Tools needed to adjust a few saws...

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I'm the guy who's been afraid to tune my own saws but am at the point where I'm sick and tired of paying someone else to do something I should be able to do. My question is what specific tool (small screwdriver, spline, DD etc) do I need to adjust the saws listed below. Thanks for all of your help. Steve.
- Husqvarna 372xt
- Husqvarna 390xp
- Makita 7900
- Makita 6100

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
10:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I'm the guy who's been afraid to tune my own saws but am at the point where I'm sick and tired of paying someone else to do something I should be able to do. My question is what specific tool (small screwdriver, spline, DD etc) do I need to adjust the saws listed below. Thanks for all of your help. Steve.
- Husqvarna 372xt
- Husqvarna 390xp
- Makita 7900
- Makita 6100
Both the Huskies are plain flat-head screws, Idk about the Makitas. Just a tip, I bought a 10-pack of the Stihl tuning screwdrivers and I highly recommend getting at least two or three. I like to keep one in my chaps, one in my rig, one on my desk, one in the shed with the saw, one in my saw box, and the rest sit on my bench unless I need them.

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you sir. I'll look for those screwdrivers.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They've attempted to make the jets tamper proof but so far have not succeeded to .It depends on the carb .Some you can pry the limiter caps off and use a small piece of plastic line to turn the screw .Some have a cone shaped head ,slotted with a slot which a small screwdriver will fit .Of course as been mentioned you can buy the little kits with all kids of gizmos that should work .Specifically I can't answer as to makes or models because I've never seen every carb in the world only to say I've never had one stump me ---yet .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will mention one which was on a Makita model Dolmar designed concrete saw DPC 7321 .That one had plastic plugs in the cover shrouding .Those had to be removed to even get to the screws .Danged thing had been factory tuned so lean it didn't have any power .A little pep of fuel makes all the difference in the world with the power output .It takes fuel to make power . I will point out on a concrete saw the engine is rev limited by the ignition coil to somewhere around 8500 RPM with the wheel speed at around 5000 .So in essence it's tuned for about mid range .It's looking for torque not high speed as would be a chainsaw . On that machine it's around 5.7-5.9 HP .Not bad for 73 cc's

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
12:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both the Huskies are plain flat-head screws
No. The 372 XT has spine I believe. And a outer ring to lock it.
Buy the tool set. If you want to do it by the books, get a tech too.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
10:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tuning can be a pain but practice makes perfect and the satisfaction is worth it when the saw runs just right (and the chain cuts just right) We’ll help.