High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

The Wood ID Thread ( or name this wood type )

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I'd have to agree. It does look like maple...

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
5320704e8c56a8ec1eaa89ec978fa5bb.jpg

a3fe95cfa8fb47af31be7fc596b3aa9a.jpg

d70122eeef4b8c088b321fe078ff07eb.jpg

What wood is this? I’m thinking white oak? It’s HEAVY compared to the ash I’m used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Might be a red or silver maple? Hard maple won’t have a big heart like that in that size log

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Homemade
How did it cut ? Easy ? If it did its maple . If it cut really hard its hickory. It really doesn't matter its good firewood either way . Its either smoooth bark hickory , or silver maple .

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Homemade
How did it cut ? Easy ? If it did its maple . If it cut really hard its hickory. It really doesn't matter its good firewood either way . Its either smoooth bark hickory , or silver maple .

It cut rather hard. Could be the chain but it was harder then the ash and linden (basswood) that was in the pile.

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It cut rather hard. Could be the chain but it was harder then the ash and linden (basswood) that was in the pile.

Smooth bark hickory , is my guess. Especially if it cut hard

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
1:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I like how you say "from N MI" because that bark looks nothing like silver maple around here but the wood itself is spot on. Very interesting to me how the same species varies in appearance according to the region it grew in. I never would have guessed silver maple for the mystery wood in question.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard maple does NOT cut easy in my experiences lol. Unless it’s punky. Soft maple (red/silver) is quite a bit softer. Weaker hinge strength when felling it too. Soft maple is usually trashy wood, usually only good for ties/mat logs or firewood. Rarely do you get a big nice one that’s not wormy and goes for a sawlog. Hard maple if it’s nice with no heart goes for veneer. Makes nicer firewood as well.

Last edited:

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like how you say "from N MI" because that bark looks nothing like silver maple around here but the wood itself is spot on. Very interesting to me how the same species varies in appearance according to the region it grew in. I never would have guessed silver maple for the mystery wood in question.
I’ve also noticed over the years how it varies by region. Especially in the Maples and Oaks

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard maple does NOT cut easy in my experiences lol. Unless it’s punky. Soft maple (red/silver) is quite a bit softer. Weaker hinge strength when felling it too. Soft maple is usually trashy wood, usually only good for ties/mat logs or firewood. Rarely do you get a big nice one that’s not wormy and goes for a sawlog. Hard maple if it’s nice with no heart goes for veneer. Makes nicer firewood as well.

As far as I know we have ZERO hard maple around here. I have never seen any and never heard anybody talking about it. Silver maple and some other soft maple is very common though.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as I know we have ZERO hard maple around here. I have never seen any and never heard anybody talking about it. Silver maple and some other soft maple is very common though.
At my GTG, all those big large ugly twisted logs that were set up? That’s sugar maple. There may be other hard maples, but I think they are actually just nicknames for Sugar Maple

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At my GTG, all those big large ugly twisted logs that were set up? That’s sugar maple. There may be other hard maples, but I think they are actually just nicknames for Sugar Maple

That stuff should be called ROCK Maple. Hardest wood I ever cut. Easily harder than hedge or anything else around here. The only think I have cut that was close to it was some very very dry red oak. Red oak can get hard when it dries in log form, still not like that crap you had :) I am guessing you would have to go to Australia to find something as hard or harder.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That stuff should be called ROCK Maple. Hardest wood I ever cut. Easily harder than hedge or anything else around here. The only think I have cut that was close to it was some very very dry red oak. Red oak can get hard when it dries in log form, still not like that crap you had :) I am guessing you would have to go to Australia to find something as hard or harder.
It makes a good teacher for sharpening chain, that’s for sure

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should also mention Norway maple (a big invasive weed of a tree really lol) sits kind of in between hard and soft maple as far as hardness goes. It looks different than both as well.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Owner has no clue and this is the best pic available.
Red Oak-Elm-Maple???
123628985_10224760192139226_857848263522403531_o.jpg