Inside the MS500i - Snellerized Style

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
4:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finally got my grubby hands on one of these bad boys. It showed up yesterday, straight off the boat from Greece. I wasn't feeling well last night, so tonight was the night.

1-L.jpg

2-L.jpg

3-L.jpg

4-L.jpg

5-L.jpg

6-L.jpg

7-L.jpg

The first two things I noticed was that it started in only 4 pulls and had instant throttle response...brand new, straight out of the box, no fuel ever in it, and cold. It was then time to hit the wood pile. I have very little wood here, so only four cuts were made, basically to make sure it ran right. The cuts in this video are the very first cuts it made, shortly after the very first start. It ran very well with good power and not a single hiccup. It definitely has more power than a new MS462, as it should.

It then went straight to the bench, just like most saws that I port.
These next couple of pics were simply for reference should I need them for reassembly.
8-L.jpg

9-L.jpg

10-L.jpg

Here's your burn pattern after the first 4 cuts.
11-L.jpg

I used a mandrel to cut the squishband. (Thanks Randy! It's the same one you made for me to cut 066/MS660s several years ago). I took the pic after the first cut so that the shape of the squishband would be more evident. I debated doing a popup on the piston, but chose to go with cutting the squishband since the combustion chamber is kind of odd shaped.
12-L.jpg

After cutting, I use 120 grit and then 220 grit to smooth and even it up. The sanding will remove any inconsistencies introduced with the cutter. You simply sand until all of the cut surface has been sanded, indicating that there are now no low or high spots.
13-L.jpg

Here's some of my port layout. I like to mark existing port edges, pin locations, and desired port edges.

The intake was smoothed and the roof slightly reshaped. It was not made larger in any dimension. There's very little room to widen the transfers due to the ring end location.
14-L.jpg

This saw has very short blowdown, so the transfers were only leveled, not raising the front of the port at all. That's why you see a little of the NiSi lining remaining in the port. I left the primaries opening 2° before the secondaries. This is a technique I have done for several years. It's interesting to see Stihl incorporate that into this saw. By the way, these lines are remarked several times as I check and refine my work.
15-L.jpg

16-L.jpg

The exhaust was raised several degrees. This gave me some additional blowdown and made up for dropping the cylinder.
17-L.jpg

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Here's some of the final port work.
18-L.jpg

19-L.jpg

19-L.jpg

21-L.jpg

22-L.jpg

23-L.jpg

24-L.jpg

OK, I'm probably going to catch some flack for this ugly grinding, but oh well. It's the inside of the muffler and I'm not sure how you'd make it pretty anyway. I suppose bead blasting would help, but I don't have a sand blaster. Fire away! Lol :)

I pitch my tent in the "Just let it flow" camp. I am not of the opinion that there is any performance tuning to these muffler. I believe it's all for sound and decibel control. I simply want it to exit the saw as fast and easily as possible. I could be wrong, but that's how I do it.
25-L.jpg

26-L.jpg

27-L.jpg

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's where I'm going to disappoint you and not give you and videos of it cutting, no evidence that I've made any kind of improvement. It was going on midnight here when I got it done. Weather permitting, I'll have a video of it in the wood tomorrow evening.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
11:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's where I'm going to disappoint you and not give you and videos of it cutting, no evidence that I've made any kind of improvement. It was going on midnight here when I got it done. Weather permitting, I'll have a video of it in the wood tomorrow evening.

Nice work there, Brad. Mine is ported also, but I have a few changes I want to make before it's complete. :)

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice.

I bet the injection is responsible for the instant throttle response. It’s always been more reliable at that.

I wonder what a small 90* bent piece of steel added to the PTO muffler flange bolt would do to sound and performance? Could be easily removed. Like the area in blue.
E1307D8C-7C96-426D-A8E6-44AD9C1B466E.jpeg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
OK, I'm probably going to catch some flack for this ugly grinding, but oh well. It's the inside of the muffler and I'm not sure how you'd make it pretty anyway. I suppose bead blasting would help, but I don't have a sand blaster. Fire away! Lol :)
25-L.jpg

26-L.jpg

27-L.jpg

Nice work Brad. I'm not sure anybody who has ever done any muffler work can fault you for your work bud, but this is a chainsaw forum so prolly will happen:tiburon:

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I'll be the first to say it.... That's some awful looking grinding!!!
Eh it's just going to get covered with carbon and unburned erl anyway. Few tanks and you wont be able to see it. However, if you're like me you won't be able to "unsee" it.;)

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent thread Mr Snelling. Good to see you working on saws.

I'm planning on leaving mine unfueled for awhile. Once I get another one here....I'll start modding them. Good to have one for a baseline....
At least we know it still runs after porting :)