STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, a guy near me has a late model MS-250 for $250.00. According to the pics it still has the original bar with most of the paint on it, so I guess this is a pretty low miles saw. They go for $419.00 new at work. Does that sound like a reasonable deal? Anything particularly good or bad about the 250? I like the way they feel in the hands, similar to my 40cc Echo and Husky saws.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
7:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, a guy near me has a late model MS-250 for $250.00. According to the pics it still has the original bar with most of the paint on it, so I guess this is a pretty low miles saw. They go for $419.00 new at work. Does that sound like a reasonable deal? Anything particularly good or bad about the 250? I like the way they feel in the hands, similar to my 40cc Echo and Husky saws.
Other than being easy to flood, they are a great saw and punch above their weight class. Even though they are a “homeowner” saw, many professionals continue to use them for lighter tasks. They are tough and proven.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, that's what I figured. Our state government uses 250's and I can't imagine they are treated kindly.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My little MS250 has cut wood since new probably 20yrs ago by now. It was the first year of the 250 after the 025. Between it and an 041 Pops and I cut a dozen cord or so a year plus a ton of fence line wood just to get it cleared. The last few years I cut around 25 cord a year with it as I purchased a big outdoor boiler. The dang thing starts right up and has way more snort than it should for it's size. A few basic mods and it really came alive. The 041 Dad purchased new and you need to make sure your fillings are still in your teeth when you're done with it but it has an old school grunt to it that makes it really fun to run.

I'd buy another MS250 in a heartbeat and am gathering 041's in varying conditions to have parts for when this one gets worn to the point of needing something quick or a full blown recondition.

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 2 cents on the 250 (from a certified stihl mechanic perspective) they are great little powerfull saws, some of the easiest to flood, and can have a real harsh kickback if you dont 100% commit to pulling it over... i have hurt my wrist more times not fully commiting to pulling a 250 over than i have trying to start my 210# compression ms661...

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds good. I'm going to look at the 250 tomorrow if I don't get back too late. I like the 40-50cc saws the best. Perfect size, weight, and power level for my uses.

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds good. I'm going to look at the 250 tomorrow if I don't get back too late. I like the 40-50cc saws the best. Perfect size, weight, and power level for my uses.
I am currently trying to decide what saw to resurrect from the scrap heap next in that category...LOL my options are ms261cmb, 029 super ( that would get an ms390 jug upgrade) or an ms362cm... both the 261 and 362 would need top covers in addition to jug and slug treatment...

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am currently trying to decide what saw to resurrect from the scrap heap next in that category...LOL my options are ms261cmb, 029 super ( that would get an ms390 jug upgrade) or an ms362cm... both the 261 and 362 would need top covers in addition to jug and slug treatment...
Well, decision time came today...i ended up getting it for $24 on sale... gotta love aliexpress... this will be mtronic saw #3 (4 if you count the 201t that i did a stock build on for my coworker... he hasnt taken delivery yet, as hes recovering from bicep reattachment surgery...LOL gonna be a little while before he can pull that over) in the stable... sometimes its nice to just let the saw do its thing... like the other night when i ran my 044 and my 661, stupid me forgot a carb screwdriver for the 044... didnt run it hardly at all, because it was rich for the air density...4 stroked about 10k...and had no way to adjust it...

So anyways, gonna have a 362 rebuild here in the next month...LOL

Screenshot_20240601_214806_AliExpress.jpg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perfect mild day to try out the 250 and I'm stuck inside with a nasty cold. Also need to till the garden, weeds are trying to take over. I'm on the down slope of it though, may put some saws in the trunk and stop at moms after work tomorrow and cut up some storm damage for her.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gave the 250 a test drive on a dead cedar today. I thought it would be soft but the core of the trunk was surprisingly hard, I guess from being dried out. The chain was skidding pretty good with clouds of dust, upon closer examination it had been filed with too small of a file without regard to angle. Ray Charles could have done better. I quickly touched it up with a 3/16 and got it at least functional. That done, she was cutting quite well as long as it got a good bite.

I richened up both screws quite a bit as it sounded awfully lean to my ears. For a low hours saw it has alot of burnt marshmallow color on the plastic next to the muffler, which would indicate high EGT. Will get an Oregon 20BPX chain for it on payday. So far I'm impressed with the 250. Very lightweight and good power level similar to my Husky 440 but with more low end grunt.

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gave the 250 a test drive on a dead cedar today. I thought it would be soft but the core of the trunk was surprisingly hard, I guess from being dried out. The chain was skidding pretty good with clouds of dust, upon closer examination it had been filed with too small of a file without regard to angle. Ray Charles could have done better. I quickly touched it up with a 3/16 and got it at least functional. That done, she was cutting quite well as long as it got a good bite.

I richened up both screws quite a bit as it sounded awfully lean to my ears. For a low hours saw it has alot of burnt marshmallow color on the plastic next to the muffler, which would indicate high EGT. Will get an Oregon 20BPX chain for it on payday. So far I'm impressed with the 250. Very lightweight and good power level similar to my Husky 440 but with more low end grunt.
open up the muffler and hang on...

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for some input from those that know better than me... i am thinking this cylinder will be ok to run, as none of the streaks catch a fingernail or a pick after a light hone, but curious what the collective think... i think i would prefer to work with this cylinder rather than the one i have coming, as this particular 362 has the newer slant fin jug, and the chinese copy cylinder is of the 1st gen flat jug...

Also... if anyone has any tips for mild port work, i would gladly take them... i am guessing i can at the very least gasket match the transfers, as they are smaller than the gasket opening, as is the crankcase, dont really have any tooling to get at the upper side of thing in this size jug, so not really planning on trying to do much with that, but any tips on opening up the intake and exhaust ports? The usual 2mm clearance on each side of the exhaust, and see what the timing numbers work out to to play with the intake and exhaust?

20240608_095231.jpg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a cheapskate so I would try it!

Found a new Carlton K1C-68 semi-chisel for $15.90 delivered so ordered that for the 250. Hopefully can try it again this week.