How many loops of chain does a guy need

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found an ad for loops on Craigslist years ago. It turns out the guy was a Husqvarna dealer that went out of business years before. He was selling off stuff he haa in his garage.

He said he had demo days where he would let guys run different saws. Everybody got a brand new loop every time. He had countless loops for $4 each. I bought 10 for every firewood saw I have that day. That was a great score.
This can be a cheap good way to buy chain. Often the choice is thin but if you use the gauge/pitch and have a breaker/spinner its can keep you cutting really cheap. Last year I bought 25 loops of used but never resharpened 44dl Carlton N1 for about $100 delivered. That will keep pole saws & top handles going for a good bit.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found an ad for loops on Craigslist years ago. It turns out the guy was a Husqvarna dealer that went out of business years before. He was selling off stuff he had in his garage.

He said he had demo days where he would let guys run different saws. Everybody got a brand new loop every time. He had countless loops for $4 each. I bought 10 for every firewood saw I have that day. That was a great score.
There's a rental place here that sells used chain on Craigslist. Their ad pops up a couple times a year. They put a new Stihl safety chain on a saw when it's rented and don't sharpen them when they're returned. Some are in good shape, others not so much. I have a friend who bought a couple loops.
Theirs aren't as cheap as you found them but are still reasonable, $8-$12.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a rental place here that sells used chain on Craigslist.
A few places also sell the 'once-used-never-sharpened' chains from rental saws on eBay. But you have to pay attention: I have seen sets of 6 loops sell for almost as much (once shipping is included) as my local STIHL dealer sells them for.

I did buy a number of narrow kerf chains that way off of eBay a year or so ago - they are not as popular, so there was less bidding on them, and I got them for $4 - $6 each (shipped). One seller even contacted me afterwards, and asked if I wanted to buy more!

It is worth stopping by a few local rental places and asking; they might be tossing chains in the trash and be happy to work something ou. I know at least one place around here that sharpens theirs. And I have asked at a couple of Home Depots: they throw theirs in the trash/recycling, partially due to liability concerns, and partially because they want to sell you new chains!

Philbert

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The fact rental companies factor in the cost of a new chain in their pricing often means any monies recovered from used chain is a bonus. Turning up with a bundle of cash in hand could net a favourable outcome to the saw user. The manager probably don't know the cost of chain nor cares.....but some beer money for the boys...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'once-used-never-sharpened' - Explained

1) Rental company rents saw to inexperienced user (does not have own saw), who promptly drives the chain into the dirt, then complains that he was given a dull chain. By placing a new chain on each rental, and showing this to the user, this complaint is less likely to happen. Rental company builds the price of a new chain into each saw rental.

2) Busy, for profit company calculates the cost (including overhead) of their paid employees sharpening chain versus earning income and decides that it is cheaper to buy new chains than to spend time sharpening.

3) Sawyer who wants to cut, but does not want to sharpen. Unhappy with the quality of local sharpening service (say, at $7 per chain). Buys $20 loops in quantity, and gets 20% discount (pays $16 per loop). Uses chains once, then replaces. Sells used chains on Craig'sList or eBay for $12 each (40% off new, retail price). Net price is $4 per use ($16 - $12), versus $7 to get sharpened.

Could be a good deal for the right buyer and seller.

Philbert

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I had too many bars, too many chain loops, and too many saws. Then a lady sawyer just ordered a 16" and an 18" bar for a Stihl 025, each bar with one new chain and a used chain for backup. I had to scrounge like mad to fill her order, but finally I found them all.

If you multiplied all the chainsaw bars by all the chains that fit them and by the saws that pull them, the number would likely astound you. I could bring all the usable chain loops that I own (at least 200) to a typical GTG, and a guy there would likely have a rather recent saw holding a bar with a chain that would not match any of the chains that I own.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IL need another carlton or stihl chain for the 360t think I have 4 or 5 left but I heard it grab a fence. I was not running it at the moment so that's my disclaimer. It ripped a few cutters off and bent a few back. IL post pics tomorrow

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
'once-used-never-sharpened' - Explained

1) Rental company rents saw to inexperienced user (does not have own saw), who promptly drives the chain into the dirt, then complains that he was given a dull chain. By placing a new chain on each rental, and showing this to the user, this complaint is less likely to happen. Rental company builds the price of a new chain into each saw rental.

2) Busy, for profit company calculates the cost (including overhead) of their paid employees sharpening chain versus earning income and decides that it is cheaper to buy new chains than to spend time sharpening.

3) Sawyer who wants to cut, but does not want to sharpen. Unhappy with the quality of local sharpening service (say, at $7 per chain). Buys $20 loops in quantity, and gets 20% discount (pays $16 per loop). Uses chains once, then replaces. Sells used chains on Craig'sList or eBay for $12 each (40% off new, retail price). Net price is $4 per use ($16 - $12), versus $7 to get sharpened.

Could be a good deal for the right buyer and seller.

Philbert
Well yeah buddy. If you don't se sparks flying then keep pushing