Inside the MS462C

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just hope it wakes up the same as other saws, or it's a yawn!

Never saw a piston as funky as that.

The 461 I repaired (for a local tree guy) had a chunk out of the bottom of the piston that I think was heat related, but the cylinder was OK, was able to clean it up and re use it. I vented the muffler real well, removed the carb limiters, and the saw is still running (in professional use).

Actually people should hope that it runs so well guys don't have to spend more money to get the performance they are lookin for.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am I crazy??? I measure a used 460 piston where the rings are and get 2.040, but when I measure the skirt I get 2.045??? Is this normal???

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually people should hope that it runs so well guys don't have to spend more money to get the performance they are lookin for.

It is only rated at 6 HP, but ported saws of this size are a good deal better than that.

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very cool of him to tear down a new saw and to take so many pictures along the way. Definitely some new thinking on this one and the coolest spikes I've seen in awhile. Hopefully they're just as functional. Glad to see it's a single split Venturi carb too. I cant wait for these to hit the states.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is only rated at 6 HP, but ported saws of this size are a good deal better than that.

I know that mike, but it would be nice if it ran well enough from the factory or just with a muffler mod that people were totally satisfied with the performance.

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking out loud here....Air filter appears to be the same as 362/261. Wonder if the carb on these will be an easy swap/upgrade for a 261. 362 obviously not feasible with the twin butterfly setup but this looks really similar to the 261 carb box.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know that mike, but it would be nice if it ran well enough from the factory or just with a muffler mod that people were totally satisfied with the performance.
It would be great for the saws to have ported performance out the box...maybe someone should send Stihl a ported 461 or 661 to show them the way...

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does that have slacker main bearings like the 661. If so I would check them for play and smoothness. The vertical lines on the piston and cylinder looks to me like the bearings are shedding some small flakes. I have 2 661 pistons that are junk from junk slacker bearings with a saw that has about 40hrs on it.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the general masses- stock will be sufficient. The weirdos on these sites (myself included) probably make up 1/10th of 1 percent of gross sales for these companies annually. In line with that- 99.9% of users will be completely satisfied with the saw.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does that have slacker main bearings like the 661. If so I would check them for play and smoothness. The vertical lines on the piston and cylinder looks to me like the bearings are shedding some small flakes. I have 2 661 pistons that are junk from junk slacker bearings with a saw that has about 40hrs on it.
I find it interesting that you say the slacker bearings have been garbage in the saws, I've used them in the automotive world often with good result.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
12:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I happened to be at the dealer today when these pics got posted. I showed them to him and get actually got a little excited. Asked me if I was going to get one sent over from Germany...

Stihl Canada was having their National Sales meetings this week, he's calling his rep Monday morning to see if they said anything about the 462's at the meetings.

I told him to put me down for 4 arctics and he about *s-word himself...

astnmacgto

Earn a living with white powdery substances
Local time
12:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I see they are going with the slanted back cylinder design like the 5 series huskys.

What have they figured out by doing that?