What's on your bench?

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Top ring is stuck and scoring on intake side of piston too.
Were they running without the air filter? Is the ring broken or just stuck? How does the cylinder look? Hopefully you don't need a new one, I tried to find an aftermarket 271/291 and they don't make them, Stihl's are $$$. I did the best I could to hone the scratches out and put in a new piston and got it running. Looked for about 6 months for a cylinder, even tried a MS 290 in an off chance it would work, but it didn't match up.

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Were they running without the air filter? Is the ring broken or just stuck? How does the cylinder look? Hopefully you don't need a new one, I tried to find an aftermarket 271/291 and they don't make them, Stihl's are $$$. I did the best I could to hone the scratches out and put in a new piston and got it running. Looked for about 6 months for a cylinder, even tried a MS 290 in an off chance it would work, but it didn't match up.
No, filter was on it, dirty, but there. Just stuck. Didn’t pay cylinder much attention since I found the crank in two pieces. Flywheel bearing is fooked also. It will be replaced with a 261 if I can talk my boss into it. Being a municipality we usually get the cheapest stuff. I am slowly trying to change that.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
t will be replaced with a 261 if I can talk my boss into it.
The MS 261 is a good upgrade from the 271, 4 HP (1/2 hp more than the 271) with the option to use either .325 or 3/8 chain. The 261 has lots of aftermarket parts available. I bought a 261 that had a scored piston and cylinder and bought a $50 Mtanlo kit off of Amazon and had it back up and running with no issues. I also have a 271, but grab the 261 first when I can.

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The MS 261 is a good upgrade from the 271, 4 HP (1/2 hp more than the 271) with the option to use either .325 or 3/8 chain. The 261 has lots of aftermarket parts available. I bought a 261 that had a scored piston and cylinder and bought a $50 Mtanlo kit off of Amazon and had it back up and running with no issues. I also have a 271, but grab the 261 first when I can.
IMG_5136.jpeg
IMG_5137.jpeg
IMG_5138.jpeg
Here’s the bearing, missing it’s innerds and piston. Looks like the bearing ate away at the crank stub too. I think we have 4-5 more 271’s. Hopefully this was a fluke.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s the bearing, missing it’s innerds and piston. Looks like the bearing ate away at the crank stub too. I think we have 4-5 more 271’s. Hopefully this was a fluke.
Well, if you can get a new crankshaft, the bearing and piston should not be an issue to get... the big question will be if the cylinder has deep scoring or not. If not, you might be able to get away with a relatively inexpensive repair.

Amazon - MS 271/291 crankshaft $34.73
Amazon - MS 271/291 Bearing $19.95
Amazon - MS 271/261 Piston/Rings $12.98

So far I have had good luck with Amazon, but you never know.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd suspect "friction weld" vibration of the handle against the hard surface of the phone case , they weld aluminum panels that way in some aircraft production.

Buzzing could be compression or vacuum escaping from a seal or gasket, they're a clam shell, right?
Could be on the friction weld, they are a clamshell I believe. I told him to check the drum and clutch, it was bogging in the video so I ruled out an air leak. But now I'm wondering if it was a lean bog.....

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jesus any more and it would have cut the spur in two lol.
Have a husky 340 that was locked up. When I looked to see if it was a rim or spur the bar looked out of place. Drive links had the spur to where you could see 2/3 or mor of the needles in the bearing. Had to poke the bar studs in and hold a sawzall with a carbide sawblade to finish cutting the spur and still had to pry the oiler drive gear from the shaft. Then when I got the piston out of the cylinder you could see a cross hatch pattern like you would want in a car engine. It did clean up but saw will need vibe damper springs, crank bearings, seals, clutch drum,rim, oil pump and drive gear. Cylinder ring and just as well kit the carb. Has a newish oem bar and good chain , the plastic tips the scale to make it worth fixing (To Me) as they are in great shape.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Remember the guy that brought the saw in with the spur that was almost cut in half? He brought this in today. Needed new fuel lines and a carb kit. But then I found this. One of his crew members put the air filter back on backwards and it's been sucking dust in. Compression still feels good though.

