Grease Monkey Garage

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am going to inspect it real good when I have it apart. If this thing was FWD or 4wd then yeah everything would be getting replaced.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks like a decent truck. Why the part out?
I got it from an Estate cleanup and it hadn't run.The hood was kinda on it no grill
Someone stole the steering column.
Cab has rust. I was going to use the engine a couple winters ago but it wouldn't do a complete rotation.
Sold a dump truck last summer and the injection pump was part of the sale.
Plus that bodystyle wasn't one of my favorites.
My yard needs clearing out so it drew a short straw,plus the guy who took the pump off said the engine did turn over so i am hoping to save it still. 599 block
I have a 98 3500 tow truck with a bad engine, all the newer front end parts will get saved for future use
Someone gutted the rear diff and made a plate for the pinion, so a trailer seems like a good use of the box

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friend of mine had a 66 Chevy pickup he restored to the point of pinstriping on the frame rails. It was all done except the interior. He took it for a beer run....sitting on a bucket. He goosed it a little, turned over the bucket, pulled the steering wheel off of the quick attach that wasn't latched....

He started over a couple of years later....
I detailed a Nova, can't remember what year, but it was a 4 door. I was a teen at the time. I took the seats out to clean them and shampoo the carpet. Put it back together and was going to test drive it. I hammered it to try to spin the tires out of the driveway. I forgot to put the nuts on the seat bolts. Yes, I flipped backwards, and was scrambling like a you know what to get to the brakes and steering wheel. Luckily, I didn't hit anything. Fun times.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Swapped a rad hose on the Cruiser last night since I noticed little red blobs were appearing on the frame on that side, and it was a good thing I did. First, I saw I left a John Deere wrench on the engine when I swapped the power steering hose on Monday. Second, I thought the front end has felt a little "lean-y" so I jacked it up and rocked the pass front wheel. "Tick tunk, tick tunk". Chit. Spindle nut still felt pretty snug, so since this is the 2nd time in 1.5 years it's just loosened up outta nowhere I'm redoing the wheel bearings and seals and putting on new star washers. Frustrating, but with 26*,***k on the clock stuff's bound to wear out I guess.
IMG_6032.jpegIMG_6033.jpegIMG_6035.jpegIMG_6036.jpeg

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Swapped the wheel bearings, I didn't realize how loose the old ones felt till I was packing the new ones. I also got ready to swap out the oil pressure sensor since the readings were low, but I found the actual problem 1st. As soon as I put tension on the wires one popped in half. I think it's been half busted for years and was the cause of the low reading. I'll find out for sure when I take it to work Tuesday.
IMG_6056.jpeg

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was looking at a small block 400 short block, it was local, worth a look, still might get it. But we were talking, told him about the 72 blazer and he gave me a brand new aftermarket grill shell! Kind of a shock IMG_3394.jpeg

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Friend is no longer allowed to do any of his own work!!! He installed new intake boots, one bolt lined up out of 4 ain’t bad, checked the other side and have the old gaskets was still there with a new one on top!!IMG_3426.jpegIMG_3429.jpeg

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got me a shorty I wanna 440

Always threatened to get a crew to put on my 95 Cummins chassis

I do like that early grille

When they went to the big pie pans mid year 1965, I thought they got pretty fugly.

1961 had the best grill of the sweptlines, IMO.

But they are pretty frail, and one year only, and they look like a big cheese grader.

61-d100-2-e1469470289836.jpg

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm still going to put in new ones. I didn't bring home my balancer puller, otherwise I'd have this stripped completely.
Plan is have the machine shop tank it, new cam bearings and I'll take it from there.

So does this mean you'll have time this evening to finish my stacks??

Go rent a puller from O'Reilly's?