572 updates

Benjo

Some Guy
Local time
7:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe the 1.5lb difference of the 462CM vs the 572XP made him prefer it? The 462 has been said to do really well with a 28” bar, while a 32” will show off the ability of the 572. Otherwise they are VERY similar. Depending on the size of the wood, a 462 may be well suited in Swedish hands. Also, as Bob knows, people tend to stay in their camps- maybe there was some brand bias we don’t know about from their logger?

I believe they said that their logger/tester, Lars-Erik, and his crew use the 560 as their main saws currently and have a 2095 for big felling (been a while since I watched these).

Here's their 572 video

And the 462 video. Their logger's preference ("if it wasn't for the C85 chain he'd pick the 462 for the weight...") is at about 8:00.

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
1:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What Kind of problems you had with the stihl chain?

They just don't cut fast enough... It feels like they're more "grinding" than cutting, it's pretty annoying. Even the Stihl guys use Oregon around here, now.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
2:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll keep the standard cover for now, captive bar nuts are a good feature.

Here's a pic of my dealer's ad for the 572. He may be able to get a cover with the outer dogs also.

If it comes as pictured, this one has captive bar nuts and outer dogs...

13033165_0_b.jpg

Last edited:

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a pic of my dealer's ad for the 572. He may be able to get a cover with the outer dogs also.

If it comes as pictured, this one has captive bar nuts and outer dogs...

View attachment 139084
As Bob said, the cover has to be drilled to fix the outer spike. My issue is to get the outer spike...

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As Bob said, the cover has to be drilled to fix the outer spike. My issue is to get the outer spike...

I'll be in his store tomorrow. I'll look at the saws first hand, as he keeps quite a few in stock. I'll also inquire about the outer spike to see if he can acquire one.

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll be in his store tomorrow. I'll look at the saws first hand, as he keeps quite a few in stock. I'll also inquire about the outer spike to see if he can acquire one.

Thank you. I saw a thread on arbtalk, and it's the same as here, they can't get the outer spike dog...

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 462 has been said to do really well with a 28” bar, while a 32” will show off the ability of the 572.
Stephen's testing showed the stock 462 stronger than the stock 572, I think with a 32" bar.

Last edited:

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you. I saw a thread on arbtalk, and it's the same as here, they can't get the outer spike dog...

I just called my Husky dealer and says he was able to order one. I'll wait and see if we lost any details in translation, but he claims he was able to get it.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stephen's testing showed the stock 462 stronger than the stock 572, I think with a 32" bar.

I’m going by what Jack showed in his video.

He’s a professional faller, not a hobbyist, cookie cutting weekend warrior, salesman, keyboard armchair or firewood hack. He also ports saws, and avoids forums. He owns and runs Stihl, Husky and Dolmar saws without bias, even has videos comparing and contrasting strengths and weaknesses without becoming a fan boy to any brand. I trust his opinion and what I can see more than what I read on here. And he says the 462 is lighter and better suited to a 28” bar, but if you’re using a 32” bar the 572xp has more power to pull it. I’ve seen videos of 572 vs 462 cutting neck and neck in smaller wood (~10”).

Even in larger wood (~24”) they are neck and neck.

I don’t want to start an argument over which saw is better. This thread is about the 572xp. I just wanted to share my source for my opinion.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
6:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m going by what Jack showed in his video.

He’s a professional faller, not a hobbyist, cookie cutting weekend warrior, salesman, keyboard armchair or firewood hack. He also ports saws, and avoids forums. He owns and runs Stihl, Husky and Dolmar saws without bias, even has videos comparing and contrasting strengths and weaknesses without becoming a fan boy to any brand. I trust his opinion and what I can see more than what I read on here. And he says the 462 is lighter and better suited to a 28” bar, but if you’re using a 32” bar the 572xp has more power to pull it. I’ve seen videos of 572 vs 462 cutting neck and neck in smaller wood (~10”).

Even in larger wood (~24”) they are neck and neck.

I don’t want to start an argument over which saw is better. This thread is about the 572xp. I just wanted to share my source for my opinion.

He also said the Stihl wasn't very ecofriendly because you have to wash the flippy caps out with mix before opening them.

I guess a pocket brush technology hasn't made it all the way out west yet.