High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Who makes the best .325 full chisel chain right now?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The older Stihl RS has a good sized cutter that is very hard chromed. The older Oregon is similar to the Stihl but is not as hard. A bit easier to sharpen. I haven't tried the new Oregon in .325. The newer Stihl RS Pro seems to be a bit narrower. But it cuts very well.

cuttinscott

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The older Stihl RS has a good sized cutter that is very hard chromed. The older Oregon is similar to the Stihl but is not as hard. A bit easier to sharpen. I haven't tried the new Oregon in .325. The newer Stihl RS Pro seems to be a bit narrower. But it cuts very well.

From what I have learned over the years is Oregon and Stihl chains are equal hardness. But Stihl has thicker chrome plating. Thicker chrome makes more durable but can't get as sharp as Oregon chains. Anyone remember unchromed Oregon used to sell in box stores and Agway back in late 70's through early eighty's you could get a real sharp edge but it wouldn't last long

Scott

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I have learned over the years is Oregon and Stihl chains are equal hardness. But Stihl has thicker chrome plating. Thicker chrome makes more durable but can't get as sharp as Oregon chains. Anyone remember unchromed Oregon used to sell in box stores and Agway back in late 70's through early eighty's you could get a real sharp edge but it wouldn't last long

Scott
Never thought about it, but that might be why the Stihl RS loops I have don't feel as sharp in the cut freshly filed as the Oregon chains I am using.

On another note, for me Stihl RS does not hold an edge any longer than Oregon.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I’m buying new it’s Oregon. Stihls good. Haven’t tried husqvarna. I’ve got some partial rolls to use up so I’ll run them. Not picky on the 325. Usually those are short bars anyhow so I don’t care much. Currently running tri link on one Carlton on another and some off brand semi chisel on another. They’ll all cut pretty good. Oregon is my fav chain in general

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I like the Oregon/husky and Stihl chain. Stihl just edges out the Oregon chain for me. Haven’t seen the best bang for your buck in full chisel .325 mentioned yet. It has to be the woodland pro 10 pack deal at Bailey’s. Last time I bought it was around 12 bucks a 66dl loop. It’s Carlton 20rc in a woodland pro box.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone tried out the newer Tri-Link chain? Supposedly a premium grade. A couple of my vendors are selling it. Stens has it under Sabre and A&I (Sunbelt) has it under the Timber Ridge names. I do know cutter are a lot harder to hand file which got me to get an Oregon chain grinder as blisters on my hands is not my cup of tea. As the Titanium coating I only see that a marketing scheme as it wears off quickly on the drill bits that I have tried over the years.

Since I now basically only sell saw chain as I am no longer in the firewood cutting biz I have to rely on feedback from my customers and sites like this one before I invest in rolls of chain. I do know the previous Timber Ridge by Tri-Link had poorly spun rivets when compared to Oregon chain

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
While definitely not a deal at $26.95 per loop + tax this Stihl RS23 .325 .050 78dl chain performs well out of the box. This thread stimulated me to give it a try. Dolmar 5105 woodland pro nk bar 20”.View attachment 314306

Usually you can find a dealer that does some sort of 2-3 loop deal to lower that price a bit. My main Stihl dealer does a buy one get one 20% off. Another local dealer will do a buy 2 get 1 free deal a couple times a year.

Frawly’s usually has a good sale going on loops of Oregon chain. It pays to be subscribed to their newsletter.

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I actually bought that from eBay and that was pricing, shipping included, for a two pack of $53.90. There are no mom and pop dealers around here anymore and I only go to a dealer as a last resort if I cannot find parts online. Saves me a lot of headaches trying to explain their product and driving around for naught.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually you can find a dealer that does some sort of 2-3 loop deal to lower that price a bit. My main Stihl dealer does a buy one get one 20% off. Another local dealer will do a buy 2 get 1 free deal a couple times a year.

Frawly’s usually has a good sale going on loops of Oregon chain. It pays to be subscribed to their newsletter.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll subscribe to the newsletter.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm fairly happy with the new x cut chain from Husqvarna on my 550xpg. Seemed to me like I got a lot of cut time out of it and it cut fast enough to not be wanting more. Can also be purchased from our site sponsor HL Supply
https://www.hlsproparts.com/product-p/581643680.htm
I have no doubt that Stihl makes a good one if they're anything like the 3/8" I run. Just don't have any examples of .325" to compare.

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When i bought my 552, I was pleassantly surprised by the LPX chain, in spite of the bumper link. Moved to my old friend LGX when it came out in .325 and have been happy since.