High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

90ish cc Saw recommendations (or other big saw)

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I posted over at AS, but this forum seems MUCH better! I have also asked Mastermind his opinion via email, but I wanted to lay it out there again.

We are looking for a large saw that will pull a 32" bar pretty good for work. I work on a wildlife management area in TN where we need a big saw at least once a month. Currently we use my personal 440 to cut the big stuff and quite frankly I AM TIRED OF IT! Our other saws are a 290 and 310. They were here when I got here, so I had no control over that.

I would like to purchase either a Stihl 661, Huskie 390, or a Jonsered 2188. The Stihl is on state contract at a decent price, but I have ways to purchase the others if need be. I will mostly be running a 24/25" bar and the occasional 32" or 36" when I run into the nasty wolf trees that need to be taken down. These saws will stay pretty stock so I don't need the "390 because they run better ported" comments. We are a state agency, and they don't like spending money on hot rodding anything (I tried to get my truck chipped!).

I am located in east TN and have a decent dealer network within an hour of me. Most of the Stihl "dealers" are co-ops, or hardware stores that aren't what I call a full service dealer. A few carry both Stihl and Huskie, and one carries all three!

Based on price alone, the 661 is the winner, but I am a little scared of the mtronic stuff. I have read horror stories about them, but they are mostly from a year or so ago. My local dealer has a couple in need of repair now that he is waiting on parts for.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think I'd want to swing a 32" in hardwood on a regular basis with any of those saws. My ported 2186(2188/390 with slightly smaller piston) doesn't much like a 404/32".

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would mainly have a 24/25" live on it. Just need the ability to do it. My 440 doesn't like anything bigger than a 25" so I know that isn't the class of saw I am needing.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I posted over at AS, but this forum seems MUCH better! I have also asked Mastermind his opinion via email, but I wanted to lay it out there again.

We are looking for a large saw that will pull a 32" bar pretty good for work. I work on a wildlife management area in TN where we need a big saw at least once a month. Currently we use my personal 440 to cut the big stuff and quite frankly I AM TIRED OF IT! Our other saws are a 290 and 310. They were here when I got here, so I had no control over that.

I would like to purchase either a Stihl 661, Huskie 390, or a Jonsered 2188. The Stihl is on state contract at a decent price, but I have ways to purchase the others if need be. I will mostly be running a 24/25" bar and the occasional 32" or 36" when I run into the nasty wolf trees that need to be taken down. These saws will stay pretty stock so I don't need the "390 because they run better ported" comments. We are a state agency, and they don't like spending money on hot rodding anything (I tried to get my truck chipped!).

I am located in east TN and have a decent dealer network within an hour of me. Most of the Stihl "dealers" are co-ops, or hardware stores that aren't what I call a full service dealer. A few carry both Stihl and Huskie, and one carries all three!

Based on price alone, the 661 is the winner, but I am a little scared of the mtronic stuff. I have read horror stories about them, but they are mostly from a year or so ago. My local dealer has a couple in need of repair now that he is waiting on parts for.
Where in Tennessee do you live?

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh ok. I live about 25 minutes north of chattanooga

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I should have asked, "Has anyone had any real problems with the 661?" Many people have recommended the 390XP in person. I can get one for the same (practically) price as the contract 661. I know it seems like Ford vs Chevy, but it is more like 7.3 Powerstroke vs. 6.4 PS. You couldn't pay me enough to take another 6.4L! I appreciate all the help.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I should have asked, "Has anyone had any real problems with the 661?" Many people have recommended the 390XP in person. I can get one for the same (practically) price as the contract 661. I know it seems like Ford vs Chevy, but it is more like 7.3 Powerstroke vs. 6.4 PS. You couldn't pay me enough to take another 6.4L! I appreciate all the help.

And that's why I drive a Cummins. :D

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should have purchased the 6 liter Powerstroke, that would make you love your 6.4L. Mine went to the dealer 13 times for oil leaks then turbo went. Dropped it off at GMC dealer and drove a 6.6LBZ home.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a 395 on the active log job up here. It about broke my back! I guess that is why it was still in the truck and they cutters were running 440s, 372s, and a 390 for the big stuff!

You said long bar, 395 will pull, and more importantly oil, a long bar better than any of the other options in stock configuration. That to me is one of the 390s biggest let downs, not enough oiler.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a 395 on the active log job up here. It about broke my back! I guess that is why it was still in the truck and they cutters were running 440s, 372s, and a 390 for the big stuff!

That's what I was gonna say. I don't have any run time on the big Huskys, other than a little bit on a 3120. My understanding, though is that a 395 is a great saw for a 36"+ bar. I think for a saw normally wearing a 25", a 661 or 390 would be a better choice, especially since we're talking about stock saws.

The m-tronic stuff has the potential to be problematic, but it also has the potential to save a $1000 saw from death at the hands of a careless operator. I don't own one, but the notion of a saw that's always in tune is appealing.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should have purchased the 6 liter Powerstroke, that would make you love your 6.4L. Mine went to the dealer 13 times for oil leaks then turbo went. Dropped it off at GMC dealer and drove a 6.6LBZ home.

The difference is the 6.0 can be a good engine, after you spend ~$8k on it, the 6.4 is just a piece of chit, valve guides wore slap out at 150,000 and they are cast as part of the head. Even if you wanted to go through all the time and aggravation of machining the heads for bronze guides it normally isn't worth it be the heads are usually cracked.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
8:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'd say it's all about your preference on saw tuning. If you prefer to have control of your tuning capability then go with the 390 or 395. If you prefer to not deal with it then go 661. All the bugs seem to have been worked out and the saw is very impressive stock.