jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The high tunnel craze is here also. About 4 years ago my brother put one up. I am sure there was some assistance. Last year my neighbor on & acres put one up. She even quit her job to tend to it. I started looking into one but gave up.

I also called the NRCS inquiring about a medium sized soil conservation project. When I told them I estimated the cost at $150,000. They said we’re not interested. They are no longer concerned with soil conservation and water pollution but by God some modern yuppie buys up a 20 acre tract of land NRCS will fence it for their horses and slap up a high tunnel to grow taters in.
The local chapter of the NRCS has been really good to us here. I applied to build a manure storage structure in 2018 and it was almost 90% funded and I was out less than $20k for a roofed 60x160x18 open walled building with 4’ high concrete walls. It’s been an amazing thing to keep all the manure the farm generates in it. No more sloppy mess piling in the field and having run off like crazy. I was a “young farmer” at the time so the funding rate was quite a bit higher than it’d be now.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in the days of the Cargill open type hog units a neighbor wanted to build a manure containment structure for his. They helped and I doubt he put more than two turns of hogs through the unit.

Reactions: Lnk