High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Your Dad's chainsaw/saw's of your childhood

Cat Face-Timber

How do you like my Chicken"s Eye?
Local time
12:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Growing up My Dad had a Stihl 050 AV, which I still have. We milled alot with it. I was always confused on the kill switch.
He had a P62 as well, he would free hand slab with it, it was his falling saw as well. He got a Mac 610, we used it for years and then he traded a Red Bone hound for it.
He then bought a Husky 272XP. He passed away and I got all his saws. Well I got rid of the P62.. no spark.. STUPID.. so now I have the Stihl 050AV and the Husky 272XP.
I acquired a Mac 610 and just love it. Love the sound.

Saws to my Dad were tools, the same as dogs and pickups.

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Dad was a Mac and Homie dealer, in the late 50's in Mi. We moved to Phoenix in 1960 so not much use for a saw there. In 1967 he bought a Mac (I don't remember which model) to cut down a wooden flag pole in Phoenix to have milled for a fence. Jump ahead to 1978 and he bought a Jonsered 70E for firewood when we moved back to Mi. and I bought a 360 pro Homie. We used those for quite a few years until he quit burning wood somewhere around 1992. I started burning wood again in 1995 or 6 and bought an MS440 new, He was impressed with that saw, even though his knees wouldn't let him run a saw anymore. Now I use an 026 or an Echo 3400 for most of my cutting and use the 440 only when I have to.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When growing up I would go to the woods with my dad to get firewood for the year, bring it back in logs and split it at home. I remember always wishing he had a Stihl as they were well advertised and the funny yellow saw he had appeared to be a no name brand that I had never heard of. It really ran well and had a great note. This saw got stolen when our shed got robbed. Now that I am into saws and have restored a few partners l am glad my dad ran a Partner and not the popular Stihl.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Dad's first saw that I remember was a Mall 0MG built around 1954 or so. He had to tear it apart for some reason and the old piston and rod always hung above the bench in the garage. It was really hard to start it seemed.

Then in '68 or '69 he came home with this McCulloch 1-10. More reliable than the Mall, but he never liked 2 strokers even though he was a mechanic by trade. He gave it to me around 1974 and I've had it since.

It's so loud that I'm reluctant to start it here in town. But she really talks in the cut though!

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My old man had several saws before he bought the first one I remember. Said he got tired of messing with used junk and wanted a real saw. He went and bought a brand new Husqvarna 61 gray top in the early 80's, had to sell a browning double barrel shotgun to buy it. He used that saw for many years keeping me warm until the early 90's. He sat it in the garage where it didn't get used and the carb gummed up, fuel lines cracked etc. he started heating with wood again last year and went and bought a new 455 Rancher cause the old saw wouldn't run. This year for Christmas I went and got it, took it back to my place and resurrected the old 61. It was a pretty special moment for the two if us, the look in his eyes to see and hear that old saw run again was priceless. Needless to say the 455 is now for sale and the ol 61 runs better than it ever has.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember two saws of my dads. The first was an old Remington and the 2nd is a Husky 242xp. The Remington is disassembled in a crate. I actually brought it home last week and put on the shelf to work on. The 242xp is still running strong after all these years and I just got a brand new set of decals to dress it up. Will try to post some pics soon.

dgb84

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have my dad's 257 and its the only saw I have now. It needs a little work but I'm not sure what all it would require to make it 100% . It's the one saw I'll never sell.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never remember dad with a saw. My first saw experience was cutting with grandpa. He has a 034 and a John Deere 30.

I remember helping him cut a lot of wood with both of those saw, and he still has em both and uses them quite frequently.

