Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do carbide tipped loops count as more than one regular chain loop? o_O

If not I might have to fish out those stumping loops without any teeth left on them to have a sufficient loop count, and even then it'll be a close call. :confused:

It would be easiest to just dispose off all but two bars, one small mount, one large mount and just mount them forth and back on my two small and two large saws.
That would at least quadruple my loop count per bar. :D

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do carbide tipped loops count as more than one regular chain loop? o_O

If not I might have to fish out those stumping loops without any teeth left on them to have a sufficient loop count, and even then it'll be a close call. :confused:

It would be easiest to just dispose off all but two bars, one small mount, one large mount and just mount them forth and back on my two small and two large saws.
That would at least quadruple my loop count per bar. :D

I just so happen to have 2- 5 gallon buckets full of Chain That I could be persuaded to let geaux of, for the wright price, of coarse.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just so happen to have 2- 5 gallon buckets full of Chain That I could be persuaded to let geaux of, for the wright price, of coarse.
I would love to sift through buckets full of loops.
Shipping would be a killer though!

It would be much easier to just buy a dozen loops of cheap TriLink chains and be done with it.
The seller I got mine from now carries 3/8" LowProfile as well so I could divide the purchase evenly between my saws/bars.

You guys have it easy, chains (and bars) seem more affordable in the US then they are in Europe.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would love to sift through buckets full of loops.
Shipping would be a killer though!

It would be much easier to just buy a dozen loops of cheap TriLink chains and be done with it.
The seller I got mine from now carries 3/8" LowProfile as well so I could divide the purchase evenly between my saws/bars.

You guys have it easy, chains (and bars) seem more affordable in the US then they are in Europe.

Now I understand: I'm proud that you have Saws at all.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I understand: I'm proud that you have Saws at all.
Not sure whether I get that remark...

If what I think You meant by that is correct I'm not liking it.

I don't have buckets full of chains because I prefer buying quality loops - Dolmar, Oregon, and recently Carlton and Stihl.
Also, here nobody gives anybody anything for free, lest chainsaws, bars or chains.
I also do not have a dozen loops "in usage" as I personally see no benefit from it taking in account what I do.

It's late at 1:40AM, good night!

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure whether I get that remark...

If what I think You meant by that is correct I'm not liking it.

I don't have buckets full of chains because I prefer buying quality loops - Dolmar, Oregon, and recently Carlton and Stihl.
Also, here nobody gives anybody anything for free, lest chainsaws, bars or chains.
I also do not have a dozen loops "in usage" as I personally see no benefit from it taking in account what I do.

It's late at 1:40AM, good night!

Your location; I would think excess Chain is not as big a priority in your part of the world, & probably not as many saw people.

Added:
Exactly.

Does it matter that these bucket chains are all Carlton, Stihl, & Oregon? [emoji851]

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought that Your remark was meant in a more offending way.
My sincere apologies for that!
All is cool! :cool:

Yes indeed, location is a big influence and no Croatia is not very big on chainsaws, bars and chainsaw chains.
There are many homeowners, and yes most of them heat with firewood but processing equipment is kept to a minimum.
Preprocessed firewood and bandsaws are very popular.
Also, pellets and pressed wood briquets are getting lots of attention these last two years.

In my surrounding I am considered an oddity for loving to run chainsaws all day long.
I am being looked upon for using a saw like my PS-7900 for any kind of job at hand just for wanting to get some trigger time on her.
Last year I openly offered everyone I know to help cut their firewood for the cost of spent fuel.
Not counting my uncle who's logs I've been bucking for a few years now only two neighbors accepted my offer - one of whom I never even asked for a refund for spent fuel.
I guess everybody else assumed there was a catch, but honestly there wasn't.

I personally buy firewood logs once a year, usually about 7-8 cubic meter.
I buck and split that amount in about a week, alone without help, while going to work every day.
That been said my desire and urge to run chainsaws is far from being fulfilled.

When cutting my own firewood and bucking my uncle's I spend one loop every two years - that is how little trigger time I get on my saws and that is why I have only one loop per saw in usage. :(

Again, my apologies for misunderstanding Your post.
Cheers, :beer-toast1:

P.S. / Edit:
No matter what brand of loops those buckets contain I would love to sift through them out of curiosity and fun! ;)

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Sifting through chain buckets' can be educational. I have learned a lot about chains by learning how to repair, rehabilitate, and restore them. You get to see how other people use their chains, what wears, etc., as well as some unique or unfamiliar brands, configurations, etc.

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Sifting through chain buckets' can be educational. I have learned a lot about chains by learning how to repair, rehabilitate, and restore them. You get to see how other people use their chains, what wears, etc., as well as some unique or unfamiliar brands, configurations, etc.

