Makita DCS500 Misfire

Jonno

New OPE Member
Local time
5:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi and greetings from Oz, I have a Makita DCS500 (same as Dolmar PS510 ?) the saw will idle fine but from about 1/3 throttle upwards it has a high speed miss and loss of power, it won't rev out.
I believe it to be ignition orientated as it is too clipped and precise to be a fuel issue.
I replaced the plug in the vain hope I'd get out of it painlessly but to no avail.
Removed and cleaned carb also, but my gut told me I was dreaming but tried anyway.
I noticed a reply on this forum to a post in Oct '22 that mentioned this issue and replacing the coil, but there isn't a lot on the internet that I could find otherwise.
The OEM coil is $230-$300 in Australia 🤦‍♀️ however I see a few stores (Inc Amazon) carry the Chinesium (Haishine) one for around $40.
I'm not one to fire the parts canon or to buy junk, but I'm looking at replacing the coil.
Any input would be appreciated on this issue.20231107_073922.jpg

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
2:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just ran into this same misfire issue with a rather new Stihl 194T brought in by a tree service company. Like you, I replaced the spark plug to no avail. It is likely a bad ignition coil (I checked the gap with the flywheel and that's OK), but I am not sure either. It could be a fuel delivery issue (carb problem, etc.) instead. What says the OPE forum?

Fun2Cut

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you verify with a tachometer that your ‘misfire’ is ignition related? Or do you have an inline spark tester? That would give you a visual on your coil output.

I’d echo check the coil to flywheel gap. Is your flywheel compromised in any way- lost a magnet? shorn key? etc…

I don’t know these saws like some other fellows around here. Nor am I the smartest cookie (or cookie cutter 😀). But a few things I’d check myself I think before I’d throw a new coil at it.

Jonno

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you verify with a tachometer that your ‘misfire’ is ignition related? Or do you have an inline spark tester? That would give you a visual on your coil output.

I’d echo check the coil to flywheel gap. Is your flywheel compromised in any way- lost a magnet? shorn key? etc…

I don’t know these saws like some other fellows around here. Nor am I the smartest cookie (or cookie cutter 😀). But a few things I’d check myself I think before I’d throw a new coil at it.

Ignition related is my take on it, like I said it's a sharp cutout like a rev limiter at work, no a slow surge like fuel starvation, have even sprayed a little aerosol around and nothing changes.
I have a digital tacho but my ear can provide the feedback needed on rpm.
The inline spark tester is a good idea but I don't possess one of those but imagine I could rig something up to get a visual maybe, I'll check.
Flywheel is fine, cleaned and inspected and gap is ok,
Saw was working one session and started misfiring the next, I'm 99.9% sure I need a coil but was just seeing if anyone has had experience with the issue, if not it will be good when I sort the problem and post the solution as it may help others down the track.
High summer here, so saw not needed much but I will sort it out soon.
Thanks for you input

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you upload a video? Sounds like you’ve diagnosed it already, but would be keen to hear it out of interest. What state you in in Aus?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Stihl 194T with the same misfire symptoms as Jonno's saw is now running fine with a new coil. The dealer I talked to said these saws have a history of coil failure, so I ordered a new one and installed it. Engine started right up and the misfiring was gone at all speeds. Fixed.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Run the saw at really dark place and see if the wire is arcing? I have a husky 372 that did that and found out coil wire is arcing.

Jonno

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Stihl 194T with the same misfire symptoms as Jonno's saw is now running fine with a new coil. The dealer I talked to said these saws have a history of coil failure, so I ordered a new one and installed it. Engine started right up and the misfiring was gone at all speeds. Fixed.
Thanks for the advice

Jonno

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry for slow reply I've been away, here is a video of the chainsaw misfire, I am aware that the saw has an electronic rev limiter but this saw is missing in the mid range as well.
Great idea, shall try that
I've been away but got a chance to run the saw last night in the dark, no visible spark leakage so I will order a Chinesium coil!