Dolmar/Makita 6400 barely oiling

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
8:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The end of the oiler screws off and it all comes apart. Keep track of the parts as there is a little spring ect. I lengthened the stroke by grinding the ramp steeper while I was in there to increase output a tad, but I wouldn’t bother if it is staying a 64cc. BEC6E072-0966-4FFE-8482-C5DB1A26253E.jpeg

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
8:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you take the clutch drum off keep track of the washers and the order they go in. There are several. It’s annoying having to get/make a clutch tool but once you have it... it makes removing it easy with a impact.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You did try thinning out the bar oil with a few ounces of mixed fuel, right? And, then, fill the tank to capacity with thinned-out bar oil. Sometimes goop gets clogged in there and blocks the oiling. I've fixed half a dozen chain saws this way that refused to oil the bar. It's usually always worth a try.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wilhelm does this look worn?
Hard to tell with the clutch springs unhooked.
The wings are showing wear, but I am not certain if that is sufficient to cause oiling issues.

The easiest way to remove the clutch is to kick the saw into reverse and hit the chain brake at WOT. :p

On a serious note, those clutches tend to be really snug, You might want to look into making or purchasing the aforementioned clutch tool. ;)

"tapping" the clutch off didn't work for me on my PS-7300, I'll have to look into making this tool myself to replace the clutch on my PS-7310.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I obtained a 6400 that would not oil enough and found that the small spacer or washer next to the clutch hub was missing, and the large washer under the E clip was wrong. So, the clutch drum was free to move laterally, and would not engage with the oiler drive. It wore the ends of the drive off and stopped the show.
I'm going to check the pump too after reading this thread.
Thanks!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 6401 might be the best overall saw that I own. I'm not sure what the difference is between OP's 6400 and my 6401 that a good friend and I upgraded with a big bore kit, but it cannot be much different:
Big Elm1.jpgHere I have a 32" bar on board. It had no trouble pulling it through big red elm, bucking or noodling. It's a heckuva saw.

Last edited: