High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Homemade Reduced Weight Bar

TimRD

Makin' Little Ones Out of Big Ones
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
You could probably do the carbon if you layered it in and then put it into a home made vacuum bag. If you know any guys that do a lot of woodworking or laminate counter tops they may have a pump and bag.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a friend who makes custom carbon fiber car parts for lotus's ferrari's etc. I've been meaning to talk to him about such things and the possibilities of using up some of his small scraps he may have laying around. Carbon fiber is a great option in all ways but price. Just the materials would probably be about the cost of a stihl es light and then it would still have to be manufactured. I do love the look of carbon fiber though. There's also some carbon fiber/colored kevlar blends that might be cool but I don't know if he has any laying around. I'm supposed to do some remodeling to his shop this fall and plan on trying to work in some trades. It'd likely be the only way I could afford such exotic luxuries.

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jon, if you want to try some HDPE, let me know. We use it at work. Now if you want to have it waterjetted, give me exact dimensions and I will try to have them jet it. My main concern is glue, we use mechanical fasteners on it. I'm not sure if there are any glues that will work.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Jon, if you want to try some HDPE, let me know. We use it at work. Now if you want to have it waterjetted, give me exact dimensions and I will try to have them jet it. My main concern is glue, we use mechanical fasteners on it. I'm not sure if there are any glues that will work.
You could easily melt in filler to attach hdpe around the edge.

That has promise.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score

Bud,

What form is the HDPE in? I am looking at doing a beveled edge on both sides of the cutout. So maybe it won't need to be bonded, or if it does, it would be minimally as the inner edge will act as rim, or mechanical fastener.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This might be foolish but what about this epoxy bar top stuff? Seems to hold up well on bar tops and people abuse those.

Epoxy Table Top Resin, 1:1, 2 Quart Kit, Crystal Clear, Parts A & B Included
  • 100% Solids, High Gloss, U.V. Resistant, Excellent Air Release, & Color Stability
  • Improved Impact Strength, and Surface Appearance
  • Produces a Tough, High Gloss, Water Resistant Coating
  • Gel-Time 100 Gr. Mass @ 77F, Approx. 25 Min, Full cure 48 Hours, Hardness 70-75 Shore D

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'If' you decide to do a laminated bar things become a lil different. The middle layer/sheet of a Stihl laminate is not solid, its got hollow sections everywhere which would work well for epoxy/filler to grab onto. My camera phone ain't no digital SLR, but here goes.... 1471405968386.jpg If you look closely you can see the air gaps on the inside of the cutouts which filler could go into to hold them better.

Last edited:

cease232

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This might be foolish but what about this epoxy bar top stuff? Seems to hold up well on bar tops and people abuse those.

Epoxy Table Top Resin, 1:1, 2 Quart Kit, Crystal Clear, Parts A & B Included
  • 100% Solids, High Gloss, U.V. Resistant, Excellent Air Release, & Color Stability
  • Improved Impact Strength, and Surface Appearance
  • Produces a Tough, High Gloss, Water Resistant Coating
  • Gel-Time 100 Gr. Mass @ 77F, Approx. 25 Min, Full cure 48 Hours, Hardness 70-75 Shore D

You'd be better off using west systems 2 part epoxy. It's for boats but I use it in woodworking for filling voids and knots in live edge tables etc. I think this would be the easiest solution to fill the bars.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/?redirect=false
6192c1e9400d8e4db299f541d7022b5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think you're gonna have more money into it than a new bar costs

Dearest Debbie Downer,

Yeah, and that's never happened with any project saws any of us have rebuilt, right?

Besides, once the initial investment is made, the cost goes down considerably, especially when you factor in that most of the bars I will be working with were less than $20. Except my 42", I paid $50 for that one, with a new tip.