Firewood ProSizer Laser Firewood Measuring Tool

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Twice he developer of the Prosizer promised me a prototype for testing, still haven't seen one, it was his opportunity for trialing in the Aussie market, he wont get a third chance.
Did you send him any funds?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Time for an update. I’ve cut about 8 cord using it.
Short story. I like it!
f2ba8f5736e89353ed8c5b3cc0e91e0d.jpg

The good.
The handle mounted switch is great. Cut a block. Squeeze the switch. Spot appears. Let go and cut. 8 cord so far on the battery with no fading or charging. And no laser flashing all over all the time.
The spot is visible in daylight on any log. (even 50’ away:) )
The delay to measure length is negligible. Something but nothing. And my blocks are very consistent.

The not so good.
The laser should be inside the handle.I bang it with my leg from time to time. Then my blocks are short. See calibration below.
The tilting torch mount was crap. The pivot was too loose so it would tilt whenever it wanted.
I bought a different torch mount that used rubber bands to attach. Easier to install and remove,but the rubber bands stretched and allowed for minor changes in angle. Minor angle changes result in significant length changes. I went back to the original torch mount and fixed the sloppy pivot by setting the angle then fusing the plastic together.
The cheap pressure switch had no strain relief so the wires broke. I repaired it and added strain relief.

Process.
Calibration. Before each session,or if i think the angle is off I place the saw tip in a corner and check the dot is between two marks on the gator fender. 15”-16”. Easy enough to adjust, and the original torch holder mounts firmly enough it does not move without help.
5a2b3b5815382d0866550da5b287bd51.jpg

Cutting.
Moving right. Place saw tip at log at approx length and press switch. Move right until dot appears on log then stop. Or if dot is already on log, move saw left until dot is at edge of log. Let go switch and Cut. Repeat.
3b3fb207230ddde935e9c096644c8a1f.jpg

Moving left. Finish cut and withdraw bar until tip at edge of log. Hit switch and eyeball spot on log. Let go switch and cut at spot where dot was.
911f42889dcd11a6f352b27a8d8b59dc.jpg

In both cases, you are using the tip of the bar to set the length. Important the chain has stopped moving in case it actually touches the log to avoid kickback.

End result.
It takes a fraction of a second longer to measure each cut. My blocks are now +/- 1” (except the last piece) whereas I was typically +/-4” eyeballing. It is here to stay.
Eventually I will make my own mount that locates the laser inside the handle.

What the heck do you do when the last section of log is 39”? 3x13” or 2x16+7 or ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Burn those ends first

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had this thing a while but just got around to trying it out and doing a review.
First off, it does what it says it does. Projects a small red laser onto the log. It was a sunny day and I coul still see the laser. It does take some getting used to.
Now the things I didn't like. The charging port is covered by a small rubber plug that could easily be lost. I mounted it one day after work to get it set up so I could start cutting the next day when I got home. I set it for 20" ony Husqvarna 545. I went to put it back in the power of case and it wouldn't fit with the laser mounted. It was a little aggregating to mount. It wouldn't clamp on the handle bar without used the supplied rubber strip. The Allen screws are a little hard to get to while holding it in position. It should have a toolless clamp. It also needs some sort of pivot so you can mount it higher on the bar and point it downward. It's close to the oil filler cap. It also needs a tethered plug for the USB port. It did get it my way while limbing the small tree that I cut. If I think of anything else I will add it later. All in all it's a good tool but could use some improvement.

Riftweaver

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just saw this thread and it caught my eye because I purchased a ProSizer a few weeks ago. I won't be able to test it until the weather gets warmer again and I can get into my property. I am looking forward to trying it and moving on to making it better or totally trying something else. I like the idea of it just being there and ready to measure without having to get a scale or measuring device out.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I predict that this ProSizer product will seldom be bought and used by tree-removal companies. On the other hand, they might buy one to ensure cutting a big log 6" to 8" long, thus ruining the log for splitting salable firewood.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just saw this thread and it caught my eye because I purchased a ProSizer a few weeks ago. I won't be able to test it until the weather gets warmer again and I can get into my property. I am looking forward to trying it and moving on to making it better or totally trying something else. I like the idea of it just being there and ready to measure without having to get a scale or measuring device out.

I hope you like it. I just read my post and saw the grammatical errors. I don't know why some of my words got changed between typing and posting. Hopefully everyone can understand what I meant to say. My biggest complaint is that my saw won't fit back in it's case with the laser mounted.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stumbled across the pro sizer on YouTube and it looks like I bought it about the same time this thread was started otherwise not sure how I missed this thread. AnyWho this is exactly what I’ve been wanting when consistency matters for customers. I’m really liking it so far.
b6f29292b749c18c8b76e5d56a6d13a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stumbled across the pro sizer on YouTube and it looks like I bought it about the same time this thread was started otherwise not sure how I missed this thread. AnyWho this is exactly what I’ve been wanting when consistency matters for customers. I’m really liking it so far.
b6f29292b749c18c8b76e5d56a6d13a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mounted mine with the laser on the outside. If I would have done it like you did, my saw would probably fit back in the case. I'll try it again. Boy do I feel like a dummy. I didn't look at any of the directions.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What log lengths are we trying to cut with the Pro Sizer: 6", 8", or perhaps 16"to 18" or maybe 20"? Around here., the tree service companies cut the shortest possible rounds. Even cookies show up by the dozens at the recycling centers. Then they tell the firewood suppliers, "Don't worry about log length. People burn anything you supply them with. My guys like to cut and load on shorts." :rolleyes: