Tree Felling Technique Thread

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bark looks like identical to ash, but the wood is awful dark.

He said swamp ash, he said they’re out killing everything ash in sight because of EAB. Even out here we’re told to kill the ash so it can’t be spread to our here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a smooth bark hickory.
575be566ab1ef57f1ad0570e40bb5304.jpg
9fb88caf9be502e706bfd06f67009769.jpg

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We cut a shagbark about that size maybe a bit smaller last week. We sold it to the local railroad tie mill. Probably my least favorite tree to cut. Hard as a stone. Lol
They suck. Aren't worth much and take up to much room on the truck. There's better markets than ties for them up here.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We cut a shagbark about that size maybe a bit smaller than that last week. We sold it to the local railroad tie mill. Probably my least favorite tree to cut. Hard as a stone. Lol

They suck. Aren't worth much and take up to much room on the truck. There's better markets than ties for them up here.

Always hear about ties firewood ect, what do you guys do for poles? Pilings? Fender and bumper logs?

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No poles or pilings? Fender or bumper logs are for Ports and floating homes.

Our grades are like this. Veneer, export veneer, saw logs, low grade saw logs, scrag (pallet wood has to be straight can be as long as 24 feet short as 8 foot 8 inches smallest diameter is 6 inches) pulp wood is the lowest grade.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
929c3bfce4666b9da6b834210206c7ef.jpg
4a0097b9ab065728b0bf41eb7ad5d50a.jpg
dc77ed42037cc0a962285a55db179b10.jpg

The first two are top grade a special order for sailing masts, the last picture is of poles, next grade is piling, fender/floater/bumper logs are all special order normally. Typical grades are exports with a whole sheet full of grades, then domestic saw with a normally 4 to 5 different grades and finally pulp no firewood out here. Other then the special order stuff lengths are 41’ to 17’ this includes the foot of trim unless doing hardwood wood it’s normally a 42’ including trim and 17’ for a short log.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our grades are like this. Veneer, export veneer, saw logs, low grade saw logs, scrag (pallet wood has to be straight can be as long as 24 feet short as 8 foot 8 inches smallest diameter is 6 inches) pulp wood is the lowest grade.

Which scale is all of that done on? Out here it’s all scribner C

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which scale is all of that done on? Out here it’s all scribner C

International doyle scribner, each saw mill that buys saw logs could use either scale depending on size quality species . Scrag is bought by the ton an well as pulp.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
International doyle scribner, each saw mill that buys saw logs could use either scale depending on size quality species . Scrag is bought by the ton an well as pulp.

That wouldn’t fly out here all scaling is done by a third independent party certain bureaus have different territories all scalers have to be certified after a certain amount of time.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That wouldn’t fly out here all scaling is done by a third independent party certain bureaus have different territories all scalers have to be certified after a certain amount of time.

I wish that was the case here. You pull into the mill and hope a certain guy comes out. I have noticed scales can vary 1/2 cord or better depending on who does it. Depending on the logs that can be a lot of $$$.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish that was the case here. You pull into the mill and hope a certain guy comes out. I have noticed scales can vary 1/2 cord or better depending on who does it. Depending on the logs that can be a lot of $$$.

Here’s the other kicker though most mills won’t buy from a certified logger, forester, or driver one of the parties has to be certified to sell to the mill. If they want wood bad enough they will buy from a non certified party but you take a heck of a hit in price.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s the other kicker though most mills won’t buy from a certified logger, forester, or driver one of the parties has to be certified to sell to the mill. If they want wood bad enough they will buy from a non certified party but you take a heck of a hit in price.

One of the saw mills locally has guys bringing wood in on hay wagons. They are very accommodating.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Different than here for sure .