Reaction score
Country flag

Newdave

OPE Member
Local time
1:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Jacob Rogers and Jed Walters did a video a couple of years ago on the channel he had while he worked at Eastside Tree Works that was great.
Having watched this video several times, along with all the others with Jed Walters on their channel, I was shocked and saddened to hear of his passing. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. It also reminds me just how dangerous trees can be as I start to clear the landing zone for the stand of dead fir trees I have to bring down in the coming weeks.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having watched this video several times, along with all the others with Jed Walters on their channel, I was shocked and saddened to hear of his passing. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. It also reminds me just how dangerous trees can be as I start to clear the landing zone for the stand of dead fir trees I have to bring down in the coming weeks.
I totally agree:) shirts are being sold to support his family if anyone is interested.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
E18E6C3C-08EB-4455-9EA7-AA2EF7907EC5.jpeg
Left a kickstand on my back cut, and I’m glad I did. Needed 1 wedge to pursued this tree in the direction I needed it to go..
The hinge looks back farther than normal, but it really wasn’t - I had to remove a large root flare from the front first. I performed my usual plunge cut here, with the exception of the slanted back cut. This works great if I’m ever in doubt that the crown weight isn’t quite right. If it settles back, it will sit there until I either place a coulle wedges, or bump it with the skidder. In this particular case, it started to settle back but never actually closed the gap. A few hits and it was over.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good enough hinge wood to just face it sideways to lean?
It was leaned pretty much close to my face. I just faced it uphill slightly, two hopefully center the road, which it ended up doing perfectly. Not worrying of damage or anything l, no utilities. Just would make it easier on us, otherwise it would have put limbs and part of a tip over barbeqire fence, just more of a mess for us. We planned on using the truck to drag it to a widespot up the road. Plan actually worked:)

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
52739BA1-44FF-4F64-9190-8DF8A3A12B69.jpeg
04BA207C-87B0-437B-9088-69E4D2E1F968.jpeg

Wanting to try something new, I performed a swinging dutchman - kinda.. I wanted to see if I nipped the side of my hinge, but then bore cut the hinge thickness instead of coming in from the back, if it would save out. It clearly did not. I wrecked a very nice butt log on this white oak trying. Almost 3 ft of heartwood pull.. Lesson learned. I also learned that when you bore cut after cutting through the end of the hinge like that, with the tree leaning that direction, you pinch the bar in a hurry, no warning. I had to self rescue with the backup saw 🤦🏻‍♂️ If there’s a silver lining to this failure, it’s that the tree swung exactly where I wanted it to, and it missed the young white oak growing downhill from it.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 366883
View attachment 366884

Wanting to try something new, I performed a swinging dutchman - kinda.. I wanted to see if I nipped the side of my hinge, but then bore cut the hinge thickness instead of coming in from the back, if it would save out. It clearly did not. I wrecked a very nice butt log on this white oak trying. Almost 3 ft of heartwood pull.. Lesson learned. I also learned that when you bore cut after cutting through the end of the hinge like that, with the tree leaning that direction, you pinch the bar in a hurry, no warning. I had to self rescue with the backup saw 🤦🏻‍♂️ If there’s a silver lining to this failure, it’s that the tree swung exactly where I wanted it to, and it missed the young white oak growing downhill from it.
Good on you for posting it up though, definitely how others learn.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, I agree with the premise of this thread.... and certainly the right person to get advise from in my world is :
This place. Pretty much nothing related to cutting the west coast huge pines applies here. Two video's really made impact from that collection, the first is this one:

Their site for those who work in the area's I do: