why port?

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of dyno data has been posted here.
Ticks me off that I can not read it on my device.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
how does one "dyno" a chainsaw ?
Check out “dyno joes” site. People have commented how accurate it is. Does not really matter, he shows comparisons, before and after. Looking at his work, I would believe it is pretty accurate. What saws do you own and run, purchased any new ones lately? Keep a sharp chain and any 50-99cc will serve most people well. Good friend owns a tree service and over 50% of trees are taken down with a 201 or 540, his saws get cleaned and sharpened every night if needed, just changes chains if needed while cutting. At the moment I feel chainsaw deficient only having a ported 372 and mm550mk2.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so I picked up an echo cs-310 16", because it was the lightest saw available and at $220 was a no-brainer,
I wanted something that would do limbs once a tree is down, stuff being 1" to 10" in thickness.

out of curiosity... for what is a 30cc engine what benefits could be had if I did "porting" mods and whatnot if I get bored this winter and want to be crazy like you people? is something like that worth it on a 30cc?

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so I picked up an echo cs-310 16", because it was the lightest saw available and at $220 was a no-brainer,
I wanted something that would do limbs once a tree is down, stuff being 1" to 10" in thickness.

out of curiosity... for what is a 30cc engine what benefits could be had if I did "porting" mods and whatnot if I get bored this winter and want to be crazy like you people? is something like that worth it on a 30cc?

There's guys on here that would spend a year of their life and thousands of dollars to figure out how to make a fork get to their mouth faster...some people are just like that by nature, I'm a lightweight compared to most of these dudes...I'm not that in to it.

There's worse things you can do with your time, if it tickles your pickle try it.

I like some ported saws because they make what I do less of a drag and make me more efficient..some guys hate them and the noise they can make. You can decide that...sometimes I hate the noise too.

buckin-wood

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know about the cs310 in particular, but most any saw can be improved over the factory configuration. You'll be slightly limited because of the clamshell design. You can raise the exhaust and lower the intake, but can't easily move the ports in the other directions with just a dremel/foredom.

Widening the exhaust port and cleaning up the casting, coupled with a muffler mod should yield some gains even if you're not changing the port timing. I'm sure someone here has been into a cs310. I searched youtube real quick and there are several videos of cs-310s with various mods done. Maybe go through those and see if they look they're worth the effort. It will also give you an idea about how much more noise it will make with a muffler mod.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
12:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Just a muffler mod will gain a significant performance bump. But it will be much louder.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of these days Dan.
All I have right now is white pine.
They make a sap-sickle out of saws.

bucketofguts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a very nice stock low hours 1990 262xp. I was told to just run it and smile. Not even do a gasket delete. I do have and have ridden, run, driven, held on for dear life machines that have been made to double the power they made new and were scary then. Two strokes with a little artistry in the air movement and combustion come alive.Yes even a good muffler mod and a little tuning, with a scary sharp chain.Will have noticeable feel-good quality in the cut.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What cylinder and carb are on that saw? Let’s see a picture! I cut with a KS 87 262 for over 20 years. Back then I would leave by 371 for that 262, hot rod of it’s day.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a very nice stock low hours 1990 262xp. I was told to just run it and smile. Not even do a gasket delete. I do have and have ridden, run, driven, held on for dear life machines that have been made to double the power they made new and were scary then. Two strokes with a little artistry in the air movement and combustion come alive.Yes even a good muffler mod and a little tuning, with a scary sharp chain.Will have noticeable feel-good quality in the cut.
^

bucketofguts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What cylinder and carb are on that saw? Let’s see a picture! I cut with a KS 87 262 for over 20 years. Back then I would leave by 371 for that 262, hot rod of it’s day.
It is #0200903. I think this one came from Canada? No XP on the name tag and a 4 bolt muffler, two more in the oil tank. 87 carb and K cylinder. MD you have muster dogs to help you.heard cats.