High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What’s your standard CS milling thickness?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bump!

I too wanna know what thickness is optimal.

I have been told no less than 3" for table top boards.
Something about having enough to work with to smooth them out and the boards being less prone to cracking.

Adam G

Zigzag failures +4
GoldMember
Local time
9:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bump!

I too wanna know what thickness is optimal.

I have been told no less than 3" for table top boards.
Something about having enough to work with to smooth them out and the boards being less prone to cracking.
You're on the right track Wilhelm.
Table tops and furniture need to start at 8/4 and go up to 12/4 depending on the application.
If you're looking to cut some 4/4 boards for shelves and other projects you will need to sticker the pieces and apply weight.
Most woodworkers will cut their boards to a larger dimension and then use their bandsaw to book end the pieces.
Additionally if you're cutting wet timber be sure to seal the ends to slow down the drying process, this will eliminate the majority of the checking on drying timber.

Last edited:

Gvsu141

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All depends on the application. Just note that you need to usually cut them at least 1/4 thicker with a chainsaw mill than you would with a bandsaw mill, as the rougher finish usually takes more finishing to get them right. I find myself using 6/4 or 8/4 most often. Then some occasional 4/4 or 12/4