YouTube homestead millionaires

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
2:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over the years of watching various channels, it seems to me that the 1 million subscriber mark is where the youtube gig truly becomes self sustaining meaning the channel owner doesn't need any other income to support a very comfortable lifestyle. If you can live cheaper, a couple hundred thousand will get you by.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over the years of watching various channels, it seems to me that the 1 million subscriber mark is where the youtube gig truly becomes self sustaining meaning the channel owner doesn't need any other income to support a very comfortable lifestyle. If you can live cheaper, a couple hundred thousand will get you by.

I guess @davidwyby has a ways to go then...

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You probably wouldn’t think that if you saw how much debt they were carrying
Or if folks had a damn clue of fixed costs, variable costs, interest rates, ARM , ROI, debt to asset ratio, debt to income ratio, income to expense ratio, net worth, ......yeah list goes on. Some see farm equipment as they drive around in their SUV and are clueless to the reality of farming.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some farmers make more money farming the government than farming the actual ground..... It's crazy how much money farmers can get just by using certain kinds of equipment.
I got in trouble over on "another site" for asking folks to explain to me their knowledge of "government" payouts to farmers. They got upset when I called them on the carpet and they could not explain.

Reactions: Lnk

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are also a lot of people living in ridiculous homes and pushing nice cars around....I'm guessing the banks own most of that too.
The folks whining about farmers are the modern "yuppies" driving around in new SUV's The only new 4 wheel drive truck my father bought was in June 1978. It was a stripped down F-150 6 cyl 4 speed with an AM radio. The only new tractor Grandpa or Dad ever bought was in April 1947 and that was a Ford 2N.

Both of which are still in the shed.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to say I do watch a bit of the "Diesel Creek stuff.

I do not subscribe to any of the BS on YT though

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t understand how they get these numbers, but here is an interesting site if you want and idea of what a YT channel pulls in.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
12:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got in trouble over on "another site" for asking folks to explain to me their knowledge of "government" payouts to farmers. They got upset when I called them on the carpet and they could not explain.
It's not worth getting in a fight over. I bought some land that had an existing CRP contract. That gave me an in on what could and couldn't be signed up to receive paymentsfrom the government. I had some grass land that used to be tilled. Every year they would want me to sign up the acreage for payments since It was "cropland".

The USDA/FSA also has a list of the local farmers and what they each get payed from the government each year.

Last edited:

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He just needs to "steal" a few more trees with his truck & trailer & post his evidence on utube... then he can quit his day job.

Well stealing logs did not work out well for the Axe Men Jimmy..........

He probably should have not been collecting disability payments while on TV either.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not worth getting in a fight over. I bought some land that had an existing CRP contract. That gave me an in on what could and couldn't be signed up to receive paymentsfrom the government. I had some grass land that used to be tilled. Every year they would want me to sign up the acreage for payments since It was "cropland".

The USDA/FSA also has a list of the local farmers and what they each get payed from the government each year.
The CRP program was probably one of the best farm programs ever created by the government. Yes it had issues but dammit it worked. Prior to the 1985 Farm Bill (which created the CRP program) there were millions of acres of land being farmed that should never have been farmed. Do you remember what Earl Butz said?..........."tear out the fences, farm the ditches, we are going to feed the world" He was no friend of agriculture and family farmers. The CRP program took millions of low quality land out of production and returned it to nature. Doing so created wildlife habitat, lowered erosion, and slowed some pollution. Sadly when commodity prices increased in the early to mid 2000's and CRP contracts expired too much of that land was put back into production. I have farmed a piece since about 1988 that should have been put in the CRP but I do not own it. It has been in hay ground almost every year. I had to plant it to corn in 2023 and lost my arse. It is now in wheat. Those who criticize the CRP program have probably never ran a USLE on a piece of land. They need to compare cropping patterns to CRP using the USLE and see the difference.

Reactions: Lnk

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t understand how they get these numbers, but here is an interesting site if you want and idea of what a YT channel pulls in.
I watch a bit of the Diesel Creek crap but I get bored easily. The fiasco with the two Farmalls was sheer ignorance.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same with sprint car racing
A former Industrial Tech student of mine runs a sprint car. He is a very intelligent man and paid attention in drafting class. He went on to earn his engineering degree and started with John Deere. He has worked his way up and is doing great. If you are into sprint car racing you know Knoxville Iowa is the mecca of dirt track sprint car racing. It is just shy of 3 hrs west of here. He has been running Knoxville this year and I am sure he will try to qualify for the Nationals. I hope he makes the big show but just running there is a helluva experience.

1719699803745.png

John Wargo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A former Industrial Tech student of mine runs a sprint car. He is a very intelligent man and paid attention in drafting class. He went on to earn his engineering degree and started with John Deere. He has worked his way up and is doing great. If you are into sprint car racing you know Knoxville Iowa is the mecca of dirt track sprint car racing. It is just shy of 3 hrs west of here. He has been running Knoxville this year and I am sure he will try to qualify for the Nationals. I hope he makes the big show but just running there is a helluva experience.

View attachment 424386
I definitely know about Knoxville. Too far for me to attend. Best of luck to your student.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I definitely know about Knoxville. Too far for me to attend. Best of luck to your student.
Have you been to Eldora? I have not......too far for me. In the 1960s Oskaloosa Iowa used to run on Wednesday nights. I know Dad hated that haul as he had to be to work the next morning by 6 and Osky was a solid 2 and a half hours each way.