av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
3:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My MOFO 261 wouldn’t run after removing the carb, pressing out the main jet for “opening” and reassembly.
Saw flooded. Carb was removed a second time for inspection. Should go. But didn’t. I changed the solenoid. No joy. I hooked up the MDG1 and when it would not communicate with the control unit I found this. I had mash-*f-worded this connector and bent one of the tiny pins inside. It is very hard to straighten those little pins. This one looks straight but is L shaped. Blew most of the day on this. Oh well. IMG_5739.jpeg

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one looks straight but is L shaped. Blew most of the day on this. Oh well.
Good to know, empty out the swear jar before disconnecting the carb on a 261. Knowing me, I would have probably broken off that little connector pin and would have been chasing my tail until I saw it laying on the bench and wondering where it came from...

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to know, empty out the swear jar before disconnecting the carb on a 261. Knowing me, I would have probably broken off that little connector pin and would have been chasing my tail until I saw it laying on the bench and wondering where it came from...
IF I even found it.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To be clear, this MOFO saw was a beast of a 50cc before I undertook the job of opening up the jet. Al had experimented with one and found that opening it up allowed one to “lean into” the saw more when necessary and suggested I give it a try on one of his saws. He was right. The saw likes the extra fuel when pushed and it pulls hard for longer. It’s nothing like a 50cc saw. I just made a video of immediately after I discovered the bent wire and got it running. It’s most interesting to watch it learn of its new fuel jet in the cut. The log is white oak right at 18” and the bar on the saw is 20” .325. This morning I’ll put an 18” bar on it a check out the “lean on it” factor.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To be clear, this MOFO saw was a beast of a 50cc before I undertook the job of opening up the jet. Al had experimented with one and found that opening it up allowed one to “lean into” the saw more when necessary and suggested I give it a try on one of his saws. He was right. The saw likes the extra fuel when pushed and it pulls hard for longer. It’s nothing like a 50cc saw. I just made a video of immediately after I discovered the bent wire and got it running. It’s most interesting to watch it learn of its new fuel jet in the cut. The log is white oak right at 18” and the bar on the saw is 20” .325. This morning I’ll put an 18” bar on it a check out the “lean on it” factor.
Did you do the reset after you enlarged that??

What year is that saw??

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Listening to the video, sounded like he did the reset during the cut. You can hear the saw going through adjustments and then it seems to settle in to its rhythm.
I know the first versions were reset In cut, I belive the newest version does not reset in wood, atleast the manual to mine says that way…

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What year is that saw??
image.jpg
I put the 18” .325 bar on it this morning and the Beast is back. I’ve always run the 18 but had installed the 20 and put it up. With the 18 the improvement in the torque is very noticeable. I used to have a ms260 ported by Al that was a little torque monster. It had a 16 light 3/8 pitch that was almost unstoppable.
I had the 261 that was my light saber with the 18 but it could not be pushed like the ms260. Quite honestly, I think with opening up the main jet on this saw I’ve got em both now again, in one saw. I was a bonehead mashing that tiny pin. I mess with stuff like that all the time in aircraft and I’ve never mashed a pin in a connector. But I learned the hard way. I guess I’m not too old for that.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 411504
I put the 18” .325 bar on it this morning and the Beast is back. I’ve always run the 18 but had installed the 20 and put it up. With the 18 the improvement in the torque is very noticeable. I used to have a ms260 ported by Al that was a little torque monster. It had a 16 light 3/8 pitch that was almost unstoppable.
I had the 261 that was my light saber with the 18 but it could not be pushed like the ms260. Quite honestly, I think with opening up the main jet on this saw I’ve got em both now again, in one saw. I was a bonehead mashing that tiny pin. I mess with stuff like that all the time in aircraft and I’ve never mashed a pin in a connector. But I learned the hard way. I guess I’m not too old for that.
…ya that reset is different from the new ones I belive…I would say look up whatever reset you need and do it just because….

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 411504
By the way nice saw for sure!!

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag

What year is that saw??
We drilled the jet bigger on my 2019 stump shot 261 at Kevin’s gtg a couple years ago. No reset needed. That saw was extremely lean and needed the extra fuel. It behaved just like in @av8or3 s video for a cut or two and has been a champ ever since.