Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
7:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another interesting thing would be to find what the oils flash point is. Weather high or low. I can't help but think flash point plays a part with how well they oil the internals without producing carbon.
My thoughts are that when the oils is mixed heavy enough, it becomes too much to burn and actually washes the internals of the combustion chamber because it stays in liquid form - possibly one of the reasons some guys experience squeaky clean internals yet also have a gummy muffler..

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My thoughts are that when the oils is mixed heavy enough, it becomes too much to burn and actually washes the internals of the combustion chamber because it stays in liquid form - possibly one of the reasons some guys experience squeaky clean internals yet also have a gummy muffler..
I could see that.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do believe that it was the dino oil that killed the 3120. No ring of death...just a smooth transition from bore to squish band. Ring end gap is consistent at .021" top and bottom. Carbon buildup on top of the piston, and on the squish band above the exhaust port left nearly no squish clearance. It looks to me like the carbon migrated down the front edge of the piston, and behind the top ring....forcing the ring out into the cylinder wall with enough force to begin taking off the plating.

20230419_140017.jpg20230419_140131.jpg20230419_140241.jpg20230419_140031.jpg20230419_140043.jpg

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do believe that it was the dino oil that killed the 3120. No ring of death...just a smooth transition from bore to squish band. Ring end gap is consistent at .021" top and bottom. Carbon buildup on top of the piston, and on the squish band above the exhaust port left nearly no squish clearance. It looks to me like the carbon migrated down the front edge of the piston, and behind the top ring....forcing the ring out into the cylinder wall with enough force to begin taking off the plating.

View attachment 374543View attachment 374544View attachment 374545View attachment 374546View attachment 374547
So what's your feelings on more oil Randy? @rogue60 has had very good results with 25:1 dino. Not stihl oil, not 3120, not milling tho.

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 374543View attachment 374544View attachment 374545View attachment 374546View attachment 374547
Carbon assassination !!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what's your feelings on more oil Randy? @rogue60 has had very good results with 25:1 dino. Not stihl oil, not 3120, not milling tho.
I wish I had a good answer Adam.....but I never use dino oil. So I have no experience with it.

I do have some thoughts on what oil I would use when milling with a 120cc non-autotune type saw though. Belray H1R at either 25:1 or 32:1.

The 3120XP doesn't have an adjustable carb from the factory....and in my experience, this saw runs extremely rich in stock form. I believe the Stihl dino oil....at 32:1 in a saw that was probably running far too rich and never fully cleaning up.....while experiencing a *s-wordload of heat from milling was a recipe for disaster.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish I had a good answer Adam.....but I never use dino oil. So I have no experience with it.

I do have some thoughts on what oil I would use when milling with a 120cc non-autotune type saw though. Belray H1R at either 25:1 or 32:1.

The 3120XP doesn't have an adjustable carb from the factory....and in my experience, this saw runs extremely rich in stock form. I believe the Stihl dino oil....at 32:1 in a saw that was probably running far too rich and never fully cleaning up.....while experiencing a *s-wordload of heat from milling was a recipe for disaster.
See, people can talk about oil without calling each other dicks.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you need someone to call you a dick, I can page @dall
If you're gonna do that might as well get some good usage and have him give the dik at Stihl that thought up destructive oil to sell more saws repeated sack kicks for a week or so. Prolly find that guy driving on the autobahn, he'll be the one in the gold plated Mercedes.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well *s-word I actually had good luck with orange bottle
I never milled with a fixed jet carb though.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning, gents. My name is Chris. Long time lurker but felt it was time to finally register on the forum. The 3120 above is mine. I had originally planned on having work done to it eventually but once it started acting funny, I figured I might as well call it quits on that big tree I was working on because I didn't want to damage the saw and get ahold of randy to see what was needed from me to get the ball rolling. Randy was nice enough to pencil me into his schedule awhile back so I sent him my saw to make it run like a 3120xp should. When he asked what oil I use after opening my saw up and told me that particular oil is junk, I instantly knew I should have ran better oil. I will now run the oil he recommends from here on out when i get the saw back. I'm a Husky guy through and through and the only reason I used the orange bottle Stihl oil is because the local saw shop carries it in bulk and its half the price of the synthetic stuff. I always thought that because I kind of baby the saw and don't abuse it, that particular would be fine. Seeing this kind of wear in a saw that really doesnt have that many hours on it makes me think the oil is the culprit and i really should have spent a little extra on a high quality oil. I bought the saw brand new , took my time breaking it in and always mixed my fuel rich. During cuts, I'd always stop atleast twice for a minute or 2 and let the saw idle and cool down then continue on with the cut. I never let it run out of fuel either. Everything I thought I could do that was overly cautious to prolong the life of the saw and it still started eating itself.
Welcome to OPEforum!

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you need someone to call you a dick, I can page @dall
Lol I think they are mostly the other way
Dickless lol
If you're gonna do that might as well get some good usage and have him give the dik at Stihl that thought up destructive oil to sell more saws repeated sack kicks for a week or so. Prolly find that guy driving on the autobahn, he'll be the one in the gold plated Mercedes.
Lol biased lol

bertfixessome

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Pistons seal against the bore because the charge gets behind the ring and pushes it against the bore
However Asians of carbon can break away and get stuck between the piston , the piston ring and the bore gouging the surface .
\
Build ups like that are either too much oil or labouring the the engine so throttle is wide open but engine is running well below full speed .
Or some times both .