Inside the MS500i - Snellerized Style

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a 82 Kawi 1000 … pretty bad for it's day! Guy that owned it before me put a larger sprocket on the back, if you twisted the throttle fast it would really wake you up ... they were not as fast, but were a lot more crude back then!

What scared me most was if you turned your head at highway speeds it would torque you off to one side or the other. I decided to get rid of it while I still had all my limbs. My good friend worked as an X-Ray Technician and he referred to bike riders as "Organ Donors"!

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm skeered, lol. I just fear that someday it'll turn lose. I've never felt the need to enough to take that risk. My fears may be totally unfounded. I've seen JBWeld do amazing things!

Yes, they are all rev limited. I don't mind though since they auto tune and don't hit the limiter in the cut.

Some saws might really benefit from epoxy

I've been afraid to try JB weld too, but I figure if you grind a pocket for it and put enough in so that even if it was loose it will be too big to fall out in any direction. I'm going to try it on my 2188 when I get around to modifying it more. It is already too peaky for my liking muffler modded with an 8t rim. Good for high speed 18" cuts, but difficult to keep it in the powerband with a 32" bar. I'll be taking the base gasket out which will lower the intake even farther, so I'll definitely want to fill it in.

With the short stroke on that saw, it might do 13,000rpm in the cut with a racing port job. I wonder how early the rev limiter kicks in?

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I imagine it would hold a high rpm in the cut with a lower intake. Tough decision really. Someday I'd like to try that, but I prefer to go the way of lots of low end torque on this one.
If it holds more rpm under load than you have more torque, if it lays down as soon as you use any pressure, that's different. Now with the stock 88 carb more intake will likely do you some good, something bigger not so much IMHO.[emoji111]

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A stock Harley is enough to scare anybody accustomed to something with good handling and brakes. First time I took a Harley through a turn was a religious experience.
first and last time i rode a Harley, i got skeered cuz had a cop with his lights and siren going, and following me for who knows how long cuz i couldn't hear the siren over the screaming eagle package lol the scare factor was, i didn't have a license let alone a permit.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Some saws might really benefit from epoxy

I've been afraid to try JB weld too, but I figure if you grind a pocket for it and put enough in so that even if it was loose it will be too big to fall out in any direction. I'm going to try it on my 2188 when I get around to modifying it more. It is already too peaky for my liking muffler modded with an 8t rim. Good for high speed 18" cuts, but difficult to keep it in the powerband with a 32" bar. I'll be taking the base gasket out which will lower the intake even farther, so I'll definitely want to fill it in.

With the short stroke on that saw, it might do 13,000rpm in the cut with a racing port job. I wonder how early the rev limiter kicks in?
Dont use JB weld. Its garbage. Get some Devcon brand epoxy.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dont use JB weld. Its garbage. Get some Devcon brand epoxy.
Lol, I wouldn’t call it garbage. Only because I’ve never seen a failure with it. I’m sure there has been, but most likely not mixed correctly or poor surface prep.
I’m sure there are higher end products, but JB works just fine.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
JB works fine. The Devcon I have is better, and really not that expensive, especially considering how much is in a can.

I was a millwright for many years back in the 70s and 80s

We used a Devcon commercial product that had steel particles in it

It came in two cans of very unequal size with snap down lids like a paint can

The resin was gray/black and the hardener was translucent amber and looked like old time axle grease

Once hardened you could file it, sand it, grind it, machine it, and as long as you prepped the surface it was NOT coming off of there

You could rebuild a wallowed out keyway, use shim stock and release agent to build up a bearing surface on a conveyor shaft and it would hold until you could get a new shaft (or longer)

We used it for everything under the sun

I wish I knew if they still made the same product

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was a millwright for many years back in the 70s and 80s

We used a Devcon commercial product that had steel particles in it

It came in two cans of very unequal size with snap down lids like a paint can

The resin was gray/black and the hardener was translucent amber and looked like old time axle grease

Once hardened you could file it, sand it, grind it, machine it, and as long as you prepped the surface it was NOT coming off of there

You could rebuild a wallowed out keyway, use shim stock and release agent to build up a bearing surface on a conveyor shaft and it would hold until you could get a new shaft (or longer)

We used it for everything under the sun

I wish I knew if they still made the same product
Devcon and JB are not in the same league. The only thing I will use JB for is bedding rifle scope bases. Because it's easy to break/ remove when you want to switch bases.