High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

90ish cc Saw recommendations (or other big saw)

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
who is dis "mastermind" guy e'ry body be talkin 'bout all da time ? :zpong:

there used to be a guy that posted lots of "build threads" and such a loooong time ago....now....he's some innernet bigshot I hear ?
shows up for a "cameo" once in a while...ya know....big blingin and stuff... :)

@Mastermind

I remember that guy. I told him porting saws was just a fad....

StihlKicking

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess I should have asked, "Has anyone had any real problems with the 661?" Many people have recommended the 390XP in person. I can get one for the same (practically) price as the contract 661. I know it seems like Ford vs Chevy, but it is more like 7.3 Powerstroke vs. 6.4 PS. You couldn't pay me enough to take another 6.4L! I appreciate all the help.

I bought a 661 back in the summer and have loved it so far. It's the only M-Tronic saw that I personally own. It starts easy and will pull a 36" bar exceptionally well for a bone stock saw. I've had no problems oiling or bogging in the cut. The saw seems to have a bit more torque and speed than my 660 and it's a lot more comfortable to operate than the 660 or any 395 I have ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
11:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I guess I should have asked, "Has anyone had any real problems with the 661?" Many people have recommended the 390XP in person. I can get one for the same (practically) price as the contract 661. I know it seems like Ford vs Chevy, but it is more like 7.3 Powerstroke vs. 6.4 PS. You couldn't pay me enough to take another 6.4L! I appreciate all the help.
The 661 is a great saw I got one of Randy @Mastermind in the second series has had more bananas installed only runs a 36" bar .I have just swapped the module to the richer model available never looked back after that as far as Iam concerned the saw is freaking awesome

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a very clean 395 for sale for $850 shipped PHO.
I appreciate it, but it is for work. I can buy used, it just isn't worth the hassle though. I have to go through one of my vendors and him buy it, then add a 3% credit card fee plus whatever we decide is fair markup.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I also believe the ms461 may be the ticket for you... please let us know what you think about the ms461 after you run it.... they have a lot of torque!!!

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
70cc saws are 28" bar territory to me. You can hang a longer one on it for temporary use but you had better chain it right.

Just took this one down with the 461 yesterday. Knocking the stump down with a 28 was all it wanted. View attachment 39167

^^^this
And that 461 is ported, right?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anything longer than 24" on a 70cc saw feels terrible to me. I like a big ph for anything over 28", balance is better and more comfortable to run all day. Weight of the saw means very little to a logger buy balance and feel is everything.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yup Randy ported it. It runs awesome, but stumping with big bars is hard on saws.
Doesn't matter how well a 70cc saw runs a long bar,there not made for it and in a logging situation it won't last.

The bigger saw is designed to have a long bar on it,has nothing to do with power it's mounts and bearing and a bigger clutch.
And you can set it down without the tip hitting the ground, nothing more tiring than a super nose heavy saw.

I'm with you deets,70cc is 28" max

Stock 460 won't like a 28" much in oak and hickory

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm in Midwest hardwoods too, and I agree with you guys.

My stock (well I opened the muffler a little) 460 runs really great with a 20" bar. It pulls a 24" pretty good too. For occasional use or for softwood I'd put a 32" on it, but if I needed a 28" on the regs, I'd be using a 90cc saw.

When I first got my 460 I read all these posts about running an 8 pin sprocket on it for 24" bars and under. I bet a ported one would do it, or stock in softwood, but after trying it I switched back to the 7 pin. I thought that the 8 pin just left the saw with too little torque. My new MMWS 660, though, with a 20" bar and an 8 pin rim really makes quick work of a pile of logs.

CR500

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how well a 70cc saw runs a long bar,there not made for it and in a logging situation it won't last.

The bigger saw is designed to have a long bar on it,has nothing to do with power it's mounts and bearing and a bigger clutch.
And you can set it down without the tip hitting the ground, nothing more tiring than a super nose heavy saw.

Also will agree....

The 661 has been wearing a 28 for a good bit.

Probably will run a 20-24on the 7900

24 on the 064

Sent from my non internal combustion device.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep a 25" on mine usually.... I should have said I am not a logger, but I kept running into big pieces like this so I needed a saw that would pull the 25" easy.... it's all stock so far, but it pulls the 25" Very good to me.... I know you guys that port saws are used to more power, but it works good for me.... this is red oak in pic I just cut up today...I guess just depends on how much a guy needs a bar over 25"....IMG_1228.JPGIMG_1226.JPG

Last edited:

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I have been working the deer check station all day with no service. My co worker brought the 461 for me to try. It has a 25" on it and ran pretty good. A little better than my 440 pulls one. Definitely nice saw. The only big bar I have is the 32". We carried a log to the check station to cut and bust while waiting on the kids to bring in the meat! It was a 29" red oak that the top was dead when we cut it. It didn't like the 32" in that kind of wood! It wanted to bog and didn't seem to have the torque to power out of it. Chain was new RS Stihl out of the box. Maybe a full skip would have worked better. So far I have tried the 395xp and a 461. One of the loggers that just moved in yesterday said I could run his stock 390xp. He just purchased two and a 395. I left plenty of log to try it out. What is the saying, "No replacement for displacement!"
He swore by Stihl until he had two 661s bust/crack on the bottom. Granted the cutters probably mistreat them since they aren't paying for them. He really liked the 661 but got a discount buying three Huskies at once at a logging show in OH. He said he always plans on buying 3-4 big saws a year since $h17 happens! Hope to run the 390 Monday morning. I like to test drive before I buy. Dealers should have wood to cut and demo models of the saws they have. They look at you crazy if you ask them if you can demo one!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I have been working the deer check station all day with no service. My co worker brought the 461 for me to try. It has a 25" on it and ran pretty good. A little better than my 440 pulls one. Definitely nice saw. The only big bar I have is the 32". We carried a log to the check station to cut and bust while waiting on the kids to bring in the meat! It was a 29" red oak that the top was dead when we cut it. It didn't like the 32" in that kind of wood! It wanted to bog and didn't seem to have the torque to power out of it. Chain was new RS Stihl out of the box. Maybe a full skip would have worked better. So far I have tried the 395xp and a 461. One of the loggers that just moved in yesterday said I could run his stock 390xp. He just purchased two and a 395. I left plenty of log to try it out. What is the saying, "No replacement for displacement!"
He swore by Stihl until he had two 661s bust/crack on the bottom. Granted the cutters probably mistreat them since they aren't paying for them. He really liked the 661 but got a discount buying three Huskies at once at a logging show in OH. He said he always plans on buying 3-4 big saws a year since $h17 happens! Hope to run the 390 Monday morning. I like to test drive before I buy. Dealers should have wood to cut and demo models of the saws they have. They look at you crazy if you ask them if you can demo one!
Yes no doubt about it, if you are going to have a 32" bar on all the time you will no doubt need a BIG saw!!!!!