For the guys who get paid to fix saws

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I offer to fix the saw and usually charge about half of what a dealer would charge. If they refuse to pay for the repairs, I keep the saw and make those terms clear before I work on it. If I like the saw and it runs, I usually offer to buy it when they come to claim it, at an amount equal to the repair bill. If I cannot make the saw run again, they owe me nothing and they have the option of leaving it with me for parts.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I charge $35 hr plus parts. When anyone tells me thats high I tell them they can get it done at one of the 3 Stihl shops in town at $79.50, $85.00, or $98.00 hr
price must reflect quality of work lol.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm so slow, I get around $10 and hour to port a Saw. Sometimes I donate parts and I can't remember what I paid for them. I usually wind up replacing a bunch of other stuff at the port job, so nearly a full rebuild. Then I fix the "Rusty Muffler Syndrome" aka RMS for free as well.

Generally clean the entire Saw too, I hate dirty saws.

So all in, likely about $5 and hour if the patron pays for shipping back.

But it's a hobby for me.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't work on shelf queens so i pressure wash them first can't stand to work on a dirty saw. A little trick for me i buy those 1.00 cans of foaming shower cleaner at the dollar tree and it will lift off all but the most caked on stuff and they smell like lemonade.