Wiseco 372 piston

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is one disturbing thing in this thread. That sexy wrist pin everybody wants. Titanium is not a bearing surface. Andrew says on his website that it made less than 40 tanks before failure. Why, it galls as bad as aluminum. That titanium wrist pin is guaranteed failure in its current state. They may be able to plate it with a more suitable bearing surface, perhaps nickel. Until the galling is addressed it really is a self destructive race piece.

(P.S. I'm not hating, I really hope they continue to develop it as it could be a major weight savings, almost as much as the piston lightening and that's good. I also want the Cbearings and wiseco piston for my next 372.)

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
4:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know Suzuki tried for quite a while to come up with a Titanium alloy to use in connecting rods but it never went anywhere. Apparently Titanium expands a lot under that much heat.

I think the wrist pin that came with my Wiseco kit was Chro-Moly.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know Suzuki tried for quite a while to come up with a Titanium alloy to use in connecting rods but it never went anywhere. Apparently Titanium expands a lot under that much heat.

I think the wrist pin that came with my Wiseco kit was Chro-Moly.
Hmm. I know some bikes use titanium valves. I'd imagine exhaust ones get quite hot.