Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why you single me out? Was I chatting with myself? I see how this works now.
emoji848.png

Way I saw it was that there's some husky guys talking about their new model. You jump in and make a dig on the 562. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about talking smack about saws and each other, but these guys were doing good work here. Part numbers and chit.

And then, a whole page of nonsense about you guys racing and who won and who lost. Not contributing to Bob's great thread which is not only pertinent to potential buyers, but also people trying to find the big dogs and figure out which of three clutch covers they need. Okay, husky did leave some room for us to give them chit on that one. I'll give you that. I know you're not the only one, but I do feel like I've read this same conversation in about a half dozen threads in the last couple weeks.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. Y'all are right. I'll leave you guys be.

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
4:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is a Husqvarna chain, not made by Oregon.
it will probleby be a battle to get more of them C85 chains, we have them but in limited volume, heard they won't come in big volume until january 2019, my dealer try to get a couple 20" loops for me.
When you bought your 572 Guillaume, did your dealer have lots of c85?

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it will probleby be a battle to get more of them C85 chains, we have them but in limited volume, heard they won't come in big volume until january 2019, my dealer try to get a couple 20" loops for me.
When you bought your 572 Guillaume, did your dealer have lots of c85?

No, only a few loops for the new Husky's, otherwise he sell only Oregon chains.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the business side of the cahin debate, the pricing will be as important as the performance of the chain itself. I'm told that the C85 will be 10% more than Husky's H48 oregon made chain. So, I guess we are looking at about $2 a loop more. Not that bad as I thought it might be more like $5-$8.

But guys will only pay more if it does more. So, the C85 will need to better the Oregon EXL in some way in order to be a success in the market. I got a loop that I gave to a local logger, and what he says will carry some weight. Hope to have some feedback by the end of the week on that.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
9:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the business side of the cahin debate, the pricing will be as important as the performance of the chain itself. I'm told that the C85 will be 10% more than Husky's H48 oregon made chain. So, I guess we are looking at about $2 a loop more. Not that bad as I thought it might be more like $5-$8.

But guys will only pay more if it does more. So, the C85 will need to better the Oregon EXL in some way in order to be a success in the market. I got a loop that I gave to a local logger, and what he says will carry some weight. Hope to have some feedback by the end of the week on that.

I think it's great having well made chain with a good grind out of the box. That being said, is their any effort from either Oregon or Husqvarna on sharpening to achieve same results?

Benjo

Some Guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The only test I've seen is this one, but their results were striking. The same guys at skogsforum.se mentioned their logger who tested the 572 and 462 for them preferred the 462 but wanted the C85 chain.

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had a friendly competition with my coworker this morning, his 572 ran a Oregon made H42 chain, new and freshly sharpened, and mine ran the new and freshly sharpened C85. We swapped the saws after a few cuts, and we both agreed, the c85 was obviously the fastest. More surprising, it was also the smoothest.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had a friendly competition with my coworker this morning, his 572 ran a Oregon made H42 chain, new and freshly sharpened, and mine ran the new and freshly sharpened C85. We swapped the saws after a few cuts, and we both agreed, the c85 was obviously the fastest. More surprising, it was also the smoothest.
that make sense Guillaume, your conclussion is the same as I've read in Sweeden.

We've not got the EXL chain yet, not long since it came in Sweeden either, but its probleby where the C85 will get a competetion, that said, Oregon doesnt have a good reputation anymore, not where I live, to many rock hard TXL chains ruined a bit for them.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Is the standard box of husky chain EXL these days? Am I correct that back in the day the husky boxed chain was a clone Oregons LGX?

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the standard box of husky chain EXL these days? Am I correct that back in the day the husky boxed chain was a clone Oregons LGX?
Nope, Husky make two chains themselfs nowadays, SP33 (325 NK) and C85 (3/8 chisel), both comes from their new chain factory.

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that make sense Guillaume, your conclussion is the same as I've read in Sweeden.

We've not got the EXL chain yet, not long since it came in Sweeden either, but its probleby where the C85 will get a competetion, that said, Oregon doesnt have a good reputation anymore, not where I live, to many rock hard TXL chains ruined a bit for them.
Actually, we had more issues with the last Stihl RSC chain, my coworkers and I will choose Oregon chain over it.

The c85 could be a game changer for sure, I really hope it will be available in bigger volume.

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually, we had more issues with the last Stihl RSC chain, my coworkers and I will choose Oregon chain over it.

The c85 could be a game changer for sure, I really hope it will be available in bigger volume.
What Kind of problems you had with the stihl chain?

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only test I've seen is this one, but their results were striking. The same guys at skogsforum.se mentioned their logger who tested the 572 and 462 for them preferred the 462 but wanted the C85 chain.

Maybe the 1.5lb difference of the 462CM vs the 572XP made him prefer it? The 462 has been said to do really well with a 28” bar, while a 32” will show off the ability of the 572. Otherwise they are VERY similar. Depending on the size of the wood, a 462 may be well suited in Swedish hands. Also, as Bob knows, people tend to stay in their camps- maybe there was some brand bias we don’t know about from their logger?

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

There was a great thread about 8 months ago on EXL vs LGX, and in it you said that the EXL was well received and about $1 more per loop than the LGX.
http://opeforum.com/threads/oregon-exl-chain.11525/

Dealer cost is about a $1 more per loop, so pretty much the same pricing as LGX.

At this point I think everyone has gotten used to already paying the extra dollar extra. If the C85 is better still, I would predict nobody will be running away from another dollar increase per chain.