Tree Felling Technique Thread

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
3:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shallow face cut will be you in the ass too. Better know what your doing and when to use it. 1/3 the diameter of the tree for the depth of your notch minimum. Then pitch of the angle for your face cut etc.. ..... . It's the science of getting good at guessing, then getting a little better than that.
Can you elaborate as to why a shallow face can bite you in the a$$?

If I’m felling to a hard lean I typically use a shallow face, about 1/4 diameter.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These are Bitzer from AS he’s up in the Great Lakes he’s talked about how he used to back bore with the low scratch face or GOL style of cutting then figured why west cutting is faster and easier.
1b51b2af8935c87409e1cf5b6b4ffca8.jpg
c98aad5aa34106886f6b91ca816efc15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s the lowest humbolt with a snipe I’ve ever seen. Didn’t even pull any chunks out of the butt, that man knows wtf he’s doing.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you elaborate as to why a shallow face can bite you in the a$$?

If I’m felling to a hard lean I typically use a shallow face, about 1/4 diameter.

The leverage is greater more likely to have a chair. I was always taught to watch the tops doing hardwoods you face in till you see a slight bob towards your sight cut. One thing that gets me is all the boring and back strapping at some point you’re going to loose one or the tree will sit on your bar then what? I know Mason says our way of cutting out here doesn’t work then why do guys over there do it? Or why does someone like Columbia Helicopters bring guys from over here to cut back there?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s the lowest humbolt with a snipe I’ve ever seen. Didn’t even pull any chunks out of the butt, that man knows wtf he’s doing.

If I need to I cut that low as well most of my cuts are a touch higher on the high side mainly so I can swing my axe. A humboldt always seems like it has more control over the tree plus maybe you can get a little more if your butt is square.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Xp slinger does your tractor have a blade or pushbar you can use to give er a old fashioned push? Or even just tie the winch line high as you can get it and pull it where you want it? Just trying to think of the easiest way before you resort to wedging it over.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Xp slinger does your tractor have a blade or pushbar you can use to give er a old fashioned push? Or even just tie the winch line high as you can get it and pull it where you want it? Just trying to think of the easiest way before you resort to wedging it over.
If when I reassess the tree I’m not 100% confident in wedgeing I’ll just pull it with the winch. Don’t like pushing with my loader, I have this vision of the hinge breaking off and the tree coming backwards pivoting on the bucket or whatever I’m using to push with.

I could drop it more with it’s lean too, would just be messier with reference to effin up other trees. Against the lean puts it in wide open space. Trying not damage other trees if I don’t have to.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a hydraulic porta power with a 30 ton head.
I’d really like on of those jacks from Madsens but I’m not payin 2 grand

A 45 ton Silvey or Borntrager jack takes a hell of a seat to fit in the stump safely, but the good part is they are self contained with a pressure gauge and check valves internally.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What kind of jacks are you guys using?

412f2caaa7f184f9eeb7f18928860bae.jpg

One of mine, 45 ton with 1” aluminum plates bolted on. Always make sure the foot or the top has movement. I’ve owned a set of Silvey tree savers the big ones the foot was what moving piece allowing them to stay flat in the cut, but they take a hell of seat in the tree the smallest tree I could put them in was 28” the plates were 10” alone.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yeah, without a beefy FOPS I wouldn't consider that to be an option.

If when I reassess the tree I’m not 100% confident in wedgeing I’ll just pull it with the winch. Don’t like pushing with my loader, I have this vision of the hinge breaking off and the tree coming backwards pivoting on the bucket or whatever I’m using to push with.

I could drop it more with it’s lean too, would just be messier with reference to effin up other trees. Against the lean puts it in wide open space. Trying not damage other trees if I don’t have to.

Exactly.