Country flag

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some McCulloch bling I recently acquired. You may have seen this on eBay, I contacted the seller and was able to get it for a reduced rate. I am not sure what Richard V. Dempster's role was at McCulloch but his name appears on several documents I have in the R.V. Jackson file. Robert Vernon Jackson was an Engineer at McCulloch and R.V. Dempster was cc'd on some of R.V. Jackson's patent award letters.

View attachment 301208

View attachment 301209

It looks a little more like a beaver in person...

Mark

Nice find Mark.

I'm not sure what Richard Dempster did at McCulloch but he was a senior executive at Black and Decker.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks av8or3, that saw had some aluminum brackets like you describe when I got it but they had already failed. I will try to remember and add something before I run it much again. This is a GTG saw for me so it doesn't get many hours on it in a year.

Tim - I heard from another reliable source today and he also noted that Richard V Dempster came to McCulloch from B&D and was named Vice President - Engineering or something like that during his McCulloch tenure. The "Officers of McCulloch Corp." were mostly B&D guys at the time the statue was presented. That was also the time when McCulloch was running their "Beaver" advertisements.

(231) 1980 McCulloch chainsaws commercial - YouTube

Mark

Last edited:

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks av8or3, that saw had some aluminum brackets like you describe when I got it but they had already failed. I will try to remember and add something before I run it much again. This is a GTG saw for me so it doesn't get many hours on it in a year.

Tim - I heard from another reliable source today and he also noted that Richard V Dempster came to McCulloch from B&D and was named Vice President - Engineering or something like that during his McCulloch tenure. The "Officers of McCulloch Corp." were mostly B&D guys at the time the stature was presented. That was also the time when McCulloch was running their "Beaver" advertisements.

(231) 1980 McCulloch chainsaws commercial - YouTube

Mark

Richard V Dempster had a pretty sterling career after McCulloch. He passed away in January 2020 at the age of 91.

While I was researching that I came across some interesting stuff about the acquisitions of McCulloch.

I will be picking up a freebie model 44 later this month that was dropped of to a friend of mine. The original owner delivered it and said he was using it to limb some trees on the trail to their hunting camp last year.
He must be in good shape for his age.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That it pretty nice Cole, I don't remember seeing one with the extra handle like that before.

Mark

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been working on getting the shop up to speed, I now have a workbench in the opposite corner from the saw work for grinding, filing, and general dirty work.

20210804_183244.jpg

In order to save space, I put the chain grinders and bar rail dresser on a sort of lazy susan turntable.

Chain grinder

20210804_183255.jpg

Depth gage station

20210804_183308.jpg

Bar rail grinder

20210804_183328.jpg

Mark

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The idea was, rather that push against the spring to the stop (which was rather iffy in regards to being consistent) I would let it down easily and let the weights supply even pressure every time. It works unless I accidentally drop it...

Mark

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did not notice that. Some people have mentioned trying to ‘de-tune’ the spring to reduce required force.

‘Hard stop’ not being consistent is not clear to me. The uniform weight / pressure design was a failure point of the automatic Temco grinder: hardened cutters resisted abrasion and were not uniformly shaped, as well as when the wheels got glazed.

Philbert

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The mechanical stop is not all that positive, if you pull harder on the handle you can cut deeper. When setting the depth gauges I wanted a way to ensure I was getting all of them to more precisely the same height. By adding the weights I just lower the arm slowly and let the weights apply the same force every time.

If you are not careful and drop it, you get a really low depth gauge.

Mark

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
av8or - thanks again. I will mount them after I go to Baraboo, WI next week. Don't want spikes to catch and slow me down during the demonstration.

20210810_190904.jpg

This weekend was our "Watermelon Days" celebration in our small town of Dike. I decided to outfit my new woodhauler and drive it in the parade. I thought I would be clever and get some magnetic signs made to dress up the truck, I was not so clever to remember Ford went to all aluminum bodies in 2015...

20210813_165604.jpg

20210813_170118.jpg

I also had my local tree service friend drop off a nice large stem from an ash he was taking down in town this week. I can put a lot more saws out on display when I want to.

20210814_084120.jpg

20210813_170106.jpg

Mark

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
av8or - thanks again. I will mount them after I go to Baraboo, WI next week. Don't want spikes to catch and slow me down during the demonstration.

View attachment 305598

This weekend was our "Watermelon Days" celebration in our small town of Dike. I decided to outfit my new woodhauler and drive it in the parade. I thought I would be clever and get some magnetic signs made to dress up the truck, I was not so clever to remember Ford went to all aluminum bodies in 2015...

View attachment 305599

View attachment 305601

I also had my local tree service friend drop off a nice large stem from an ash he was taking down in town this week. I can put a lot more saws out on display when I want to.

View attachment 305602

View attachment 305603

Mark
You gonna be at Badger Steam & Gas?