why port?

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not a big chainsaw nut, i cut stuff now and then, i can appreciate a good running chainsaw that doesn't bog, when i inquired about purchasing a new saw last week some responses were buy this on ebay that's ported, or get something you can port, or whatever. And there's 40+ page thread of echo 590/620 porting, and a whole modded saws section.
I handled a 590 timberwolf at the store, too big and heavy for my needs... you're telling me when you all buy such a saw new you pull the cylinder out and start dremelling to port it to get more power? Did you guys not have an erector set when you were a kid or something, I don't get it.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not a big chainsaw nut, i cut stuff now and then, i can appreciate a good running chainsaw that doesn't bog, when i inquired about purchasing a new saw last week some responses were buy this on ebay that's ported, or get something you can port, or whatever. And there's 40+ page thread of echo 590/620 porting, and a whole modded saws section.
I handled a 590 timberwolf at the store, too big and heavy for my needs... you're telling me when you all buy such a saw new you pull the cylinder out and start dremelling to port it to get more power? Did you guys not have an erector set when you were a kid or something, I don't get it.
Don't bother porting or having your saw ported. You are not a chainsaw nut and only cut now and then; and a 590 is too big and heavy for your needs. Buy the saw you need/want and go to work. Save your money; Porting is not for everyone.

We like ported saws because they cut faster than stock saws (and make more noise). It is no different than modified motorcycles, snowmobiles, cars, trucks, go-carts, boats, etc.; just better performance is what it is all about.

Try to attend a GTG or use somebody's ported saws, then decide for yourself if you like it or not. Although, this is probably not a good idea, because if you happen to like it, you will become one of us, lol.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't bother porting or having your saw ported. You are not a chainsaw nut and only cut now and then; and a 590 is too big and heavy for your needs. Buy the saw you need/want and go to work. Save your money; Porting is not for everyone.

We like ported saws because they cut faster than stock saws (and make more noise). It is no different than modified motorcycles, snowmobiles, cars, trucks, go-carts, boats, etc.; just better performance is what it is all about.

Try to attend a GTG or use somebody's ported saws, then decide for yourself if you like it or not. Although, this is probably not a good idea, because if you happen to like it, you will become one of us, lol.
Great answer.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Because they are good for putting a smile on my face. You get to where you're cutting a lot of firewood and it sure makes it more fun. And compared to other performance motor sports, they're still a useful tool and dirt cheap. I know guys with real fancy hopped up snowmobiles, quads, motorcycles, trucks, etc. I can't afford that kinda stuff, but a port job every couple years won't cause me to miss a mortgage payment.

rpmtim

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good points already,
I’m new here so I’ll keep it short..
Pros say they like ‘em because they cut faster and time is money. Plus less fatigue when using a lighter saw that may cut like a larger one. Some pros don’t use them.
Similar to you, I'm not a pro and don’t even burn for heat. But I’m an enthusiast.. cars trucks bikes quads and even outdoor power equipment. I don’t think I'm a chainsaw nut?? Bought my first pro saw a couple years ago after running a homeowner 45cc saw for a long time, and I’ll say this.
The more you use a good running saw the better you want it to run.
Wait that sounds like something a saw nut would say..
Guess it’s one of those crossover sicknesses. Just apply it to whatever I pick up 😵‍💫

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good points already,
I’m new here so I’ll keep it short..
Pros say they like ‘em because they cut faster and time is money. Plus less fatigue when using a lighter saw that may cut like a larger one. Some pros don’t use them.
Similar to you, I'm not a pro and don’t even burn for heat. But I’m an enthusiast.. cars trucks bikes quads and even outdoor power equipment. I don’t think I'm a chainsaw nut?? Bought my first pro saw a couple years ago after running a homeowner 45cc saw for a long time, and I’ll say this.
The more you use a good running saw the better you want it to run.
Wait that sounds like something a saw nut would say..
Guess it’s one of those crossover sicknesses. Just apply it to whatever I pick up 😵‍💫

I dont burn wood for heat either, but I have 11 chainsaws!
It's a sickness! Lol

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
5:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had an Erector set. And Legos and Connex and lots of other modular building toys. Then it was wood shop, then auto shop, then welding and plumbing, HVAC, kilns and furnaces and foundries, molds and polymers and machining. Modding two strokes is just another game of physics. Ideas and action in 3 dimensions. I just love it and always have.

If you spend 8 hours a day turning a screw driver, it’s worth some time and money to make it a NICE screwdriver.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's my money and I will spend it however I want. It's your money, so buy what saw you like and run it ported or not. You are always welcome to stop by and help me cut firewood to heat home and domestic hot water.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are ported saws anymore finnicky? As in having to tune more often? I’ve always been a go fast guy but in my area ported saws are non existent so I have 0 experience with them

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
5:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are ported saws anymore finnicky? As in having to tune more often? I’ve always been a go fast guy but in my area ported saws are non existent so I have 0 experience with them
Some definitely are. Others actually start and tune easier. A good Woods Port should be dead reliable (in my opinion). Some mods will increase one element of performance but can make a saw harder to start, tune, or even cut with. That’s more in the realm of race and play saws which may need special maintenance and use procedures or just burn up if you run them too long. A good builder designs the saw to the users needs. That’s part of why reputation and experience are so important.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn’t say they are generally more finicky to tune. But they are more responsive to a good tune.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ported saws are like a good high , you always reach for that high, again and again, in a good way, as far as finicky if it’s done by a good saw builder it shouldn’t be an issue ,

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And I assume some saws have more to gain than others? Like I feel my Stihl 400 is about dialed, I’m sure it could be better but by how much? Where as my 461 I love but it’s always seemed a bit lazy to me

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@sawmikaze would be happy to explain.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm obsessed with performance and numbers and always have been. I want the snappiest, hottest machine I can have without it being unreliable.

That being said...if you don't care about that, buy a 50 or 60cc saw from any major manufacturer, keep it clean, keep good fuel and oil in it, and be a happy camper bud!

That also being said...I reach for my ported 550xp more than any other saw I own. It's light, fast, fun, and makes silly sounds. I love it.