High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

what's yer stumper ?

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
6:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey youz guyz ( in my best Jersey accent)

I wanna set up a stump saw and only stump with it for a crew I resurrect dead saws for. they seem to believe the basic rule for "stumping" is.... "dis saw is da closest to muh stump....so I stump with this one" meaning they stump with anything. I also see a large amount of blown top ends with no apparent clear reason for it. ( see basic rule for stumping)

Im thinking I would like to set up ONE saw for stumping...he's got a few 1122 but no 088/84 to dedicate to it YET....

what would you use bar/chain and why....
@Moparmyway
@KenJax Tree
@Lone Wolf

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Semi chisel, 404, and 90cc

Roached top ends on stumpers are very common.
Hit some dirt, a rock, a pebble, a patch of lifted sand ........... full chisel is now dull chisel

Semi chisel you can basically slow down on the throttle and cut right through dirt, sand, and detritus

Semi chisel 404 is king for stumping

I run Stihl chain, but Oregon is good too, it just stretches a little bit more than the Stihl (YMMV)

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Semi chisel, 404, and 90cc

Roached top ends on stumpers are very common.
Hit some dirt, a rock, a pebble, a patch of lifted sand ........... full chisel is now dull chisel

Semi chisel you can basically slow down on the throttle and cut right through dirt, sand, and detritus

Semi chisel 404 is king for stumping

I run Stihl chain, but Oregon is good too, it just stretches a little bit more than the Stihl (YMMV)

so RMS .404 ?
any particular bar/tip sprocket combo ?

I don't have a "blank" check here....but its not MY money either

for the current line up its a really clean newer 661 or some road hard but put away wet 1122s

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so RMS .404 ?
any particular bar/tip sprocket combo ?

I don't have a "blank" check here....but its not MY money either

for the current line up its a really clean newer 661 or some road hard but put away wet 1122s
I'd tend to stay away from a new saw for stumping, but thats just me.

Pick your worst looking bar, any bar will do, this isnt dollar racing or firewood cutting.
Stumpin aint easy on the saw, operator, or bar and chain, so choose the worst of the bunch, sharpen the semichisel to 20-25 degree top plate, oiler to max, and get cuttin !

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Echo 590 when i bought mine over 4 year's ago.
I had every intention of seeing how much abuse it would take and see if their warranty was worth a crap lol
I've stumped a few tree's and ran the piss out of it cutting firewood.
Tensioner stripped echo mailed me a new one is the only problem I've had.
I know it's best to have a big saw
But i don't have to stump many tree's now cutting dead ash mainly now.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Toughest bar tips are probably stihl ES. Tsumura bars have the best rails but tips don't last if they're buried or bore cutting like an ES or Oregon.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One key thing my opinion. Too many try and flush cut stumps. I won't I won't bury my saw, chain, or bar in the ground for any job. There is a reason stump grinders are made. Of customer is to cheap I explain how low I will cut it and why. If they want it lower, but don't want to pay for grinding, tough. Haven't blown up a saw yet. And loss count of the stumps I have cut and cleared. I have cut stumps with 288s, 046s, 066s, 394, 395s, 2100s, 3120s, 084s, 088s, 076s. All work well for the job.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
One key thing my opinion. Too many try and flush cut stumps. I won't I won't bury my saw, chain, or bar in the ground for any job. There is a reason stump grinders are made. Of customer is to cheap I explain how low I will cut it and why. If they want it lower, but don't want to pay for grinding, tough. Haven't blown up a saw yet. And loss count of the stumps I have cut and cleared. I have cut stumps with 288s, 046s, 066s, 394, 395s, 2100s, 3120s, 084s, 088s, 076s. All work well for the job.
I don't blame you one bit