What octane is best, and why

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate ultra in any 2stroke equipment I’ve used it in. But I’ve heard it works quite well in their 4mix machines. But I have no first hand experience as to whether that’s true or not.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i worked for a friend a in 2018 and he only used ultra in all of his stuff. i hate that crap it smells bad gives me a headache and oozes out the muffler like snot. no matter how things are tuned. I thought the gas was mixed wrong and the carb was set way fat. nope just ultra i quit using it and mixed some xp oil i had and things ran better and no more headache. i told him all about it but he is convinced he has to use ultra for his warranty

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i worked for a friend a in 2018 and he only used ultra in all of his stuff. i hate that crap it smells bad gives me a headache and oozes out the muffler like snot. no matter how things are tuned. I thought the gas was mixed wrong and the carb was set way fat. nope just ultra i quit using it and mixed some xp oil i had and things ran better and no more headache. i told him all about it but he is convinced he has to use ultra for his warranty
Thats the reason I switched to Echo red armor, ultra gave me a headache.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
3:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate ultra in any 2stroke equipment I’ve used it in. But I’ve heard it works quite well in their 4mix machines. But I have no first hand experience as to whether that’s true or not.
I’ve seen a lot of Stihl 4mixers with coked up valves. I can’t say it’s the oil for sure, but that would be my first guess.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i called the gas station that i used to get efree87 at and now they only carry the 92. so stupid

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to understand why one needs to lubricate, reduce regens, maintain turbo or dissolve sludge in chainsaw fuel tank. But it’s your money and spend it how you like.

You mean to tell me your chainsaw doesn't have DPF, EGR, or a turbo?

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I did and tore the saw down in 5 years and found there was little to no wear would you still think the ratio was too light or would that make a believer out of you?
I believe it would be good for you to see what happens, let us know how it turns out. After 5 more years, doubt I will be cutting any longer.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are many videos of chainsaw teardowns with saber at 80:1. It's not as catastrophic as you would like to imagine. I take it you're a "change your vehicle oil at 3,000 miles or it will blow up no matter what the bottle says" kind of guy.

It’s got nothing to do with the cylinder walls though. Vegetable oil at 80:1 leaves plenty of oil on the walls and piston. It’s the bearings that won’t last. But it all depends on how many hours you plan on using the saw. Most people can cut their own firewood for 30 years and only put 300 hours on a saw. It’s fine for that. But that’s only 3 months for a tree service.