High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

What octane is best, and why

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
8:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm huffing some right now,..why what you running right now? I'm interested.

Bull Mountains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So no one brought up oxygen supplements in the package additives.
Winter oxygenated fuel vs summer fuel?
Hell, does anyone even check on that, not likely.

What about deterrents or detergents?
You know... the cleaning additives.

Octane takes a third seat here for me. They sell that in bottles if needed. Old farm tractors run on 75 octane rated fuels but they only sell it new in stale as old-piss from third world countries or that eth *s-word degrading away in your fuel can right now. Put it back out in the sun to help it out some more :rolleyes:

Shelf life is about three weeks on a modern summer package pump gas with eth from our local pumps if you keep it in a sealed container out of direct sunlight. Not shut, not covered but sealed up from air transfer to keep the water out and the light ends in. Piss poor fuel is the result if not used within weeks. Forgetabout months, troof.

The best octane is the fresh kind.

Back to your regularly scheduled flame front :flamethrower2:
Ethanol is about the only oxygenate still in use.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
3:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope not abit
I’m not talking making the most HP available. I’m talking a fuel we can all get to put in our chainsaws that will allow us the best power available to us.

And despite what you believe, flame travel is the problem, anti-knock compounds are the cure. If it’s moving fast inside an environment that wasn’t built to handle it, what to do? You must slow it down. Yea, cost you some pony's but you live to run another day. That’s all racing fuel talk and I’m familiar. I used torco in blown vettes. Didn’t need it in the winter, only for summer time. I don’t buy the article in whole to say the least, it certainly represents that fellows opinion and I can see you agree. That’s ok.
But I’m just running chainsaws. Traded the last vette for a pickup. I gave away my last 5 gals of torco.
Made my tailpipes brown.

Last edited:

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was under the impression that racing fuel was like racing oil. No detergents and things like that in it. Inquiring minds want to know?

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was under the impression that racing fuel was like racing oil. No detergents and things like that in it. Inquiring minds want to know?
You’ll have to ask someone who used it:rolleyes:

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Being that we mix oil in with the fuel octane is subjective? After all you "can" run white camp gas in your saw and its 50 octane and very clean.
My major concern is heat that may be generated from lower octane fuel or carbon deposits through hot spots in the cylinder.
I generally use 90-96 e-free gas with a stabilizer and 40:1 (heavy towards 32:1) .
I was tinkering around with a 1973 318cid and an f-code Paxton blower once and researched" Water injection " I made my own with an old desiel fuel pump and some ss tubing. The point was to make pump gas act like race gas ,aka burn cooler and atomize better .
Obviously adding water to fuel is not helping the octane but it certainly helps with knock and ping when making compression!
I have fuel books all the way back to the 50s and 60s on theory and design and I have spoken with fuel designers in reseach laboratories (coal slurry jet fuel)
A high octane is better burning for lower temperature whether you need it or not but most additives that make the biggest advances aren't available anymore. I ran a push mower on benzene for a summer and boy did that sumabitch cut grass!

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Being that we mix oil in with the fuel octane is subjective? After all you "can" run white camp gas in your saw and its 50 octane and very clean.
My major concern is heat that may be generated from lower octane fuel or carbon deposits through hot spots in the cylinder.
I generally use 90-96 e-free gas with a stabilizer and 40:1 (heavy towards 32:1) .
I was tinkering around with a 1973 318cid and an f-code Paxton blower once and researched" Water injection " I made my own with an old desiel fuel pump and some ss tubing. The point was to make pump gas act like race gas ,aka burn cooler and atomize better .
Obviously adding water to fuel is not helping the octane but it certainly helps with knock and ping when making compression!
I have fuel books all the way back to the 50s and 60s on theory and design and I have spoken with fuel designers in reseach laboratories (coal slurry jet fuel)
A high octane is better burning for lower temperature whether you need it or not but most additives that make the biggest advances aren't available anymore. I ran a push mower on benzene for a summer and boy did that sumabitch cut grass!
I ran and raced my 1/5 scale cars for years on camp fuel and 25:1 oil. Super clean and smells cool too.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran and raced my 1/5 scale cars for years on camp fuel and 25:1 oil. Super clean and smells cool too.
Years ago we ran our model airplanes on Coleman camp fuel mixed with drug store casor oil.

Worked on a buddies outboard with VRO years ago. The manual said to use 87 or better octane fuel and that the oil injection ratio at idle was 200:1 and progressed to 50:1 at full throttle. Of course being a bass fisherman the boat never saw idle it was always full throttle. Them bass are fast.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
UOTE="Larry B, post: 1225430, member: 3952"]Years ago we ran our model airplanes on Coleman camp fuel mixed with drug store casor oil.

Worked on a buddies outboard with VRO years ago. The manual said to use 87 or better octane fuel and that the oil injection ratio at idle was 200:1 and progressed to 50:1 at full throttle. Of course being a bass fisherman the boat never saw idle it was always full throttle. Them bass are fast.[/QUOTE]

None of my buddies would try it. My engines were stock 23 and 26cc. Some piped, some modded or after market cans. They thought I was nuts. I read about it on a giant scale plane site snd tried it. Never stank up the car I transported them in nor the hobby room. Now all I run is VP 94 small engine fuel or Sunoco Optima 95 small engine fuel.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't flow the models since the 70's. I flew control line combat. All the combat guys used an engine called the Fox 36 BB combat special. I sold off everything but a handful of a Cox .049 engines. Showing my age.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't flow the models since the 70's. I flew control line combat. All the combat guys used an engine called the Fox 36 BB combat special. I sold off everything but a handful of a Cox .049 engines. Showing my age.
Used to use the same engines back in the mid-70’s.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
8:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I run low octane. I like my air compressed to F*,, through a turbine and and I like a heat source to start.
What am I? Haha

Last edited:

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Member these? I wanted one so bad I could taste it as a boy in the early 60’s. Just couldn’t cut enough grass to make it happen. Got this one a few years ago. Scratch it off the bucket list. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wouldn't that look good on a Carl Goldberg VooDoo.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cox is gone unfortunately.