Andydodgegeek

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My old man had several saws before he bought the first one I remember. Said he got tired of messing with used junk and wanted a real saw. He went and bought a brand new Husqvarna 61 gray top in the early 80's, had to sell a browning double barrel shotgun to buy it. He used that saw for many years keeping me warm until the early 90's. He sat it in the garage where it didn't get used and the carb gummed up, fuel lines cracked etc. he started heating with wood again last year and went and bought a new 455 Rancher cause the old saw wouldn't run. This year for Christmas I went and got it, took it back to my place and resurrected the old 61. It was a pretty special moment for the two if us, the look in his eyes to see and hear that old saw run again was priceless. Needless to say the 455 is now for sale and the ol 61 runs better than it ever has.View attachment 3096 View attachment 3097 View attachment 3098

That is a nice story. I know when I got my Dad's 77 back together I was going to give it back to him. But knowing he has lots of nice modern saws and the fact he has little feeling left in his hands and this 77 is tingly in your hands I saved him the pain and just use it for GTG's and old saw racing.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First saws I remember were partner R16's I believe. Dad logged about half the year those saws ran and ran. I remember when he brought the 500 home. My uncle said he was going to wish he bought the 5000 plus. Well the little 500 did well dad always ran used oil for chain oil. He also would mix 40:1 told me a little more oil to help it out. When the saw finally was not serviceable parter was out of business. He bought a used husky 50 from one of uncles but the bearing went a short time later. So he bought a 254. Turn out to be another great saw but ended up plaques with ignition problems.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That is a nice story. I know when I got my Dad's 77 back together I was going to give it back to him. But knowing he has lots of nice modern saws and the fact he has little feeling left in his hands and this 77 is tingly in your hands I saved him the pain and just use it for GTG's and old saw racing.

I have a feeling the 61 will be coming back to me soon. While I had it apart I deleted the base gasket. It's cranking about 185psi now and you can't give it a half hearted pull, it will remind you who is boss. Don't know how many years dad has left cranking a saw like that.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Dad bought 2 new saws the year I was born, a 4200 and 5200 poulan and those are what he used most of my childhood and I have both of them and use them regularly.

In my early teens dad started buying saws and probably has more than I do now and I'm not sure how many I have,when I was 13 he helped me buy my first saw, a beautiful brand new 064 and I still have it and it's my favorite. Long as I can remember I've had a saw in my hands.

He don't use a saw much anymore but he still loves to buy them. Lol

Arborealbuffoon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My Pops scored a Homie super ez automatic from a buddy some time in the mid 1970's. Being the super smart fella that he is, Pops decided to get me hooked on runnin' that thing. In a day or two he had marked a bunch of trees on his ridge to be thinned. With great vigor and absolutely no skills I ascended that mountain with tiny saw in hand. I doubt I dropped more than a dozen trees before I hung one up good. In the process of trying to cut down that hanger my dad's little saw ended it's useful life in a great heap of pulverized magnesium bits upon the forest floor.

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I recall (trying to) teach my teenage (southpaw) son to safely use a chainsaw years back; it started w/ yelling/ arguing; I (quickly) decided I needed a different approach. Finally, I stood, watched and then signaled to shut-down. When I started to talk, he (started to) argue about being left-handed and ....); and I calmly, quietly, said, "just resume your stance, but do not start the saw...". He planted both feet and held the saw, and looked over at me, and then I asked " and if that chain derails or breaks, where will it go and what will it hit?" He glanced down at his crotch, quickly side-stepped, and grinned sheepishly. I do believe he started listening more patiently that day... LOL

Brian Simonseth

CANCER AND STROKES SUCKS
Local time
12:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Dad had a little Homey with about 12 inches bar (I can't remember the model) he called it the bread cutter then he got this saw

pm555asmall_zpskjm5lbt1.jpg

Because my Uncle Ray had a boat load of yellow saws
. All I remember is my thumb was always sore after using this saw :D

This was in the late 60's early 70's

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Dad bought a poulan 3300 in late 80's guessing 88-89 maybe. I replaced the fuel and impulse lines about 12 years ago and just went through and did intake boot replacement, av's, and both lines again 2014. Top end still looking great. 20something years later.

Farm land use.

The mini mac 110 TH for limbing the trees I cussed more then once. I gave him a poulan 2000 to replace that pos. Then this year I gave him a easy start 180 for small work this year for Christmas so he had AV and easy start.

dads3300andapp365 005.JPG dads3300andapp365 008.JPG dads3300andapp365 001.JPG

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad had two big McCullochs and a mini-Mac. I remember him standing on the tractor fender trimming trees with the mini-Mac. I would drag it into the woods for him. I would dream about running that little saw. Wish I had them now. The first saw he let me run was this 024. It's not for sale.

image.jpeg