Your Dad's chainsaw/saw's of your childhood

TALLGUY

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I grew up with my dad working for the forest service in Nebraska. Not a lot of saw usage in Nebraska. He taught me how to sharpen on a XL12. I still have it and its twin. One of them had a bit of a fall out of a tree in the back yard. I also have his SL-5 Remington and Mac35. Everyone I knew growing up always had the same thing to say about saws. They never run when you need them and the chain is always dull. I wouldn't accept that answer. Now I know much more about why others felt that way and how to avoid it.

Sarahdodgegeek

Creepy Treemonkey Groupie
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When I was a kid, all I remember is that my dad had always loved cutting wood, but I never remember what saw he had.
When he was 84, we had a huge storm come through, and he came up to help cleanup with his old craftsman. I'm sure it served its purpose when he bought it, but by this time, it was a complete piece of *s-word. He actually had a board with a hook on it so he could brave the saw on it, after shooting ether into it to start the damned thing. It was just awful watching him go through it.
When he left, he asked Andy if he could take a look at it to see of he could get it to start better. Of course he said he would.
As soon as my dad left, Andy threw that saw away and said, let's go buy your dad a new saw.
So we bought him an easy start Stihl (in hindsight, a bit regrettable, shoulda just got him a battery powered saw) which he loved, for his 85th birthday.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
1:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad was a great dad but not too handy, if you know what I mean. He worked for Western Auto for 40 years and he did have an old Wizard 110 for trimming the silver maples in our yard. When he died I got it and several years later it just died. Me not knowing anything about chainsaws at the time, just threw it away. Years later and many chainsaws that I built I wish I had that Wizard 110. It would mean more to me than any chainsaw that I own, I guarantee it!! Hindsight being 20/20 I think all it needed was a carb kit.

ft. churchill

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I need to find a homelite 150. My dad had one and I remember that being the first saw I was ever allowed to use, and the first one to be allowed with to go out by myself and cut firewood.

TALLGUY

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish my dad was in good health to enjoy saws with me. I tell him about the saws I find or build for me or others. I know he would like to see them run but he can hardly get out of his chair. I still keep a saw at my parents house but only for emergency use. Dad tells me to take it home. He doesn't have a use for it. To think he once could climb a ladder with the SL5 to cut a 20" limb.
saw2.JPG
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I distinctly remember doing lots of cutting and splitting with my dad. By the time I was about 10 I was the primary cutter in the family.

10 you say? Isn't that a little young?

It may have been if I was using anything powered but we did all our camping in provincial parks and power saws were verboten. Still have that 30inch cross cut hanging in Mom's basement. I'll have to get it one day to hang on the garage wall...

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1959 Pioneer 610

Well it wasn't my dad's but he did have it in his possession for quite a few years. This saw was bought new by a grandfather I never knew. He passed on way before I was thought of. It was my mothers fathers and as I was told, it was one of the first chainsaws bought in this area. My dad was just happy to not have to hand saw wood anymore! It sat for all my life without being ran and as we figured that was more than 50 years. Last year I finally rebuilt the carb and got it goin'. Here is the second time it ran.

They can be pesky buggers to get running.
And I didn't want to run it long because I was missing the cylinder shroud. So I let is sit and cool before finishing it's first cookie.

I have since found a shroud but the rubbers still aren't there to keep the top cover from shakin'.

Barneyrb

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Poulan 361 when I was about 8 or so. He was a mechanic and it was used to keep the fireplace warm.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 2481

I just ran out to the garage and snapped a photo of my dad's old 77 Husky. My paint job leaves a lot to be desired, but it looks better than when he gave it to me. Still has original piston and cylinder.
Love the bar. Perfect photo platform.

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jonsred 601.

I was either 9 or 10yrs old. Dad gave me about 5min of instruction. Watched me for 10min. Then came back about 2hrs later and I was still going! lol Been hooked ever since...28 yrs later still have CAD! lol (38 now)

The other saw which was considerably smoother/way less vibes was a Stihl 042av. And of course dad got to use that. ...But from time to time I'd manage to sneak off with it and leave the 601. haha

My dad's buddy was a stihl dealer so we got to play with a bunch of other saws as well. But these two are what I used the most growing up. I have a lot of time on both saws.

Still have the 601 some place but I borrowed this pics from the internet.

2i091dg.jpg

1zobymt.jpg

I find it interesting these saws both weigh within a few ounces of my new Stihl 661R.

Last edited:

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First saw I used was dads Mac 250 super. I remember staring at it for years, then picking it, then being big enough to run it if dad started it.
About that time the muffler had rusted out and parts were unavailable. (Pre Internet, rural Australia).
Dad bought a husky 268, didn't need the 272xp. I remember thinking, but, but...... Dad got the 268 and a 20" and 24" bar for the price of the 272.
It ran rings around the Mac, and it still works just fine now, but it never comes out of the shed as my 562 runs rings around it! It was only after finding saw forums I learnt about open and closed port saws, and part of me wants to convert it to a 272!
3 saws, roughly 20 years between each. 90cc, 70cc, 60cc and all happiest with a 20" bar!
I've seen a couple of macs for sale at different times, nearly bought one a year or so ago for dad as a Xmas present. He said "I was happy when it was gone, and the last thing I need is to start collecting old chainsaws". Still might get one as I feel sentimental about it, even if he doesn't. Mind you, it cut him twice. It gave me a healthy respect for saws, and him a dozen stitches once and a couple of hundred another time.

Now the next generation - first saw my son ran was a husky 346 oe. Wonder if he'll be sentimental about it in 20 years.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
83cdc2b3c377786619db143c9099494f.jpg

Stole the image from online but... This is pretty close to what we had. Dad's had a Powersharp built into the side but he was too cheap to buy the Powersharp chain of course. It was a pretty ragged turd by the time dad bought a WT from Walmart. Yea I know, they suck too.

I remember using dad's old craftsman 2.3 tea pot with a banana nose bar for the better part of my childhood.

I was the first to have a pro saw in the family (makita 6401) and boy did that blow dad's hair back running it for the first time.

Andydodgegeek

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My Dad is turning 79 this year. He has an outdoor wood boiler so he still cuts lots of wood. He also sells a bit of firewood. He still runs his 075 now and then but most of the time he runs a newer 362 Stihl or his 660. I hope when I get to his age I can still get out and run the bigger saws in the woods.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Dad is turning 79 this year. He has an outdoor wood boiler so he still cuts lots of wood. He also sells a bit of firewood. He still runs his 075 now and then but most of the time he runs a newer 362 Stihl or his 660. I hope when I get to his age I can still get out and run the bigger saws in the woods.
That's impressive for your dad to still run saws that big, my Dad is 76 but sticks to his 450,345, cs400. Once in a while He'll get one of his 610's out but not very often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk