Ultrasonic cleaners? What can I clean

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
5:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also uses only enough solvent to do the job rather than the whole tank full.

Most commercial usc have a recommended fluid level. Mine is within 1” of top of tank. Not full and it could damage the sonics. These are frequency generators, they work by cavitation of the fliud. There is nothing vibrating.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I went back and tried another batch of the Rust-Oleum mean green, this batch worked just like before, I think I must have gotten a bad bottle, another member messaged me that he had used the newer bottle and it worked just fine.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I went back and tried another batch of the Rust-Oleum mean green, this batch worked just like before, I think I must have gotten a bad bottle, another member messaged me that he had used the newer bottle and it worked just fine.

What model USC are you using. Curious.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have one from eBay, mine is 15 liters, my friend has a 30 liter

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one from eBay, mine is 15 liters, my friend has a 30 liter

Mind posting a link for the exact one? How long you had it? Any problems etc.
From what I understand guys are using simple green (is that cut 50/50 or how much?)
Need to clean some cases and some cylinders.
Actually been cleaning cylinders in an large crock pot -- but I am a redneck :D

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the mean green 2:1, I added a brass elbow to make it easier to change fluid, had this one for about 2-3 years now. My on off button for the Sonic part wore the cwording off, but still works just fine. This one takes about 3 gallon to fill

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic...948740?hash=item2599e89dc4:g:S-kAAOSwSn1cBM5V

Pretty sure that's the same one I have.

Always keep an eye on the basket to be sure the rubber feet are there. It will rub a hole in the tank over time if they get lost. Then the resulting leak will ruin the electronics.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well the mean green got me again, this time a new 572 cylinder, it actually ate part of the threads and weakened them, for now back to dawn and water, won't be risking mean green again, that cylinder kit retails for $329.99

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
-IF- you're still able to use that 572 cylinder, (thread inserts??) I think I'd be eyeballing the plating everywhere in the cylinder bore after finding the cleaner has attacked the threads.
Edges of ports and any pinholes in the rest of the bore would have me trying poke around for any soft or loose spots.
Shine a small, narrow beam, inspection light roughly strait down the wall of the bore and look for shadows being cast in any pitting.

I just went through a handful of blower cylinders that if you held the light and shined it across the hole, it looked like there were small specks of transfer that I couldn't seem to get out.
When I put the light beam halfway on the flange and half in the hole and shined it strait down the wall, you could see that the shiny spots were now dark, shadowed, holes and the glint of light off the edges was different looking.

Last edited:

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This cylinder even though brand new will be sent to the scrap yard, I wouldn't risk sending it to a customer to have issues with, the cost of learning.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This cylinder even though brand new will be sent to the scrap yard, I wouldn't risk sending it to a customer to have issues with, the cost of learning.
What does a typical cylinder look like that goes through the ultrasonic cleaner?

Is the mix on the mean green now different? I remember seeing some cylinders that came out looking pretty brand new.

Xr650jkallen

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use some stuff called awesome. You can get it by the gallon at lowes for 5$ . I haven't noticed it changing colors on anything yet. Simple green works really well but turns aluminum black fast.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What does a typical cylinder look like that goes through the ultrasonic cleaner?

Is the mix on the mean green now different? I remember seeing some cylinders that came out looking pretty brand new.

Seems since Rust-Oleum bought mean green they changed the chemical make up, with the old they would go in dirty ND come out a lot cleaner, especially if I used a brush, alluminum stayed bright and shiny.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems since Rust-Oleum bought mean green they changed the chemical make up, with the old they would go in dirty ND come out a lot cleaner, especially if I used a brush, alluminum stayed bright and shiny.

That's what I was thinking. I may recall seeing some things that looked very good from the USC but could not rightly recall if I had seen a cylinder for sure.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm using a redneck set up now with a flea market crock pot. The heat and mild liquid loosens most of the stuff then I scrub it off with a combination of a small wire brush and a tooth brush.
The USC would be a good move up.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Love me usc just have to find another solution, gonna look for the awesome stuff to try. Currently I have 3 gallons of white vinegar in mine