Redmax EBX8500. I've worked on all his. I really like them. Easy to work on and very stout.

IMG_5492.jpeg

Carb rebuilt and new lines installed.

IMG_5494.jpeg

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Bought a used 181se,, went to start it,,, starts,, i feel sharapnel,,, WTF shut it down
Guess the PO had smacked the starter dog bolt trying to get flywheel off,, didnt realize he had split the dog.
It took out a fin and some holes in the cover. I have a new used one coming.
You just never know.
1812husk.jpghusk1811.jpg

Last edited:

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
went to start it,,, starts,, i feel sharapnel
Was that your electrical tape on the wire or from the previous owner? If from the PO, I wonder what else might be under the hood somewhere that got messed with?

It was always something when a customer bought in a chainsaw and stated that it never seemed to run right and upon taking a look there was all sorts of Mickey Mouse mechanic work going on. Often times had to first replace any safety gear on the equipment before getting into the heart of the problem.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Was that your electrical tape on the wire or from the previous owner? If from the PO, I wonder what else might be under the hood somewhere that got messed with?

It was always something when a customer bought in a chainsaw and stated that it never seemed to run right and upon taking a look there was all sorts of Mickey Mouse mechanic work going on. Often times had to first replace any safety gear on the equipment before getting into the heart of the problem.
POs work,, i can do better. The only history it was his dads,,,

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Off the bench as such.. I finally thought I'd finish this thing off has been sitting in the corner few years I been slack lol
It don't help parts are drying up for the old 2T's takes time sourcing parts from all over the world.
Anyway she's not far off firing up..The last of the parts needed should be here end of the week👍

2002 RM250
20231213_162214.jpg
20231213_162125.jpg

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This Saturday I’ve been asked to cut up a 52” trunk on the ground. No limbs. Don’t know how long it is yet but these three are what I’m taking. I put the Stihl together for practice. Don’t get to use it often and never with a bar this long. I have a long bar for the 166, but I’m skeerd to use it. I got parts for the Stihl if it breaks.IMG_5512.jpeg

Last edited:

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This Saturday I’ve been asked to cut up a 52” trunk on the ground. No limbs. Don’t know how long it is yet but these three are what I’m taking. I put the Stihl together for practice. Don’t get to use it often and never with a bar this long. I have a long bar for the 166, but I’m skeerd to use it. I got parts for the Stihl. View attachment 400515
Not going to bring a 143 too?

aljewett

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@aljewett - sweet! Have fun! I certainly did with mine rebuilding it. New wheels and axle bolts really helped mine. I used mine this morning to mulch leaves. Mine came with a bag but I prefer mulching and mine also has the mulching thing installed above the blade. See below for parts.

@5155 - eBay was how I sourced many parts for the one I posted above. I also used regular OPE parts houses for some things. Facebook marketplace is a good source for parts mowers.

Here’s what’s on my bench today. Had a hell of a time getting it apart. For 50 bucks it was a heck of a deal. Runs perfectly and has great compression. I just want to clean it up really well and check for issues.

View attachment 397481

View attachment 397482

View attachment 397483
Nice saw, I have the 020AV. Light, reliable, cuts like a champ.

aljewett

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$45 from a local guy, a 1974 LB with a D-433 engine. Anyone know a good place for parts? It needs a coil for sure, so I may just replace it with an electronic kit. Bones look really good, nice clean carb. Lots of carbon in the muffler/exhaust ports. I'll pull the jug before I start dropping $$$ into it.
Brick top update;
After a complete tear down, new rings, coil, recoil spring, and a few other minor things, it started on the 2nd pull. Coincidentally, the recoil spring broke on the 2nd pull. Argh. Got it replaced, now it starts on the first pull when cold, 1/2 pull if it's warm. Can't wait until spring to do some cutting!
Merry Christmas y'all. IMG_0652 (1).jpg