For the guys who get paid to fix saws

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
8:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm so slow, I get around $10 and hour to port a Saw. Sometimes I donate parts and I can't remember what I paid for them. I usually wind up replacing a bunch of other stuff at the port job, so nearly a full rebuild. Then I fix the "Rusty Muffler Syndrome" aka RMS for free as well.

Generally clean the entire Saw too, I hate dirty saws.

So all in, likely about $5 and hour if the patron pays for shipping back.

But it's a hobby for me.
Heck I have to make a running tally, (bill), as I work on saw . If I work on several saws at one time I forget what I did on one or the other!!!:eek::D

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
9:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm so slow, I get around $10 and hour to port a Saw. Sometimes I donate parts and I can't remember what I paid for them. I usually wind up replacing a bunch of other stuff at the port job, so nearly a full rebuild. Then I fix the "Rusty Muffler Syndrome" aka RMS for free as well.

Generally clean the entire Saw too, I hate dirty saws.

So all in, likely about $5 and hour if the patron pays for shipping back.

But it's a hobby for me.

that's not a "hobby"...

that's "Charity".

but that's the kind of person you are. :campeon:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great idea! Thanks Randy and Merry Christmas friend

You're welcome my friend. And Merry Christmas to you too. :)

that's not a "hobby"...

that's "Charity".

but that's the kind of person you are. :campeon:

Al is top notch ain't he? I like folks that I can count on to be consistent. He fills the bill.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I often get asked to fix other's saws. I usually just refuse. Although I use saws to earn money, working on them is my hobby. I only fix my own saws. There are the few exceptions here and there but if I started fixing saws, then I'm a saw shop and all that entails and the fun would immediately go away. What I do tell people is that I'm willing to assess their broken saw and give a guestimate of what it needs to be a running saw. I can usually diagnose an issue in about 10 minutes and am happy to do that to chew the fat with a local. My thing is that I buy and fix broken saws. If you want to buy bars/chains from me, I'll sell them and any other parts I stock but don't bring me your saw to fix. Also, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in any other type of OPE, just chainsaws. I will work on saws I've sold and occasionally other saws that belong to my previous customers.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may have just sold a saw that I worked on for a previous customer. Hundreds of hours on it, so it went out the door as is, ready for the next repair. The new owner wants to take a shot at fixing it and I have several project saws in progress.

One of my tips is to document the repair and by all means record the serial number so that you can tell them apart when the same model number shows up. Tracing the saw's history back is always worthwhile before you start in on the next repair. It never ceases to amaze me at the number of ways that an operator can beat up a chainsaw or the number of ways that a saw can break down, especially after a friend borrows the saw.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al is top notch ain't he? I like folks that I can count on to be consistent. He fills the bill.
Yes @drf256 is a top notch guy. He introduced me to this insanity.

However he is a super generous guy who always takes the time to answer my foolish questions. I've learned a great deal from him.

7sleeper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I really enjoy fixing the broken and blown up saws. Word is getting around that I fix them so I am getting quite a bit of Folks asking me to fix their saws and now their blowers and weedeaters. At first I was only charging what it cost in parts. But I am spending my time on fixing them and have quickly grown tired of doing it for free. A large portion of my work is carburetor cleanings and rebuilding with new gasket sets. Another is replacing fuel lines and filters and impulse lines. I am now getting request to sharpen chains as well. For the past few months I have kind of decided on some pricing after seeing the what the two local Stihl dealer charge per hour and their minumums. One charges $89 dollars an hour and the other is in the high $60 an hour ranges both requiring a half hour minumum. I am charging $25 dollars to remove a carburetor, completely disasemmble it, ultrasonic clean it, rebuild it using a new kit(price not included in the $25 dollars), put it back on the saw and tune it by ear in some wood. I am charging 5 dollars a piece to change a fuel line and filter and charging 5 dollars to replace an impulse line. The price of the new lines/filters are not included in the 5 dollar price. I was going to try to charge a flat rate of 35 dollars an hour but its hard to give a 80-100 dollar bill to someone who brought in a saw thats only worth 70 dollars. Further more half the times I eat sharping a chain, which I charge 7 dollars to hand file it and check/adjust the rackers, because the chains are so dull I cant even tune the saw. Am I in the ballpark on my prices? How do you decide what to charge, and finally, what do you charge?
Only my personal saws get handfilling, all else go onto the electric chain sharpens.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I often get asked to fix other's saws. I usually just refuse. Although I use saws to earn money, working on them is my hobby. I only fix my own saws. There are the few exceptions here and there but if I started fixing saws, then I'm a saw shop and all that entails and the fun would immediately go away. What I do tell people is that I'm willing to assess their broken saw and give a guestimate of what it needs to be a running saw. I can usually diagnose an issue in about 10 minutes and am happy to do that to chew the fat with a local. My thing is that I buy and fix broken saws. If you want to buy bars/chains from me, I'll sell them and any other parts I stock but don't bring me your saw to fix. Also, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in any other type of OPE, just chainsaws. I will work on saws I've sold and occasionally other saws that belong to my previous customers.

I fix some two stroke machines for three or four guys near me here. They are all good solid folks that deserve having a friend to fix things for them. That's it though.......no other local work will I do.

Motorhead

Cantre Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fixed a few 2 strokes for some neighbors and wound up with one guy that went around gathering every POS he could find to bring to me, I finally bid him adieu ,went in the house for lunch one day,when I came out this guy was doing me a favor by topping off my mix can with some straight gas,he said it was just a little bit and it wouldn't hurt any thing.:bash: I just buy them and fix them,when I have too many I sell them.

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fixed a few 2 strokes for some neighbors and wound up with one guy that went around gathering every POS he could find to bring to me, I finally bid him adieu ,went in the house for lunch one day,when I came out this guy was doing me a favor by topping off my mix can with some straight gas,he said it was just a little bit and it wouldn't hurt any thing.:bash: I just buy them and fix them,when I have too many I sell them.
Yes, you have to watch out for guys who want cheap saws fixed that either fall apart and need repairing or have been tortured to death. Several of these that have been brought to me have been straight gassed. Small engine companies won't fool with them. I usually turn them down also after a quick analysis.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had guys bring me cheap Poulans that need lines, bulbs, and carb rebuilds. I tell them it will be at least $60 and they are cool with it. You can buy the same saw running on Craigslist for $40-60 all day long. I tell them that and they still say fix it. Whatever floats your boat... It took me a few times to find the right amount of force needed to tighten the carb on those Wild Things without breaking that piece of crap plastic intake... I hate those things...

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had guys bring me cheap Poulans that need lines, bulbs, and carb rebuilds. I tell them it will be at least $60 and they are cool with it. You can buy the same saw running on Craigslist for $40-60 all day long. I tell them that and they still say fix it. Whatever floats your boat... It took me a few times to find the right amount of force needed to tighten the carb on those Wild Things without breaking that piece of crap plastic intake... I hate those things...
The classic case that ruined my desire to rebuild Poulan Pros was when i was carefully fastening the new cylinder into position. I heard a loud crack! The jug broke apart as if I had hit it with a sledge hammer.

That depressing experience eliminated all my future desires to rebuild these straight-gassed puppies. I doubt they were ever really designed for rebuilding the top ends. I will do what you say above-- replace fuel lines, bulbs, carbs, chains, etc.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never considered replacing a top end on one. Shoot, I have enough carcasses here I would just pull their carb, put new lines on it and hand them a different saw, lol...