Homemade Reduced Weight Bar

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK Anchorman - there are a bunch of YouTube videos on forming things out of old milk jugs. Leave a rabbet / shelf when you mill your holes, and pack it full of this stuff. Then shave it flush with a model making plane.

(more videos where this came from. . . )

Recycling day is Friday in my neighborhood.

Philbert

Isaac

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You'd be better off using west systems 2 part epoxy. It's for boats but I use it in woodworking for filling voids and knots in live edge tables etc. I think this would be the easiest solution to fill the bars.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/?redirect=false
6192c1e9400d8e4db299f541d7022b5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I was going to suggest. ButIi was also wondering if it would be too brittle. That being said, I've used a ton of this stuff on boats and never had it crack. Also use it to finish fiberglass columns on commercial buildings. It's pretty good stuff.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
7:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
This is what I was going to suggest. ButIi was also wondering if it would be too brittle. That being said, I've used a ton of this stuff on boats and never had it crack. Also use it to finish fiberglass columns on commercial buildings. It's pretty good stuff.

I have thought about this, but would be curious to read some specs on temp, and oil resistance.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have some plastic sheeting I'm going to use. It's almost the thickness of a bar. I've worked a lot with epoxies and while I'm sure west system has something for this.... I wouldn't spend the $$$. Plastics should be ideal if we can find a good way to mate the two.

Does a good bimetal hole saw cut a bar? How hard are they?

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have some plastic sheeting I'm going to use. It's almost the thickness of a bar. I've worked a lot with epoxies and while I'm sure west system has something for this.... I wouldn't spend the $$$. Plastics should be ideal if we can find a good way to mate the two.

Does a good bimetal hole saw cut a bar? How hard are they?

Not sure about a bimetal cutter, but I know the steel on the Japanese, older American, and Canadian bars is some hard ass steel. I found this out when modifying bars to larger mounts. The newer Oregon, WoodlandPRO, and even some of the more recent Windsor Sandvik bars are relatively soft by comparison.

I have some NOS Tsumura Rotary Tip bars that are an A176(similar to a D176 minus the oil passage through the adjuster hole), and taking them from 8mm to 9mm seemed easy enough, but after breaking a second Dremel brand tungsten carbide burr, I said, "Eff this *B-S....", and bought a set of real burrs.

20160815_184518.jpg
This is what I'm going to start with.

Though I will be having a phone conversation with Bud(@Fifelaker ) tomorrow about shipping him a bar with the pattern drawn out for water jet cutting.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
2:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back to JB Weld - we used to mix 'micro balloons' into epoxy, when building kayaks, to make a lighter weight filler material.
its a good idea, can you remember what type micro baloons?
we used micro balloons (can't remember what type ballons we used) in paint and in vinylester, great thing to improve tickness and reduse weight with.

TimRD

Makin' Little Ones Out of Big Ones
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When drilling a bar for different mounts, you don't want to use high RPM because the bar will actually harden as you work it. Once it's work hardened, you're hosed. If you're going to use a bimetal I would recommend staying at low RPM on a drill press and using plenty of oil. The annular cutter is made for that job, but if you can oil it do it, and still keep the RPMs lower so you don't have to fight the material as much.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So once I get a few of these cut, I'll probably try a few different approaches for filler. @Philbet has me intrigued with the idea of recyclying HDPE, and using multiple "posts" as a mechanical fastener, and I appreciate all the info provided on the Marine Grade epoxy resin(probably another option I'll try. The Devcon product holds promise, because of the ease of application, and after a little more research, it is very light by comparison to steel (2.33sg vs. 7.8sg).