The Small Dolmar/Makita Thread..Max 50cc class

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To convert you will need a 5105 clutch drum, a Stihl picco 7 pin rim. You will need to bore the rim I.d. out to .752” then with a 1/8” carbide Dremel bit you will need to extend each rim key way until the rim fits the shaft. To be able to use the same chains you will need to shorten the tail on your bar and drill 2 new adjustment holes in the bar approximately 1” closer towards the nose. Sounds like a lot of work but it’s really not that time consuming. I mentioned using the carbide bit in the Dremel because those rims are HARD. I tried a jewelers file and took the teeth off.
Or just buy a small spline picco rim from @Definitive Dave

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Monday I had the 4300 I just picked up out limbing. It cut so well that I used it for bucking the trunks up to 18” trunks on 3 trees. With the 3/8 lp conversion on it I was very pleased. Today I pulled the muffler and pulled all that corrugated metal crap out. I’ll retune it and give it another go.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Monday I had the 4300 I just picked up out limbing. It cut so well that I used it for bucking the trunks up to 18” trunks on 3 trees. With the 3/8 lp conversion on it I was very pleased. Today I pulled the muffler and pulled all that corrugated metal crap out. I’ll retune it and give it another go.
They like a slight timing advance too!

Greg Newman

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking to buy a new Makita ea4300 smurf for my daughter that is starting to help me work. She hasn't quite got the hang of starting a saw well yet, figured this saw would help her with that for now. What are all the different numbers signifying after the 4300 model number?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking to buy a new Makita ea4300 smurf for my daughter that is starting to help me work. She hasn't quite got the hang of starting a saw well yet, figured this saw would help her with that for now. What are all the different numbers signifying after the 4300 model number?
Everything after the main model designation is info on bar length, handle type, heated or not, and the likes.

Did You get one?

Greg Newman

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everything after the main model designation is info on bar length, handle type, heated or not, and the likes.

Did You get one?

Thanks for info.

No. Had a member here offer a 4300 but didn't think it had easy start. Trying to hold off for easy start. Also considering Makita 5000 smurf of course.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for info.

No. Had a member here offer a 4300 but didn't think it had easy start. Trying to hold off for easy start. Also considering Makita 5000 smurf of course.
Easy start breeds broken springs. I just got a Husky 450 Rancher in today, and the Easy Start spring had snapped. It's about the same starter recoil spring used on lots of saws. Yet another part waiting to break. :(

Greg Newman

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Easy start breeds broken springs. I just got a Husky 450 Rancher in today, and the Easy Start spring had snapped. It's about the same starter recoil spring used on lots of saws. Yet another part waiting to break. :(

Things just aren't made to last like they used to.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New is preferred but no dealers around me that I know of. Smurf color seems hard to find, red is easy to find.
Right!
I forgot that Makita saws are no longer teal in the US.
My apologies.

Makita is still teal in Croatia, but prices are through the roof.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate the feel of any easy start system, feels unnatural to me.
I don't even utilize the DeCo valve on my saws that feature one!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked overseas but no company wanted to ship to US.
Shipping to the US is too much of a gamble I guess.

I am weary about each and every box I ship out, especially those containing the recipients "property" and boxes that exceed the under 5lbs "small package" limit.

Teal Makita EA4300's rate higher on German eBay than red Dolmar PS-420's - about 50-100€ more.
Are You firm on wanting teal?

Greg Newman

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shipping to the US is too much of a gamble I guess.

I am weary about each and every box I ship out, especially those containing the recipients "property" and boxes that exceed the under 5lbs "small package" limit.

Teal Makita EA4300's rate higher on German eBay than red Dolmar PS-420's - about 50-100€ more.
Are You firm on wanting teal?

Yes on teal it's what my daughter wants. Leaning more towards a 5000.