What oil is best? and what ratio?

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Historically I ran 32:1 in my dirtbikes, current day water cooled ones included.

Then I asked a friend what he runs in his KTM300 when he desert races, 40:1! And he is wide open, have to say I was a little surprised, I was running 32:1 for cross country and moto, he’s running 40:1 out in the open on the fast stuff, of course jetting/tuning really starts to be a big part of the equation here as well.

He wasn’t advocating it as the only way to do it, just said no problems ever noted when doing a top end rebuild so he sticks with it.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just commit you poor metrimperial weirdo!!!

1 litre of petrol (gas).
30ml of oil. 33:1
25ml of oil. 40:1
20ml of oil. 50:1

I'm sure there are ratios after that but meh....
I mix my fuel adding oil with a 20ml syringe, usually in a 1l can, sometimes a 2l one.
I ad 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 syringe of red Makita oil into 1l of gas, I tend to err on the "more oil" side - that brings me to a ratio between 40:1 & 32:1 and I am quite happy with it.

I recently took the muffler off of one of my large frame Dolmar's and I dare say the piston and piston ring looked fine.
There was a nice oil film on the piston.

I NEVER use a fuel mix in my saws that I haven't personally mixed.
Sometimes I get handed fuel mix bucking other people's logs, I either mix in more oil and run it through my cheap supermarket weed eater, or I burn it on a brush pile.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
10:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I mix my fuel adding oil with a 20ml syringe, usually in a 1l can, sometimes a 2l one.
I ad 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 syringe of red Makita oil into 1l of gas, I tend to err on the "more oil" side - that brings me to a ratio between 40:1 & 32:1 and I am quite happy with it.

I recently took the muffler off of one of my large frame Dolmar's and I dare say the piston and piston ring looked fine.
There was a nice oil film on the piston.

I NEVER use a fuel mix in my saws that I haven't personally mixed.
Sometimes I get handed fuel mix bucking other people's logs, I either mix in more oil and run it through my cheap supermarket weed eater, or I burn it on a brush pile.
I wouldn't use others mix either.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@huskihl

I did test super techniplate, forgot to record the times. I'll have to go through the thread to find it.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Why haven’t I been invited to oil test. !!!?
Here is the thing. The majority of the results, pictures vids ect, are no longer in the pm. I started using Dropbox as my hoast / storage. After 21 oils I moved it all to a flash drive and deleted it from drop box. I was running low on space. This rendered all those links dead. I hadn't done a lean test in a long time. Maybe a year? until I decided to do the Opti 2 I was given by a buddy. No idea when there will be another. Trimmers hard to come by, the trimmers I use, and I have other things going on. There are two for sure I want to get to at some point and maybe a couple more. Until then its more of a hangout. I am going to try and wind up the 50:1 testing again here soon. We can talk about it. PM me.

Last edited: