What's on your bench?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I've read and contributed to many debates on using OEM vs. AM circlips for aftermarket piston kits. Generally, I've used what came with the kits and never had a problem..., when the right size clips are provided.

Granted, the grooves are usually a bit deeper and wider in AM pistons -- probably approaching an extra mm or two larger than the pin -- easy. But do they actually expect a 12mm clip to not deform while trying to squeeze it into place through a 10mm hole for a 10mm wrist pin?

Doing one today with that problem. No way that clip was going in without deforming so I used an OEM Stihl clip instead. It went in easy by comparison which also has me a little nervous since it's swallowed up pretty good by the groove. Pin isn't going anywhere, but I can't help but wonder how secure the clips actually are. I've only used OEM clips in AM kits a couple times when the AM clips deformed. Nervous each time then, too..., and for the same reason. They were swallowed up in an oversized groove.

Just kinda curious about other folks' experiences with the same issue.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should compare them to destruction some time.
Just take one AM & one OEM & compare the two.
There is a lot of people who have had problems with AM.

I've never used AM but cant imagine them standing up to abuse like OEM's can.
I recently pulled some old 12mm Shindaiwa clips & was shocked at their strength!

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't even know about trimming the AM clips in 1 or 2 rebuilds I did early on , I haven't had any problems yet.
Even with oem I try and seat the clips real hard with a 1/4" socket , if I can't push them out or the pin, its very unlikely that during normal operation of the saw they would come out.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't even know about trimming the AM clips in 1 or 2 rebuilds I did early on , I haven't had any problems yet.
Even with oem I try and seat the clips real hard with a 1/4" socket , if I can't push them out or the pin, its very unlikely that during normal operation of the saw they would come out.
You mean trim the ears off?

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I've read and contributed to many debates on using OEM vs. AM circlips for aftermarket piston kits. Generally, I've used what came with the kits and never had a problem..., when the right size clips are provided.

Granted, the grooves are usually a bit deeper and wider in AM pistons -- probably approaching an extra mm or two larger than the pin -- easy. But do they actually expect a 12mm clip to not deform while trying to squeeze it into place through a 10mm hole for a 10mm wrist pin?

Doing one today with that problem. No way that clip was going in without deforming so I used an OEM Stihl clip instead. It went in easy by comparison which also has me a little nervous since it's swallowed up pretty good by the groove. Pin isn't going anywhere, but I can't help but wonder how secure the clips actually are. I've only used OEM clips in AM kits a couple times when the AM clips deformed. Nervous each time then, too..., and for the same reason. They were swallowed up in an oversized groove.

Just kinda curious about other folks' experiences with the same issue.
A few years ago I used the original OEM clips in a Meteor piston and they slipped in real easy like yours did, that saw lost both clips, bent the crank and knocked a hole on the case. Now I check the wire diameter if I'm going to use the OEM clips and make sure they are still springy.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I've read, there has been ALOT more issues with AM clips overall than OEM.
Could be OEM has cut corners over the years to save precious coin, but overall OEM clips are as designed.
AM is "close" to as designed.
Personally, I'd never use AM in a valuable saw.
It is a critical point as is wrist pin & bearing.
Just MHO.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually, the critical point when mixing AM and OEM is the tolerance between the AM clip groove and the OEM clip. Hence my concern as explained. The only times I've used OEM clips in AM pistons I used new OEM clips. Never re-used.

And for the record, I've used dozens and dozens of the provided AM clips with and without trimmed ears and not had one single failure. On the other hand, my only clip failures were both OEM clips with OEM piston kits. One deformed and lost tension when installed and the other was simply not completely installed.

And fwiw, OEM clips will bend and deform just like AM clips if incorrectly forced into position..., sometimes even easier.

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I'll roll with the OEM since the AM 12mm clips provided ain't gonna fit into a 10mm wrist pin slot without major deformity anyway. I needed to force the OEM clip ends into proper orientation with my little insertion tool once they were in the groove, so have a certain degree of confidence in them -- in a static room temp condition. What concerns me is their ability to withstand extended operation hot at 14k. I imagine I'll find that out pretty fast.

Last edited:

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually, the critical point when mixing AM and OEM is the tolerance between of the AM clip groove and the OEM clip. Hence my concern as explained. The only times I've used OEM clips in AM pistons I used new OEM clips. Never re-used.

And for the record, I've used dozens and dozens of the provided AM clips with and without trimmed ears and not had one single failure. On the other hand, my only clip failures were both OEM clips with OEM piston kits. One deformed and lost tension when installed and the other was simply not completely installed.

And fwiw, OEM clips will bend and deform just like AM clips if incorrectly forced into position..., sometimes even easier.

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I'll roll with the OEM since the AM 12mm clips provided ain't gonna fit into a 10mm wrist pin slot without major deformity anyway. I needed to force the OEM clip ends into proper orientation with my little insertion tool once they were in the groove, so have a certain degree of confidence in them -- in a static room temp condition. What concerns me is their ability to withstand extended operation hot at 14k. I imagine I'll find that out pretty fast.

So spread the word?
AM is the way to go?
Do you have to trim em?
You have Google right?

I wouldn't use AM clips if they were free.
When I can simply pay under $1/ea OEM.

Just MHO.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which specific brand of AM circlips should I be looking for?
There's only about 80 different versions of Chinesium flavors to choose from?

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not on a bench but the tail gate of my little truck .These little toys my niece said would not run for some reason . For one the 240 was so plugged up with sawdust on the filter it couldn't breath and the chain looked like they where cutting chain link fence .I got it going but it certainly did not impress me .I'll get other one in a day or so . I hope the second one is better than this thing .

Attachments

• DSCN1232[2].JPG
    DSCN1232[2].JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 22

WillG

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found this in the shop the other day. Guy didn't want to fix it so he let me have it. Getting a fuel system overhaul so new fuel line, fuel filter, tank vent and carb kit as the diaphragms are pretty crispy. Cleaned up nicely too. New air filter and gasket on the way too. Seems pretty healthy and popped on mix down the carb.
ac8e8dcd4711d81acc47bf859a596e29.jpg
004c7b6d015aa0996d5bfd45610889c7.jpg
93ed5b18759f130e7672b73e7904cd2c.jpg
1829e48bff20194f3689bad0ecd1cbf7.jpg
fca8c5ffdc51d120b7113b60894f78a2.jpg
1bc53b7d0ece3ab4dc1e60a85ce241bc.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So spread the word?
AM is the way to go?
Do you have to trim em?
You have Google right?

I wouldn't use AM clips if they were free.
When I can simply pay under $1/ea OEM.

Just MHO.
The point is, some AM pistons machined the clip grooves for larger wire diameter. OEM just won't work. Especially for those small bore saw pistons.
Maybe try trimming a 12mm OEM clip for the 10mm wrist pin bore.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Will these ara a great all around saw! I definitely would share that a muffler mod is really needed with these though, they really choke without it.
Nice score , you suck.

WillG

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Will these ara a great all around saw! I definitely would share that a muffler mod is really needed with these though, they really choke without it.
Nice score , you suck.
Hehehe thank you!
What's the most common muffler mod?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

JoeDirt

Piss Jug Tosser
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trying to get a swivel locking pin made for my bench vise. Made some drawings based on the old one. The vise is a Prentiss, I think pre-war but don't quote me. Big old MFer, over 100 lbs. Swivel jaw and swivel base.
IMG_20190626_160007803.jpg IMG_20190626_160056869.jpg 20221001_132034.jpg 20221001_135653.jpg