High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Your Dad's chainsaw/saw's of your childhood

Andydodgegeek

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I was born in 1973. When I was growing up my Dad ran a small tree service and sold firewood in our small town. I remember him using his Husky L77 as his main saw and for bigger trees he had a Stihl 075 with a 33" bar. I can remember when he got the 075, it was taller than me. I was his little helper, drag brush, stack wood, run the splitter handle. I thought it was great when he let me run the little Husky 35. I recall going with him to a local Co-op that sold Husqvarna and McCulloch. We were there for some kind of parts that I don't remember but I do remember there being a Mini-Mac there that I wanted real badly. It seemed just my size. I can also remember my Dads exact words, "You don't want that, it's a piece of S###". I kept thinking I wanted to save up the money and buy it, I think it was like $79 or $89. I never did get one and now I never want one. I do remember when he got a new 028 Stihl. I really liked using that saw, it was a big step up from the Husky 35. My Dad ran his tree service up until I was in my early teens and then without ever making a claim his insurance was jacked up 3x in price. It forced him out of business. I am amazed how cheap we worked back then compared to now. I seem to remember taking down a Massive Cottonwood, like 10' across on the stump, in a guys yard hanging over multiple sheds that had to be roped down piece by piece for about $800. I think it took us about 3 days. We hauled everything away. We didn't have equipment, just saws and a Pickup and an old International with a non dumping box on it. I think the tree service my Brother in law works for now would charge over $3000-4000 for that kind of job now days. Anyways, A few years ago my Dad gave me his old 77 Husky. He had stopped using it and it was in ruff shape. I cleaned and repainted it as best as I could. I have since run it in several antique chainsaw races and have won numerous times. Cool old saw, I enjoy running it but the antivibe's are, well, nonexistent. No wonder my Dad has little feelings in his hands now days. That's a little about me and my childhood. Hope you enjoyed and share some of your own stories here.

ft. churchill

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0113.JPG

Here's my Dad's old timber felling saw. Him and my uncle both bought new ones when they first came out about "72 or "73. They cut timber in Colorado with 'em. All I knew is that the saw was long gone, then I found out that my uncle had it, and his son had burnt it up. I traded a nice white top 61 for the burnt out SXL 925 and rebuilt it.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
5:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna 345 is my first experience around a saw. Dad bought it just before he had the outdoor wood burner delivered. 8-10 years ago.

Just lots of loading/splitting never go a chance to use the saw, as he only had the one.

Now my first saw was a sxlao, got it after I built my outdoor wood stove. 3 years ago lol.

Not quite as nostalgic as your stories but that is all I gots.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I can remember is some big old blue Homelite and big old yellow Mac, neither one had any plastic on, that was for sure. My brother and I never got to run them, we were there just to load and then come home and throw in the basement. Man those things were heavy and Load I thought back then

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First saw I remember was a Homelite Super Wiz. It's still here and would probably run. Gear drive,big,heavy,oil covered and slow.
Then there was a trio of Remington's. Mighty mite,70cc SL-something and an 82cc SL-55. I cut a whole lot with the 70cc,wore the crome off the jug. The SL-55 was a horse would cut as good or better than my brothers ProMac 850.....for one tank. Then it would boil.the gas.Still have it also and an nos jug to restore it with if we ever find a piston.

d.l.d

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There was only one saw in my childhood. I was my step dads husky 55. He bought it for keeping up our 33 acres and it was the first saw i ever used. To this day i still like the 55. Its a decent saw for what it is and brings back memories of almost cutting my leg off at the age of 12. As Red97 said not as nostalgic as some of the other stories but none the less its mine.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad ran xl-12's for years, but I never got to run the saws... The first time I ever ran a saw was probably when I was about 18 and I bought an 029 Super from a buddy for $100. I cut a lot of wood with that saw, before I knew any better.

Andydodgegeek

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My dad told me about when he bought his L77 Husky. He had ordered a L65 and when it came in and he went to pick it up there was a 77 sitting on the shelf. He asked what the difference was and the guy said "77 vs 65cc and $14". My dad said " Sold". I'm glad he did that. The 77's seem far less common as the 65's. Strong early 70's saw it is.

Andydodgegeek

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
First saw I personally bought was an 029. It was nice, (at the time), and when I went to help people cut they always looked at me and said that I had the best saw out there. I thought I was really on my game. Live and learn. I know the 029/290's are not looked upon real well on these sights but they truly are a decent home owner saw. Keep fresh gas in them and they'll treat you good for long time.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A Partner s55 was our only saw growing up. Dad bought it new in 1979. It's in need of a rebuild now and I'm in the process of gathering parts. Ugly as hell but it was a solid runner for 20+ years. It will live again so my boys can have a chance to spend some time with dad even though they never really got to know him. Things like saws and guns have a story to tell and I always feel like I'm not alone when carrying something that my dad and grandad used. Particularly a well used 22 rifle. Ahhhhh nostalgia!!!!

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl 028. Bought and given to me when I was 12. It was my job to supply the furnace with wood.
Sort of a tall order in Michigan with a 2 story farm house.
Surprised it didn't sour me on saws for life..
Lol.