Firewood Measuring Sticks

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
3:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone who cuts firewood has seen or thought of some way to measure pieces into equal lengths. Some guys don't care. Some have limits based on the size of their stove. Guys who sell wood might want it to stack neatly.

There are a number of methods and homemade solutions that can be used, and many products offered for sale - some of these are more convenient than others, and some may work better than others in certain circumstances.

I received a sample of the "Ott Accu-Stick Pro" magnetic measuring device to try. This is a telescoping aluminum tube that is adjustable between 14 and 26-1/2 inches, which attaches to the guide bar with a powerful, rare earth magnet.

IMG_5995.jpg
IMG_5996.jpg

The measuring stick has a black, anodized finish, and etched markings. The tip of the stick has a bright yellow, hi-viz dot for visibility, and the base is 1-1/8 inches in diameter. Overall weight is 3.4 ounces.

A longer version (19 to 36 inches), and models with metric graduations are also shown on the manufacturer's website: http://www.3ott.com/ott-accu-stick.html

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
General

The measuring stick looks and feels professionally made, with clear, accurate markings on the approximately half-inch diameter outer tube, and roughly 5/16 inch diameter inner tube. Length adjustment is simply by pulling the inner tube out, or pushing it back in. Despite this being stupidly simple, it was not clear to me at first because of a knurled nut / collar where the tubes meet, that I desperately wanted to turn (it doesn't).

Once set, the length stays set due to internal resistance. Mine felt and sounded a bit scratchy at first, and although Ott says that it is not needed, it moved more smoothly after a few drops of 3-In-One oil were drizzled down the shaft.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The magnet is STRONG - I did not try to measure the pull force, but it wanted to stick to everything, including things that I did not intend. Keep this away from your credit cards, electronics, etc.! It held really solid to the guide bars I tested it on.

IMG_6005.jpg

The Accu-Stick attaches to either side of the guide bar, depending on whether the user is cutting from the right or left end of the log. It is very simple to place and remove, unlike some measuring sticks which screw onto bar mounting nuts or clamp to saw handles, for example. No modifications to the saw are required, and it can be used on multiple saws or shared among multiple users.

IMG_6002.jpg

For simple cuts, the measuring stick can remain on the saw while bucking. The manufacturer recommends that it be nestled between the teeth of bucking dogs (if present) to minimize any interference. If preferred, the magnetic stick can be used to make marking cuts along a log, then quickly and easily removed for cutting. No calibration is needed, other than glancing at the etched markings to be sure that nothing moved.

IMG_6007.jpg

The aluminum material should be quite durable, and minimize damage to cutting teeth should it somehow make contact with the chain. While the black finish looks nice, I like the reflective tape used on the company's Hi-Viz Scrench http://opeforum.com/threads/new-flat-scrench.5286/ which would make it easier to locate in a low light, high sawdust location. A trip to the hardware store should make that mod easy to do.

I have limited firewood to buck right now, and hope to take this to an upcoming GTG fairly soon, where we can give it a good work out and get some other opinions.

Philbert

Last edited:

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks like a good idea. What i did was weld a nut to a bar stud and scre a peace of

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
Hit wrong button.

I welded a nut to bar nut and screwed a peace of brake line to it. I gotto measure mine or my boy cuts anywhere from 14 - 25.

I really like that idea of it being megnetic.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone who cuts firewood has seen or thought of some way to measure pieces into equal lengths. Some guys don't care. Some have limits based on the size of their stove. Guys who sell wood might want it to stack neatly.

There are a number of methods and homemade solutions that can be used, and many products offered for sale - some of these are more convenient than others, and some may work better than others in certain circumstances.

I received a sample of the "Ott Accu-Stick Pro" magnetic measuring device to try. This is a telescoping aluminum tube that is adjustable between 14 and 26-1/2 inches, which attaches to the guide bar with a powerful, rare earth magnet.

View attachment 51514
View attachment 51515

The measuring stick has a black, anodized finish, and etched markings. The tip of the stick has a bright yellow, hi-viz dot for visibility, and the base is 1-1/8 inches in diameter. Overall weight is 3.4 ounces.

A longer version (19 to 36 inches), and models with metric graduations are also shown on the manufacturer's website: http://www.3ott.com/ott-accu-stick.html

Philbert
Man that's cool i always used a scabbard cut to whatever length i wanted i would hold it up to get a visual then cut holding it im my left hand but those are cool and simple.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked for a price, but couldn't find one. ???

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brake line is galvanized metal( i think)

And yes i like the idea of the megnetic stick. Then it could go on any saw.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
f93265ee71e072f93d176f7ccd475510.jpg
88acc11a1ba296f3adee0e41a13fc927.jpg

Pic of my setup. Works good. Only problem is the brakeline is very flexible so if ya bump it ya gotta re check it length.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would you mind if i use your idea and make a megnetic measuring stick.
It's not my idea (but thanks for the compliment)!

I don't know if there are any patents on it, but those would not apply anyway for somebody making their own - only if they tried to sell them.

Please post photos and details of what you make!

Philbert

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if the thin fiberglass rods would work better than the brakeline?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked for a price, but couldn't find one. ???
I don't like to quote prices, because I am not selling them, and the price may change or vary with the vendor.

Ott sells direct from their website and on Ebay. They may also sell through some dealers.

Philbert

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. I clicked the link you posted in your 1st post, but couldn't find the price. I will check ebay. Thanks

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty nifty @Philbert with the length range of the one from 14-26.5...easily changed or adjusted for different lengths right there on the spot. I guess OWB burners would benefit from the longer increment bar.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if the thin fiberglass rods would work better than the brakeline?

As mentioned, there are a number of firewood measuring sticks offered for sale, along with many homemade versions. These often use fiberglass, wooden, or threaded rods, or even springs (or brake lines!) which project out from one side of the saw or the other, and attach in many different ways.

One challenge is making the device simple and convenient to use, while remaining secure, and not getting in the way. Another is making the length of the measuring stick adjustable. Safety, including accidental chain contact, is also a concern.

I wanted to compare the Ott Accu-Stick against a more basic design: the 'Woodcutter's Helper' fiberglass measuring stick. This 16 inch, non-adjustable device also attaches to the guide bar with a rare earth magnet, and is used the same way.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Woodcutter's Helper comes in 6 different versions, including adjustable models that use a threaded steel or nylon rod with an indicator disk that marks the desired length. A tape measure is used to position the indicator disk, and the remaining portion of the threaded rod extends beyond this point. http://www.chainsawaccessories.biz/

The steel rod made me a bit nervous, and I definitely prefer the telescoping design of the Accu-Stick over having extra rod sticking out past the indicator. But the basic model was appealing due to its simplicity. It consists of an orange, 3/16 inch diameter fiberglass rod, with a rare earth magnet base, and a plastic tip at the other end. There is also a very similar looking competitor, with a confusingly similar sounding name: the 'Firewood Buddy' http://firewood-buddy.com/
IMG_6004.jpg

The magnet and chromed steel base on the Woodcutter's Helper is slightly smaller than that on the Accu-Stick, but the device is also lighter in weight (1.6 ounces), and it seems to hold adequately. Easy on; easy off. No calibration needed.

IMG_5998.jpg

If you want to cut wood shorter than 16 inches, simply place a piece of tape on the fiberglass rod, leaving a small 'flag', making it easier to see. A contrasting color tape might help. Or buy a few sticks and cut them each to different lengths (color code them for identification?).

IMG_6003.jpg

If you want to cut wood longer than 16 inches (say 24 inches), place the tape halfway (12 inches in this case), and use this to mark the halfway point, cutting through the wood every other time.

IMG_6006.jpg

Philbert

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. Thanks for the links. [emoji106]

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Comparing these two products side-by-side really seems to cover the range of this approach from deluxe (Accu-Stick) to basic (Woodcutter's Helper) versions.

IMG_5999.jpg

Aside from the adjustment feature, and engraved measurements, I noted that the larger diameter tubing on the Accu-Stick makes it much easier to remove from the bar - these rare earth magnets really hold tight, and several times I was concerned that I might actually snap the thinner, fiberglass rod on the Woodcutter's Helper, using it to tip the magnet to remove the stick from the bar. Might not be a real issue - something that we will find out from use!

A handy person might make their own version, with rare earth magnets and some fiberglass fence posts or driveway markers; this might make sense if they were the type of person to frequently lose these types of things.

The low price of the basic model makes it attractive to some. The deluxe version has a professional quality feel with additional features, and would make a nice gift for a woodcutter who appreciates nice tools, even if they buy it for them self.

Philbert