Firewood Measuring Sticks

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
10:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If one has a wood stove, the stove decides the length. You are safe at 16" log lengths for most stoves. Anything longer, and you cant get the logs into the stove.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Precisely. I've often thought that stoves that will receive logs 16" or less should never have been built and sold. But that's just MHO. There are lots of them out there and that includes the antique stoves that were built to heat the caboose on trains. And, potbelly stoves are everywhere. Some of these will not even accept a 16" log.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
11:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well after lots of use the end marker fell off. Need to find some other kind of adheasive. What are you guys us8ng for adheasive.

Also i got some stronger magnets. What are those cup things from that you put magnets in.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I kind of lost track here. Was yours hand made or a purchased unit?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahhhh. OK
I bought a pre-made unit, red fiberglass rod, and it has been good so far. [emoji106]

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are you guys us8ng for adheasive.

What are those cup things from that you put magnets in.
Thanks for the update!

I just looked at the glue aisle in my local home center and picked something that said it worked with the components I was using.

The steel cups magnify / focus the magnetic force. I bought 'cup magnets' off eBay and Amazon with these already assembled. Lee Valley tools sells the components separately.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't want metal where a chain might meet it.

EDIT: maybe a nylon screw?

JMHO

Philbert

Last edited:

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
GUEST_2287101e-940b-4ae6-9cfe-f2c386f730e3
+
APWAWater-BasedMarking-2.jpg

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it is a long straight log, I'll lay a tape measure on it and mark the wood every whatever inches I want plus a half inch for bar thickness. A fter a few times you get used to the numbers to look for on the tape as adding .25-.5" several times throws off the nice even numbers. Thats if I'm cutting for someone picky. For me I will find or make a reference point on the bar, hold the saw sideways for a second to measure the length, then turn it and make the cut. I also measure with my hands sometimes. one hand is like 8-8.5" middle finger to thumb. That makes 8", 12", 16" and 24" easy enough, and I can over or undershoot as I feel necessary.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it is a long straight log, I'll lay a tape measure on it and mark the wood every whatever inches I want plus a half inch for bar thickness. A fter a few times you get used to the numbers to look for on the tape as adding .25-.5" several times throws off the nice even numbers. Thats if I'm cutting for someone picky. For me I will find or make a reference point on the bar, hold the saw sideways for a second to measure the length, then turn it and make the cut. I also measure with my hands sometimes. one hand is like 8-8.5" middle finger to thumb. That makes 8", 12", 16" and 24" easy enough, and I can over or undershoot as I feel necessary.

I know you own a top handled saw Remington.

So......if you want 18" firewood, cut an 18" stick. Hold that stick in your left hand......saw in the right.

Mark....mark....mark....mark.....etc....etc...etc....

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everybody has to find something that works for them.

Philbert

I try not to over complicate, seeing as I am already carrying a chainsaw with a bar of fixed length, just use either the whole bar if the right length or to a mark on the bar if longer. Just lay it on the log flat and pick up the back end leaving the tip on the log and swing it around to cut at the spot at the end of the bar tip. No gizmo's in the way and no sticks to carry, is not as fast as eyeballing though, which tends to win the day some times.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I try not to over complicate, seeing as I am already carrying a chainsaw with a bar of fixed length, just use either the whole bar if the right length or to a mark on the bar if longer. Just lay it on the log flat and pick up the back end leaving the tip on the log and swing it around to cut at the spot at the end of the bar tip. No gizmo's in the way and no sticks to carry, is not as fast as eyeballing though, which tends to win the day some times.
Exactly

I know you own a top handled saw Remington.

So......if you want 18" firewood, cut an 18" stick. Hold that stick in your left hand......saw in the right.

Mark....mark....mark....mark.....etc....etc...etc....
Sounds efficient unless you don't have a pre measured stick at the cutting site.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly

Sounds efficient unless you don't have a pre measured stick at the cutting site.

I also measure with my hands sometimes. one hand is like 8-8.5" middle finger to thumb. That makes 8", 12", 16" and 24" easy enough, and I can over or undershoot as I feel necessary.

Derp.....derp....