How many loops of chain does a guy need

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
6:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yesterday, one of my neighbors brought his saw down and asked me to sharpen the chain.
When he saw the number of chains I had, he asked why I was hoarding. He thinks one loop per saw, is all that's really needed and more than two qualifies as hoarding. While I know he's wrong, it got me thinking.
I have six saws and use five different chains. I have a total of 37 chain loops. None of the chains I have are junk, all are serviceable. 20 are new and have never been on a saw.
I realize that if I posted this in the saw forum, I'd be called a slacker.
For a firewood guy, what is a reasonable number?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The more chains you rotate in use the longer they will last and wear is minimised. Having 5 chains per bar size ain't silly & will keep you cutting in the field longer getting work done. At the end of the day you can grind them so their ready to go again. Don't worry about your neighbour, he may do the same with dress shoes having a dozen of the same style in his wardrobe. Its not like chain has a used by date, by it in bulk when you find good deals & you will be glad you did down the road.

radio

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that I'm addicted to chains, not chainsaws. I like to have 4 good loops and 1 junker for each bar and for each type of chain. So with chisel and semi-chisel that would be 8 to 10 loops per bar.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like to keep 3 chains per bar with one new one in the shop. Every saw it have has at least 2 bars most have three. So that is roughly 32-40 chains. I haven't counted lately. Lol

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aside from having enough sharp chains that fit a specific saw / bar combination, there is the question about different types of chain: full-chisel, semi-chisel, race ground chain, stumping chain, skip tooth chain, chains ground for frozen wood, chains ground for soft wood, etc., etc., etc., for different applications!

Philbert

("There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich, . . . ")

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have 2 full chisel and 2 semi-chisel for each bar. The semi normally never gets used unless I am at a charity cut or sometimes a stump.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i keep a spare chain per saw i can field sharpen a chain really good as long as i keep up with my stump vice.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i dont want to say im a hoarder but in some eyes i am i have 2 100 foot rolls a 25 foot roll and probably 50 or more loops i have not counted and refuse to do so though i do want another 100 foot roll if things go good for me

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have posted this before, but I have run across a number of guys who use a chain once. Replace it when its dull.

Some toss them out; some sell them on eBay or CL as 'used once, never sharpened'. One guy told me that the difference in what he buys them and sells them for is about what he would have to pay someone to sharpen, and he always has new chain.

I have bought some 'used once, never sharpened' off of eBay - good deal for both of us.

Philbert

Muddsaw

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can't say that anyone has a problem here. Well other than the ppl who are too sorry to sharpen a saw chain. It's easy don't take but a few min and pays off big time. It takes about 3 or 4 times of sharpening to get a brand new chain perfect, and all your rakers right. Most of the new chains I have gotten lately have at least 2 or 3 rakers that are too tall for the tooth to cut and have to be lowered. U can tell cause the tooth still looks new and unused after a few hrs of cutting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you keep at it long enough you amass a lot of things .I most likely have 40 chains besides what is on 40-50 saws plus maybe 40 still in boxes and several rolls of bulk .Probably have 40 bars that aren't on saws already .Tonnage when it comes to lathe tools drill bits and what not .I hardly even buy much any more it just shows up like stray cats .