Philbert
I kinda envy You! glare.gif

Then again, I'm glad for You! :)

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought that Your remark was meant in a more offending way.
My sincere apologies for that!
All is cool! :cool:

Yes indeed, location is a big influence and no Croatia is not very big on chainsaws, bars and chainsaw chains.
There are many homeowners, and yes most of them heat with firewood but processing equipment is kept to a minimum.
Preprocessed firewood and bandsaws are very popular.
Also, pellets and pressed wood briquets are getting lots of attention these last two years.

In my surrounding I am considered an oddity for loving to run chainsaws all day long.
I am being looked upon for using a saw like my PS-7900 for any kind of job at hand just for wanting to get some trigger time on her.
Last year I openly offered everyone I know to help cut their firewood for the cost of spent fuel.
Not counting my uncle who's logs I've been bucking for a few years now only two neighbors accepted my offer - one of whom I never even asked for a refund for spent fuel.
I guess everybody else assumed there was a catch, but honestly there wasn't.

I personally buy firewood logs once a year, usually about 7-8 cubic meter.
I buck and split that amount in about a week, alone without help, while going to work every day.
That been said my desire and urge to run chainsaws is far from being fulfilled.

When cutting my own firewood and bucking my uncle's I spend one loop every two years - that is how little trigger time I get on my saws and that is why I have only one loop per saw in usage. :(

Again, my apologies for misunderstanding Your post.
Cheers, :beer-toast1:

P.S. / Edit:
No matter what brand of loops those buckets contain I would love to sift through them out of curiosity and fun! ;)

Not in the least.

Hopefully your trigger time will increase.

You've got a 7900? I bet that is considered a big Saw for your area. They are great Saws.

When I was in the East, most of the shops only had MS170/180 & homeowner string trimmers, except for the 1 shop who supplies the mill in each area: MS440 was available, new, in 2015, my last trip over.

2 Rings & A Flattop, LLC Test Dummy

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not in the least.

Hopefully your trigger time will increase.

You've got a 7900? I bet that is considered a big Saw for your area. They are great Saws.

When I was in the East, most of the shops only had MS170/180 & homeowner string trimmers, except for the 1 shop who supplies the mill in each area: MS440 was available, new, in 2015, my last trip over.

2 Rings & A Flattop, LLC Test Dummy
Small and medium sized 30-50cc saws are the most common, 60cc saws are being considered big saws.
That been said, yes a 79cc saw is a rather large saw in my area.

With possibly the exception of the Stihl dealership (who are as unpleasant as it gets) all local OPE shops top out at 62cc saws, usually generic Chinese clones with various case colors and names but the same innards.
The shop where I bought my Dolmar PS-6400 back in 2006. currently carries the Makita EA6100 as the largest in their assortment.
Back in 2006. they had a Dolmar PS-7900 with 28" bar sitting right next to my PS-6400 on the top shelve collecting dust, the price tag was a deterrent then but I wanted one ever since.
I sometimes wonder whether someone bought that saw or whether they sent it back to the general dealership.
I guess PS-7900's don't sell so well here in Croatia as they can still be had NIB with warranty from a few dealers/shops.

I own 4 saws:
- 1985's Sachs-Dolmar 105 , 40cc TopHandle , my dad bought her new in Germany , first and only gasoline power saw I had up till 2006.
- 1985's Sachs-Dolmar 108 , 40cc , sibling of the SD105 just as a rear handle design , bought her used out of nostalgia towards my Sachs-Dolmar 105
- 2001. Dolmar PS-6400 , 64cc , I bought her new 2006. , first large saw I ever used till then
- 2003. Dolmar PS-7900 , 79cc , I bought her used-not abused 2014. , largest saw I ever ran to date

That's all I have, and it serves me well.

Stihl has a large following in Croatia, but I doubt it is due to proven quality and rather the fact that people don't know that there are alternatives and rather follow the Stihl-herd being convinced that they'll get the best there is.
Old Oh-3x & 4x Stihl's are still a everyday occurrence in the 50-70cc area, 30-40cc saws tend to be those MS1xx and possibly MS2xx saws.

Bob95065

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found an ad for loops on Craigslist years ago. It turns out the guy was a Husqvarna dealer that went out of business years before. He was selling off stuff he had in his garage.

He said he had demo days where he would let guys run different saws. Everybody got a brand new loop every time. He had countless loops for $4 each. I bought 10 for every firewood saw I have that day. That was a great score.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Philbert
Did you get the clam she'll blocks cut and cleaned for display?

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a spare 1/4" chain for my new 150t. 4 or 5 chains for my 360t most are carlton and a couple stihl chains. A few look a bit short on the cutter but they cut great. Only have 1 loop for the oh26 woody pro, 3 or 4 loops for the oh34 av super I hate having too many chains around especially chains I don't use

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
015L -one chain because 1/4" pitch is expensive
036 and 362- both share six 20"
288xp- one 32"loop

I own enough for a days worth of cutting. I have enough days in between that I can get all the chains sharpened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk