3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Devcon for aluminum.:beer-toast1:

Wow, I never even thought about there being metal specific formulas but it certainly makes sense

Wonder if they change the formulation to match the thermal expansion characteristics of the intended base metal and the adherence properties as well?

Hmmmmm...

:confundio1:

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, I never even thought about there being metal specific formulas but it certainly makes sense

Wonder if they change the formulation to match the thermal expansion characteristics of the intended base metal and the adherence properties as well?

Hmmmmm...

:confundio1:
Not sure but you would think so for the price they want for the stuff.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, maybe i get some of that stuff, i only used jb weld once, wasn't to bad.
Devcon is definitely a much better product than JB, and is the only product I would use in such a critical area where it needs to stay put or you have catastrophic consequences. Devcon is what Randy and others use. JB has it's place and is a fine product, but I won't be using in an intake. Not a big fan of epoxy in the intake in a real work saw, as it just adds another fail point. It's still just epoxy, which to me means temporary.

Devcon is less expensive than JB, especially if you use it regularly.

Last edited:

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've have yet have JB weld in my intakes let go in any of the Saw's I've put it in it's the exhaust side that I found out that JB weld is no good bad idea I would consider paying 40 something dollars for the Devcon if I new that it would hold up to the extreme heat of the exhaust.:beer-toast1:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've have yet have JB weld in my intakes let go in any of the Saw's I've put it in it's the exhaust side that I found out that JB weld is no good bad idea I would consider paying 40 something dollars for the Devcon if I new that it would hold up to the extreme heat of the exhaust.:beer-toast1:
40 is extremely inexpensive, especially for the amount you get IMHO. I've seen Devcon last in the exhaust roof of a hot 084 built by big Dave.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mhh in this thread randy said he went back to jb weld http://opeforum.com/threads/epoxies.748/

Tree Monkey is also using jb weld in this video

I'm just a little confused :eyepop: is it really so much more dangerous when some of the best builders us it?
Sorry but I'm not going to read through that long thread. Last I knew most were still using Devcon. Use what you like.

I will not use JB in the intake, as I feel Devcon a superior product. I will also not use epoxy in a saw that needs to be bullit proof, the gains just are not worth the potential failure IMHO.[emoji111]