Why no legitimate builders on YouTube?

Coop The Cutter

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've noticed all the big chainsaw channels on YouTube are run by guys who don't seem to have a very good reputation in this community. My question is, are there any legit chainsaw builders who post detailed videos on YouTube or other social media?? And if not, why not? Some of you guys post cookie cutting vids, Scott Kunz has some stuff on his channel, but there really aren't any legitimate builders with a YouTube following. Hotsaws101 does post a lot of videos and does seem to be a pretty knowledgeable guy, but he charges exorbitant fees for his work and his whole 3 stage porting deal seems kinda off to me compared to what everbody else does. Obviously you guys are all very busy so that may be the main reason, you also don't need more customers so there's no motivation from the advertising aspect. And y'all are boomers for the most part so ya don't care none about us daggone millennials on them thar social meteors. But to me it's disappointing to see these "BuILdeRzzz" on YouTube who really aren't putting out a good product misleading the masses and getting respect they don't deserve. I know multiple loggers who I've met who think Ripsaws or Monstersaws are legit builders, until they run one of my Huskihl saws and see what a true ported saw runs like AND what it should actually cost. There's lots of guys out there building good saws and I'd like to see them getting the credit they deserve instead of IronHorse or JCS or whoever else is out there pushing their junk, sincerely

Triggered Millennial

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"A fool and their money is soon parted" or maybe Ported?
I remember the BS artist Bear Grill's show about "survival"and sleeping in luxury hotels? Sometimes the fantasy is more attractive than the reality, people want to be apart of the image that they pay for ,well your either building great saws or your building an "image " so that has alot to do with it.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"A fool and their money is soon parted" or maybe Ported?
I remember the BS artist Bear Grill's show about "survival"and sleeping in luxury hotels? Sometimes the fantasy is more attractive than the reality, people want to be apart of the image that they pay for ,well your either building great saws or your building an "image " so that has alot to do with it.

Les Stroud was 1000x better!

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
11:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking for myself, I just like working on saws. I kinda hate being on camera, and don't really have any desire to learn how to edit videos, etc. Dyno Joe Mods (@Red97 ) is a good youtube channel for folks who are curious about what goes into (or should go into) a worksaw.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking for myself, I just like working on saws. I kinda hate being on camera, and don't really have any desire to learn how to edit videos, etc. Dyno Joe Mods (@Red97 ) is a good youtube channel for folks who are curious about what goes into (or should go into) a worksaw.
Same for me. You’re more likely to see the crack of my ass than my face in my videos

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done some informational videos before, you field a lot of questions in the comments many from people who have no clue. In the end they never get as many views as me cookie cutting with a Blue clone saw or the latest saw from a manufacture. A lot of time goes into producing a decent video just to have some wise guy tell you how you should sharpen your chain.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd bet it's pretty hard to do both. I watch most of them. Dyno Joe Mods ( @Red97 ), Bellhopper, Iron Horse, John's Custom, Tinman, I sometimes watch Billy Ray if I see an old mac in the thumbnail.

For pure saw building content, I really like @Red97 (Dyno Joe ) the best. After that it's Bellhopper or Iron Horse.

I won't judge anyone for not liking some of these guys, so long as you don't judge me for enjoying their content.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I port my own saws and none of you slackers follow me? !!
Haha , maybe it's what is inferred by the term "porter" and "influencer" because one works on saws the other has supplemental income based on likes and social media exposure. I highly doubt working 40-60hrs a week at a real living allows for both.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've noticed all the big chainsaw channels on YouTube are run by guys who don't seem to have a very good reputation in this community. My question is, are there any legit chainsaw builders who post detailed videos on YouTube or other social media?? And if not, why not? Some of you guys post cookie cutting vids, Scott Kunz has some stuff on his channel, but there really aren't any legitimate builders with a YouTube following. Hotsaws101 does post a lot of videos and does seem to be a pretty knowledgeable guy, but he charges exorbitant fees for his work and his whole 3 stage porting deal seems kinda off to me compared to what everbody else does. Obviously you guys are all very busy so that may be the main reason, you also don't need more customers so there's no motivation from the advertising aspect. And y'all are boomers for the most part so ya don't care none about us daggone millennials on them thar social meteors. But to me it's disappointing to see these "BuILdeRzzz" on YouTube who really aren't putting out a good product misleading the masses and getting respect they don't deserve. I know multiple loggers who I've met who think Ripsaws or Monstersaws are legit builders, until they run one of my Huskihl saws and see what a true ported saw runs like AND what it should actually cost. There's lots of guys out there building good saws and I'd like to see them getting the credit they deserve instead of IronHorse or JCS or whoever else is out there pushing their junk, sincerely

Triggered Millennial

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see it as having an apprentice around while trying to do what you want to do & making a vid. everything takes 4 x as long.
When you upload the vid, you get many apprentices asking the same questions & very few read the comments before asking.

i think most guys go through a phase of making vids, which can serve a good purpose for a business. But as that increases the vids tail off.