Firewood Measuring Sticks

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the companies includes a small, metal, snap hook that you are supposed to stick to a belt loop, and hang the magnetic stick from.

I have one of those magnetic ones with the clip
I ran across my special clip, supplied with the stick. Not sure how I would ever replace it if lost:

Clip for Magnetic Stick.jpg

Philbert

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. I have that one. I use a bigger one. I'll see if I can grab a pic tomorrow.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
YIKES! The Woodcutter's Helper is up to $21 on eBay now. Might make sense to think about making your own now.

Philbert

Last edited:

Ontario Firewood Resource

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a Stihl tool called a pulp measure that I modified to fit any chainsaw. Its not a perfect video, it was done in haste before getting dark, I messed up the cuts I made on logs that already had angle cuts on the end. I myself made the improper cuts, but relatively consistent cuts, not the tool.

Install the tool on the opposite side of the bar that I did.

Those magnetic tools can get knocked off quickly and can end up on the chain, fibreglass cut in an instant.

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Where did you get a saw with the bar on the left side???

Thanks for the video!!!

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 270191 View attachment 270192

This is the only gizmo that turns me on lately. We have the Mingo and it works great most of the time. The paint cans have frozen or stuck open. I have the magnet sticks where I have made ticks all the way down the log and put it in my back pocket (falls out) or hoodie pocket (falls out), when I start to buck. Lately, I hold a stick over the handlebar under my hand or I bite it between cuts lol. The wood has to be darn close to 16 for most of my customers. Many times I have the luxury of holding the log with an excavator with a thumb. So it's grab, buck, get in and grab another log if I'm alone. What I like about it is when it's in your way or you don't need it for a bit, it just swings to the side. So if I'm cutting in a log pile it's still attached but out of the way.

This is called the Jober Teflon Measuring Rod. Supposedly is a Husqvarna part # but not available in the U.S.?

Husqvarna part number 531 3089 31

Cutters Choice website says no longer available also. I even called Timmerman's in Canada and they are sold out, due to the video I'm sure lol. I'm gonna make a couple this weekend.

Here is the video where I saw it.

I like this one a lot! I first saw it a month or so ago, watching Andrew use it on his Easton made channel. Great fellow, BTW.
Been looking for one since noticing it. I like that it simply folds out of the way when not in use.
I hope to have 100 cord or better for sale this coming fall, besides the cordage I need for my self. I'm heating 4500 sq ft not including the 2 car garage that I have yet to put a stove in.

I'll have to get me one of those Jober Teflons.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got this simple idea from a buddy: Get a small piece of trim wood and cut it to desired length. Walk down the log with a piece of playground chalk and mark it off as you go. Keep one in each truck, one on the quad. And if you lose one, just make another.

I think most guys are pretty good at cutting to their usual length without any gizmo like that. On the 16" I've been cutting for 30 years, I'm really close without marking. But when trying to cut to a different length than usual, most guys will drift back towards what they are used to.
I've been doing this for years now. Keeps it simple.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Rof
Yes

The bow does make it way easy to measure and cut 16" chunks. I have more bow bars just in case this one wears out.
I did stay @ a Holliday Inn last night, :)
@Mastermind

My super hero skills were hard at work bucking firewood this week. And yes it was a beautiful thing to not have any under 14" and not one made it to 17". The lion share are all right near 15" as intended.
No bow saw this time just muh laser vision.
It's good to be Super. I need a cape now :D
:campeon2:

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A lot of cool ways to measure firewood. I used to use the stick method. Had one for years with a little red paint on each end.
Then mark with lumber crayon, chalk, top handle saw, or what have you.

I'm liking the Jober deal for I can keep it on a dedicated firewood saw. I can grab my saw out of my shop, with gas & oil, walk down to the other side of my yard and start cuttin. Less stuff to carry around or leave behind. I've yet to dedicate one saw to this task though. Will be using something around 70cc and a 24'' bar though.....
I definitely want to keep my work saws out of the mix unless I need something bigger than 24" B&C. Then, I'll pick up the stick again.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jober is dead...I was actually able to find a company that made it for Husqvarna and they’re no longer in existence. I put a zip tie with a piece of solder shrink wrapped on my handle works mint when holding logs up with a machine. Other than that I use a stick and hold it in my mouth between cuts. I try to switch species for a different tastes. Lol.
34838acab9a595425c72541083a1ec6a.jpg

782373341d03537cb0c6fe2d6f4061b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Jober is dead...I was actually able to find a company that made it for Husqvarna and they’re no longer in existence. I put a zip tie with a piece of solder shrink wrapped on my handle works mint when holding logs up with a machine. Other than that I use a stick and hold it in my mouth between cuts. I try to switch species for a different tastes. Lol.
34838acab9a595425c72541083a1ec6a.jpg

782373341d03537cb0c6fe2d6f4061b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another neat idea with the zippies. Dedicates a saw for sure. I wouldn't want to have to deal with that aloft in a tree ....LOL.
I don't have a saw for the wood pile only .....yet.
I'll try and fabricate the jobber myself. Just need some close up shots. I'll have to view Andrew's vid again and or reach out to him.
If I'm successful, I'll post my creation here.
BTW, I've gnawed on some sticks myself. The fruit woods taste the best. :D

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of variations of the 'permanently' attached measuring rods. Many attach to the bar nut. The ones above appear to mount via the handle mounting screws. I suppose that you could mount some type of bracket there, that still let you quickly mount and remove the actual measuring rod?

@Ontario Firewood Resource 's rod maybe could be mounted with a wing nut for quick installation and removal?

The simplest I have seen was just a metal rod with an 'L' bent into the end, that attached to the vertical section of the saw handle with radiator clamps: could pivot out of the way, if needed.

I just think that the magnet sticks are so easy; work with any saw; on either side of the bar; require no modifications to the saw; etc. I have left them on when sectioning smaller diameter limb wood, and I have removed them after marking larger logs. Let's me keep both hands on the saw.

Philbert

Last edited: